Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 09:12 AM

24,579 posts, read 17,327,951 times

Advertisements

Well we all know what happened recently. It was proposed by our elected Democrats to give Drivers Licenses to Illegal Aliens and they listed all sorts of positives to back this idea while ignoring the negatives.

I think we can all appreciate that many Illegal Aliens are already driving and if they cause an accident there is no recourse for the victims of the crash because the Illegal does not have a license or insurance.
That is a positive but the negatives are many. The Dems often say that the Illegal Aliens are just trying to get to work, well it is actually Illegal for a business to hire them so what job are they going to?

The Democrats pushed this Bill through and Charlie Baker vetoed it but now the Democrat majority over rode his veto. This does not seem right. Baker was concerned that once a license was granted to an Illegal Alien that they could use it to Vote and seek other citizen benefits. He asked that the license be a different colour or have a clear mark on it designating that the person is allowed to drive but not vote but it was all shot down by the Democrats. Why? His requests

Another oddity is that as a US citizen we need to provide all sorts of ID's, a Passport, Birth certificates, Marriage Licenses etc etc to prove who we are if we want a real ID but somehow the Illegal Aliens can get a regular license with only their word as to who they are.

Baker was also concerned that the Registry and Town Halls would also have issues figuring out who people are and what Rights are granted to them.

I always believed that a Mass Drivers License is a Privilege and NOT a Right so it can be easily revoked if I did not behave and obey the Law but Illegal Aliens break our common laws everyday. It seems that the Democrats are turning this Privilege into a Right.

This morning I heard that the Mom, Maureen Maloney, who's son was killed in 2011 after being knocked off his motorcycle and dragged a quarter of a mile by an Illegal Alien driving drunk is starting a petition to have the Drivers license issue put on the ballot in November.

I think this is a good idea since this controversial issue has caused so much debate in our state.

https://www.wgbh.org/news/local-news...rs-license-law

Should this issue be put to a vote by the citizens or should we allow our elected to dictate something that is so controversial?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 09:18 AM

10,046 posts, read 15,715,337 times
It's too important to not let the citizens have their say via initiative petition.

BTW, I've heard Maureen Maloney speak. That crime happened in Milford.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:19 AM

5,127 posts, read 2,707,627 times
There can be positives at the state level (until we take control of immigration at the federal level) but it should only be considered for those who are absolutely identifiable. For those who are not able to be absolutely identified they should not be eligible. And I agree with the above, we've already ceded our rights as the electorate with elected officials who act as if they are a ruling class. We elect them over and over so essentially we've given away those rights. And lots of dummies seem to be good with this arrangement.

Old 06-15-2022, 10:01 AM

16,667 posts, read 8,384,368 times
Ridiculous. Think about the amount of time people who are actually born here have spent going to the RMV and getting things done to get a license. I'm guessing these undocumented folks wont have insurance? What a joke. I have had ridiculous inconveniences happen at the RMV in my lifetime. Do these people even have to pay for registrations? Excise tax? there is a lot involved in getting a license, owning a vehicle and getting it registered. Let's just make it easy for people who are illegal though. Let's hand them some pot and a beer along with their license.

It's dangerous. It's putting more drivers on the roads as well. Irresponsible drivers.

Old 06-15-2022, 10:40 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,080,296 times
Is anyone naive enough to believe illegals are going to start paying for insurance? This is nothing but a “they have IDs, let them vote” scheme in the works.

Last edited by WestieWhitie; 06-15-2022 at 11:02 AM..

Old 06-15-2022, 11:53 AM

24,579 posts, read 17,327,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Ridiculous. Think about the amount of time people who are actually born here have spent going to the RMV and getting things done to get a license. I'm guessing these undocumented folks wont have insurance? What a joke. I have had ridiculous inconveniences happen at the RMV in my lifetime. Do these people even have to pay for registrations? Excise tax? there is a lot involved in getting a license, owning a vehicle and getting it registered. Let's just make it easy for people who are illegal though. Let's hand them some pot and a beer along with their license.

It's dangerous. It's putting more drivers on the roads as well. Irresponsible drivers.

This is certainly a problem. We have all been to the RMV and had to jump through hoops in getting a license or to have a vehicle registered. It used to be a real nightmare dealing with the rude workers that knew they held your future in their mean and twisted hand. In other words they could make it really inconvenient for you.

I believe it was the RMV in Brockton that was caught selling licenses and not requiring road tests for certain people.

The question is and I believe this was part of Charlie Bakers concern with this idea was, can the people at the RMV be trusted to do the right thing regarding Illegal Aliens? There is also the real concern that the already overworked clerks at the RMV might be overwhelmed and not be able to distinguish IF someone is eligible or not. Is that really in their job description to verify someones eligibility to acquire a license if they are in this country illegally?

Our state seems to have tossed aside common sense in matters such as recreational marijuana when there is no test to find out if someone is driving high and it really feels like they did this for the taxes that legalized weed would create.

I think they are doing the same with the driver licenses for illegals. They are already driving so why not collect more than just the gas tax from them. If Legal they would have to pay everything that we citizens do which would be a boon for the state. Who knows? What we do know is that Nation wide there is a push by the Democrats to hand everything that we have created, protected and worked so hard for over to our new neighbors. As they say technically it is not Illegal to be Illegal...

I still say something like this needs to be put to a vote.

Old 06-15-2022, 04:06 PM

7,934 posts, read 7,843,219 times
Think about it the other way. What illegal would knowing give a legit address and name? It's something that can be passed to INS. Also since it is not a protected class you cannot insure an illegal activity. In a nutshell not all car insurance cos willcover this

Old 06-15-2022, 05:19 PM

5,127 posts, read 2,707,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Think about it the other way. What illegal would knowing give a legit address and name? It's something that can be passed to INS. Also since it is not a protected class you cannot insure an illegal activity. In a nutshell not all car insurance cos willcover this
You obviously don't just take their word for who they are. Either they can be positively identified or they are ineligible. Some insurance companies will insure them and they do. It's not an "illegal activity" if they have a driver's license. It's much better to have people on the books and track-able, than operating unlicensed and under the radar.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:06 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,762,957 times
This is extremely unfair to people who have immigrated the legal way. After spending a ton of money, filling in mountains of paperwork, getting a medical check by a US approved doctor, background check, and then waiting nervously for a year or two to see what the authorities decide, an immigrant is called for an intimidating interview by US officials in their own country, and THEN they usually get into the country and are allowed to apply for a green card.

They don't automatically get a driver's license either. My husband went through the ordeal. They gave him a really have time getting a license even though he had been driving in England all his life, never had a speeding ticket, had driven successfully in the US on an international drivers' license.

So why not just be illegal? Sneak in. Get a license for free and do nothing to get it. The law that my husband had to follow was that if he sneaked in, he would be deported. I'm a moderate Democrat and this is totally unfair and just plain wrong. Follow the law and deport them. Either that or drastically change the immigration laws so that these people are checked out and pay their dues and become legal residents.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:31 PM

6,275 posts, read 5,151,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
This is extremely unfair to people who have immigrated the legal way. After spending a ton of money, filling in mountains of paperwork, getting a medical check by a US approved doctor, background check, and then waiting nervously for a year or two to see what the authorities decide, an immigrant is called for an intimidating interview by US officials in their own country, and THEN they usually get into the country and are allowed to apply for a green card.

They don't automatically get a driver's license either. My husband went through the ordeal. They gave him a really have time getting a license even though he had been driving in England all his life, never had a speeding ticket, had driven successfully in the US on an international drivers' license.

So why not just be illegal? Sneak in. Get a license for free and do nothing to get it. The law that my husband had to follow was that if he sneaked in, he would be deported. I'm a moderate Democrat and this is totally unfair and just plain wrong. Follow the law and deport them. Either that or drastically change the immigration laws so that these people are checked out and pay their dues and become legal residents.
But you don't have to be a citizen or a permanent resident even, to get a driver's license. Student visas, H-1s, L-1s etc. can all be licensed, and it's been that way for decades in most if not all states. They don't automatically get registered to vote, because the burden of proof is much higher to either show a passport, birth certificate, or proof of naturalization. This is all about increasing safety on the roads for all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts