Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 05:08 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on where in the world that they're coming from. I've been to Europe and they've got a free straight amount of Road regulations. I went to China and basically if it moves it moves. They're not trying to kill you. Then when I went to Hong Kong they practically tackle you if you try to jaywalk. It was like the difference between Barney Fife and RoboCop.

I think some of this really comes down to the insurance companies. Can somebody Sue an insurance company for not ensuring an illegal alien? It is not a protected class so it's going to have to have some other type of argument to justify it. The government cannot force a company to ensure and activity that can be considered illegal.

These differences between laws, rules, regulations and policies. For example most car rental companies will not rent to somebody under the age of 25 unless there is a significant deposit. Basically they want to make sure that someone has more Driving Experience to warrant renting out a car. This is not considered age discrimination against the young because a compelling argument can be made that you have to have experience and that's usually performed with time and that means you're going to be older when you have that experience.

https://www.autoinsurance.org/can-il...uto-insurance/

So this gets to be a little bit interesting you cannot buy car insurance until you get a driver's license. So with that and place it dramatically limits the number of people. It is not illegal for an insurance company to offer Insurance to an illegal alien however it's also not illegal to deny them this as well.

The majority of illegal aliens are those that have had their visas expire that are already within the United States. So your work visas and your student visas come to mind immediately. If you assume every illegal alien is a terrorist or someone trying to sneak across the border to go on social welfare well that just isn't the case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 05:33 AM

5,093 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Huh? Who is trying to force insurance companies to insure people they don't want to insure? As to your last paragraph, this is precisely the largest category of alien who could possibly be deemed eligible for licensing as they are generally well-documented and identifiable.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:42 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Especially if you don't have uninsured motorist protection or collision coverage. But even if you do, you're still on the hook for your deductible and a potential rate increase. Potentially reducing the number of uninsured drivers on the road is certainly a positive in my eyes.
I think you are too optimistic. In my opinion illegal aliens are not going to start getting car insurance for 2 main reasons:

1) most of them are poor or even destitute, they cannot afford to divert money toward an insurance.
2) they will be quoted the same as a new driver and that means the insurance is going to be crazy expensive.
I have had this exact experience and was able to get out of it only because the agent of a company was able in the end to verify my foreign driver license and foreign driving record. Unless a person can provide a record that is accepted from a US insurance company they are out of luck. And for the document to be worth it it means you kept paying in the foreign country for your insurance.
I was asked by multiple companies to pay for my insurance between 1/3rd to 1/2 the price of my car, per year!

Old 06-17-2022, 11:48 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I think it depends on where in the world that they're coming from. I've been to Europe and they've got a free straight amount of Road regulations. I went to China and basically if it moves it moves. They're not trying to kill you. Then when I went to Hong Kong they practically tackle you if you try to jaywalk. It was like the difference between Barney Fife and RoboCop.
And yet it doesn't matter, you are legally allowed to drive in the US for up to 1 year with a driving license released from almost any country in the world. So really, the issue aren't drivers unlicensed in the US. There are already millions of them legally allowed to drive every year.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
And yet it doesn't matter, you are legally allowed to drive in the US for up to 1 year with a driving license released from almost any country in the world. So really, the issue aren't drivers unlicensed in the US. There are already millions of them legally allowed to drive every year.
Not true. Licensing is under the jurisdiction of each state. Some states allow as little as 1 month. Others as much as 20 months. Other conditions apply. One issue is definitively driver's who are unlicensed because without a license you have no choice as to whether to purchase insurance nor would you be incentivized to take US driving instruction. Driving a car may be mechanically the same process anywhere on earth, but laws and customs obviously differ.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:40 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,967,143 times
I know what is happening here in California.
Illegals (and all others) must have proof of insurance before the dmv will register a vehicle.
Problem is, the illegals(not all though) put a down payment on insurance, get the proof needed to register the vehicle, then soon after cancel the insurance before they make any payments on it.

One needs no proof of insurance when renewing the registration.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:52 PM

That's not the case in MA. Once the insurance is cancelled the RMV is notified electronically and the plates are suspended. That doesn't prevent someone from driving on the unregistered plates, but they won't be renewing them nor will they be getting inspection stickers. The system is far from fool proof. The only way you might enhance it is to require payment of insurance in advance for the term of the registration. That obviously wouldn't be practical for most people, alien or otherwise. Another way would be to ensure that all suspended plates are physically seized. Huge undertaking.

Old 06-19-2022, 03:26 PM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I think that we can all agree that those who have willingly broken our Immigration Laws and are now trespassing in this state and country are not going anywhere because the Left have worked to give them a quiet amnesty where technically it is not Illegal to be Illegal. Now that they are here to stay no matter the additional crimes they might commit they are integrating into our society which means they are driving cars illegally to jobs they are legally not allowed to have and no one in power cares. If these people that are already driving can get some education on the rules of the road and insurance for the inevitable accidents they will cause we are all better off for it

BUT the BIG question that caused Charlie Baker to Veto this Bill is how to prevent these people that have no business being here in the state from voting. I seems that our Democrat elected want them to vote which means laws mean nothing in their pursuit of perpetual power.

Old 06-19-2022, 04:06 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think that we can all agree that those who have willingly broken our Immigration Laws and are now trespassing in this state and country are not going anywhere because the Left have worked to give them a quiet amnesty where technically it is not Illegal to be Illegal. Now that they are here to stay no matter the additional crimes they might commit they are integrating into our society which means they are driving cars illegally to jobs they are legally not allowed to have and no one in power cares. If these people that are already driving can get some education on the rules of the road and insurance for the inevitable accidents they will cause we are all better off for it

BUT the BIG question that caused Charlie Baker to Veto this Bill is how to prevent these people that have no business being here in the state from voting. I seems that our Democrat elected want them to vote which means laws mean nothing in their pursuit of perpetual power.
I'm not sure why the answer to this question needs rocket science. After all, there are numerous non-citizens today who have normal-looking MA licenses (except for the Real ID *), but their names are not forwarded to the voter rolls. Why would the illegal population not be handled the same way, especially if their licenses are gonna look different?

Old 06-19-2022, 04:29 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I'm not sure why the answer to this question needs rocket science. After all, there are numerous non-citizens today who have normal-looking MA licenses (except for the Real ID *), but their names are not forwarded to the voter rolls. Why would the illegal population not be handled the same way, especially if their licenses are gonna look different?
Why would their licenses look any different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts