Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 09:57 AM

5,109 posts, read 2,668,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Small steps amigo - the idea of noncitizens voting in any election was unimaginable just a few years ago yet here we are. Give it a few years and it will be federal elections now that local elections are the new normal, give it a few more years after that and we'll get to our undocumented "guests".
Election integrity only matters to some people when it's a political ruse aimed at a candidate they don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 12:02 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Small steps amigo - the idea of noncitizens voting in any election was unimaginable just a few years ago yet here we are. Give it a few years and it will be federal elections now that local elections are the new normal, give it a few more years after that and we'll get to our undocumented "guests".

That is so true. It is small steps and the old "Give them an inch and they will take a mile" scenario. We have seen happen with the Lottery. The lottery started off as one weekly drawing and now we can legally gamble every 5 minutes with Keno and scratch dozens of scratchies in between. The slippery slope also comes into play with many Gun Right issues and we have certainly seen it in the Marijuana industry. Marijuana started off as for medical use only and now we can get it for fun and they are talking about pot cafes next. A town near me has 3 outlets.

Our Elected saw legalizing weed as a money maker so they jumped on it because it benefited them. There still is no way to test an impaired driver suspected of being high but that is ok since any accident they might have caused are seen as anectodes.

I don't know why anyone would have an issue with putting this controversial topic to a vote in November. We did that with pot so why not?

Old 06-21-2022, 01:32 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Is your life materially worse off due to the lottery or marijuana? If so, how. Gun laws have gotten tighter in MA not looser.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:06 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Election integrity only matters to some people when it's a political ruse aimed at a candidate they don't like.
No need for thinly veiled atrocious insinuations. Go back and read what I said.

By the way, I'm a naturalized US citizen (who therefore earned the right to vote the HARD way), and a MA resident, and I care 100% about election integrity.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
That is so true. It is small steps and the old "Give them an inch and they will take a mile" scenario. We have seen happen with the Lottery. The lottery started off as one weekly drawing and now we can legally gamble every 5 minutes with Keno and scratch dozens of scratchies in between. The slippery slope also comes into play with many Gun Right issues and we have certainly seen it in the Marijuana industry. Marijuana started off as for medical use only and now we can get it for fun and they are talking about pot cafes next. A town near me has 3 outlets.

Our Elected saw legalizing weed as a money maker so they jumped on it because it benefited them. There still is no way to test an impaired driver suspected of being high but that is ok since any accident they might have caused are seen as anectodes.

I don't know why anyone would have an issue with putting this controversial topic to a vote in November. We did that with pot so why not?
I'm not against putting it to vote. What I am against is one side using cockamamie conspiratorial theories and slippery slope arguments to justify their position.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
No need for thinly veiled atrocious insinuations. Go back and read what I said.

By the way, I'm a naturalized US citizen (who therefore earned the right to vote the HARD way), and a MA resident, and I care 100% about election integrity.

Feel free to take everything personally but I assure you that neither this thread nor all my comments revolve around you.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:54 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
If you don't like the laws that your representatives are passing, the most effective route is voting for different representatives.

If a veto-proof majority of representatives vote in favor of something, it's quite likely that is close to the will of the people. I don't think the disconnect in this particular case is between representatives and the people of the state, but between you and the majority of people in Massachusetts.

Of course, it is your right to organize a ballot question and then push as hard for it to pass as you want.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Feel free to take everything personally but I assure you that neither this thread nor all my comments revolve around you.
Was hard not to here, as you were directly commenting on a reply to my comment. But I'll take your word for it and move on.

Old 06-21-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Was hard not to here, as you were directly commenting on a reply to my comment. But I'll take your word for it and move on.
It had nothing to do with you. I applaud your migration and desire to become a citizen as I do with all naturalized citizens. I also don't generally blame non-criminal people who come here illegally. My issue is with those who enable it.

Old 06-21-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
It had nothing to do with you. I applaud your migration and desire to become a citizen as I do with all naturalized citizens. I also don't generally blame non-criminal people who come here illegally. My issue is with those who enable it.
Those of us who paid the price, literally and figuratively, to become naturalized citizens are often the most passionate about not letting illegals "get a free ride" to voting rights and shortcutting the journeys we had to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts