Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2022, 11:29 AM

6,123 posts, read 5,092,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I am amazed that you didn't understand that I was talking about their driving records in their home countries. And in this state, we let the illegal defenders walk out the back door of the court house or we don't notify DHS about an illegal breaking the law at all.
Then why would you be opposed to them being licensed & insured, and establishing a driving record in this country? Wouldn't that create the transparency you want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 11:43 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,277,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
You aren't bringing any facts, only an opinion, to your argument.
And you are believing the steaming pile of crap spewed by the Democrats who have enacted the law.

Tell me htfdcolt, where are the statistics showing the fundamental problems faced by this state because of the many unlicensed illegals driving around? Show me just one anecdote that proves that this was an itch that desperately needed to be scratched.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Then why would you be opposed to them being licensed & insured, and establishing a driving record in this country? Wouldn't that create the transparency you want?
They are here illegally. What part of that has you confused????

Old 06-24-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
They are here illegally. What part of that has you confused????
Circular argument. Understand your position--they're illegal, so in your opinion they have no rights whatsoever.

Old 06-24-2022, 12:53 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,164 times
Quote:
Circular argument. Understand your position--they're illegal, so in your opinion they have no rights whatsoever.
You don't have to agree with the argument, but it's not hard to understand. Someone here illegally shouldn't be extended the privilege of being allowed to operate a motor vehicle on the road. Extending them privileges, even those that result in a net positive for society, encourage undesirable behavior.

I don't think "so they don't deserve any rights?" is really so much of an argument as it is an appeal to some emotional reaction against "conservatives". More reasonable arguments might include:

1) They're here, nothing is going to really be done about that, and it's safer to regulate their driving to the extent we can

or

2) Immigration is grossly unfair and anything we can do to resist (federally imposed) immigration laws is a good thing.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
You don't have to agree with the argument, but it's not hard to understand. Someone here illegally shouldn't be extended the privilege of being allowed to operate a motor vehicle on the road. Extending them privileges, even those that result in a net positive for society, encourage undesirable behavior.

I don't think "so they don't deserve any rights?" is really so much of an argument as it is an appeal to some emotional reaction against "conservatives". More reasonable arguments might include:

1) They're here, nothing is going to really be done about that, and it's safer to regulate their driving to the extent we can

or

2) Immigration is grossly unfair and anything we can do to resist (federally imposed) immigration laws is a good thing.
If you look at my posts above, I've been arguing based solely on (1). My comments about not deserving any rights were sarcasm...which is tough to convey in this forum and online in general.

Old 06-24-2022, 06:11 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,164 times
Quote:
If you look at my posts above, I've been arguing based solely on (1). My comments about not deserving any rights were sarcasm...which is tough to convey in this forum and online in general.
I mean sarcasm generally involves claiming the opposite of what is intended, not exaggerating someone else's argument to make it look stupid. The "you need to be here legally to get a driver's license" crowd isn't proposing something crazy, that's the way the law actually does work in most states and even in Massachusetts until recently. It's not like they're proposing immigration checkpoints at every town line and a deportation for people who can't quickly produce their papers.

I'm squarely in category 1) myself, but I don't think anyone benefits from having make-believe arguments. Not everyone operates pragmatically--or more likely no one operates pragmatically for everything. If you made the ideologically opposite sort of argument, say something like locking up in mentally ill or drug-addicted homeless people against their will would result in better outcomes for them and for society at large, some people would still be opposed on the grounds that even the mentally ill or drug-addicted have the right to self-determination. Some people might be swayed by data supporting the underlying assertion that forced care is of a net benefit, but quite a few would dig their heels in and stick by their fundamental principles.

In this case, I think enough people in Massachusetts are either in category 1 or category 2 in this particular case that a ballot initiative would be a colossal waste of everyone's time.

Old 06-25-2022, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I mean sarcasm generally involves claiming the opposite of what is intended, not exaggerating someone else's argument to make it look stupid. The "you need to be here legally to get a driver's license" crowd isn't proposing something crazy, that's the way the law actually does work in most states and even in Massachusetts until recently. It's not like they're proposing immigration checkpoints at every town line and a deportation for people who can't quickly produce their papers.

I'm squarely in category 1) myself, but I don't think anyone benefits from having make-believe arguments. Not everyone operates pragmatically--or more likely no one operates pragmatically for everything. If you made the ideologically opposite sort of argument, say something like locking up in mentally ill or drug-addicted homeless people against their will would result in better outcomes for them and for society at large, some people would still be opposed on the grounds that even the mentally ill or drug-addicted have the right to self-determination. Some people might be swayed by data supporting the underlying assertion that forced care is of a net benefit, but quite a few would dig their heels in and stick by their fundamental principles.

In this case, I think enough people in Massachusetts are either in category 1 or category 2 in this particular case that a ballot initiative would be a colossal waste of everyone's time.
It will take me about 2 seconds to fill in the circle with my vote against this so I don't know what you mean by a colossal waste of everyone's time.

And while you are probably correct about the state's stupid electorate, they do frequently defeat loony liberal legislation on ballot questions.

Old 08-24-2022, 05:54 PM

Looks like it may get put to a vote after all

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/08/...publicans-say/

Old 08-25-2022, 09:55 AM

248 posts, read 442,710 times
Quote:
Well for sure they won't have the Real ID *, which requires proof of citizenship.

What I'm saying is--there is obviously a process in place today, to prevent other legal non-citizens who own driver's licenses from getting on the town voter rolls in MA. This would require an expansion of that process to include the undocumented license holders.

Real ID does not need proof of citizenship, it does require proof of legal residence.
In other words , one can have Real ID and not be a citizen YET legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts