Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2022, 07:41 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
They do vary among populations but the idea that one race is inherently smarter or dumber than the other is, well, racist. It has absolutely nothing to do with race and everything to do with how the culture handles those showing higher than average intelligence and aptitude.

But as others have said this thread had gone off the rails, why don’t we get back to b*thing about expensive houses?
Lol right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2022, 10:50 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is total nonsense. I spent my career doing product development in metro Boston high tech. If you don’t have the aptitude, you’re going to have lousy productivity no matter how hard you work at it. You’re either born with the cognitive ability or you’re not. You need to be at a certain level to create intellectual property. You don’t get to be your manager’s manager without being competent along the way.

Let's face it. If your father was a factory worker instead of a doctor and you had lived one town away in New Bedford, your career probably would have been working for minimum wage and making sandwiches at Jersey Mike's. But because you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, you now have the luxury of dining at Jersey Mike's daily while looking down at the people serving you.

Old 07-17-2022, 04:29 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Let's face it. If your father was a factory worker instead of a doctor and you had lived one town away in New Bedford, your career probably would have been working for minimum wage and making sandwiches at Jersey Mike's. But because you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, you now have the luxury of dining at Jersey Mike's daily while looking down at the people serving you.
Please put extra mayo on that.

Old 07-17-2022, 06:25 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,530,516 times
Quote:
Please put extra mayo on that.
Garçon - please destroy this sandwich with globs of nauseating pus for no tip.

Old 07-17-2022, 06:54 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,736,446 times
Quote:
My wife's father was a factory worker. She makes close to 200k/year now working 32 hours/week. Does that count?

Last edited by matrix5k; 07-17-2022 at 07:46 AM..

Old 07-17-2022, 08:48 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
My wife's father was a factory worker. She makes close to 200k/year now working 32 hours/week. Does that count?

It sounds like your wife has a strong work ethic. In the example I provided, the doctor father probably got the slacker son the fancy job.

Old 07-17-2022, 08:50 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
The new CFO where I work told us about her parents jobs and where she came from. She’s done well. It’s possible to break the glass ceiling but again it sounds like she was very intelligent and was able to break the ceiling that way.

Old 07-17-2022, 09:14 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Aptitude and talent are nothing if they’re not developed and nurtured, and sadly you could be born an Einstein yet die an absolute nothing in a culture where education is not valued, violence and thuggery is glorified and leaders want you as nothing but a guaranteed mindless vote and a broke, powerless victim whose aid money they can grift.
Quote:
This is total nonsense. I spent my career doing product development in metro Boston high tech. If you don’t have the aptitude, you’re going to have lousy productivity no matter how hard you work at it. You’re either born with the cognitive ability or you’re not. You need to be at a certain level to create intellectual property. You don’t get to be your manager’s manager without being competent along the way.
Quote:
It's a little bit from column A and a little bit from column B. How you are raised is immensely important, but at some point people have responsibility for their own progress in life. I certainly don't have to look much further than my aunts and uncles, all of whom had the same parents and roughly similar opportunities (with the exception of strong gender expectations) and ended up with wildly different life outcomes.

It's also probably worth noting that economic success isn't the only indicator of a good life. My aunt never went to college, will never be rich, and has never lived more than 10 miles from where she grew up, but is the single happiest and most fulfilled person I have ever known.

Old 07-18-2022, 06:56 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
It's a little bit from column A and a little bit from column B. How you are raised is immensely important, but at some point people have responsibility for their own progress in life. I certainly don't have to look much further than my aunts and uncles, all of whom had the same parents and roughly similar opportunities (with the exception of strong gender expectations) and ended up with wildly different life outcomes.

How's the old saying go. "You can lead a horse to water....."

Being able to provide your kids with good opportunities is one thing, but it's on them to make something of it. I've seen quite a few kids come in for internships that there parents helped set up, and take full advantage of that and really do well for themselves. Smart, motivated. I gladly wrote them letter's of recommendation to a Grad school program, or watched them get hired up by a good company at graduation. Then there was that one VP's kid who strolled in at 10AM and slept in the bathroom almost every day. I don't think anyone here was too eager to hire him. Still it's definitely an advantage in life to have such opportunities presented to oneself.

My Grandfather was actually a factory worker in the Schrafft's building in Charleston back when it made candy in the 50's. I have some cool pics taken inside there. My dad flipped pizzas until I was 14.

Old 07-18-2022, 05:01 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
It sounds like your wife has a strong work ethic. In the example I provided, the doctor father probably got the slacker son the fancy job.
Jeez. I had job titles like Chief Architect in 200+ engineer startups. I spent 30 years making sure I was the most competent person in the building. Any development project that blew up got assigned to me. I had Electrical Engineering and Computer Science degrees as an undergrad with Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society. Academic scholarships and loans paid most of college. Yep. Slacker and family connections were the secret to my success.

My slacker years started at the Great Recession after I broke 50 when I opted to telecommute from a couple of vacation homes for my cash flow instead of climbing back into the Boston tech startup grind again. I’d had enough of the long hours and pressure. I decided I’d rather ski 100 days and chill on the sailboat.

In the nature-nurture thing, I had smart parents who had advanced education. They made sure I was fed intellectual rocket fuel growing up. Intellectual curiosity. Critical thought. A lot of autonomy and personal responsibility. Work ethic & education ethic. That was all from birth to maybe age 10 or 12 when it matters. It’s a huge advantage.

And my grandfather was chief engineer at Dawson Brewery in New Bedford. In the company photos, he was the guy in the coverall who made the company go. My maternal grandfather had a similar background in Pennsylvania Dutch country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts