Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2022, 06:34 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times

Advertisements

Here's what over $500K gets you here in Burlington:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M40360-37016

It's been empty for months, on a main road (Rt. 62), and is owed back taxes. Bring on the backhoe!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 08:58 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Here's what over $500K gets you here in Burlington:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M40360-37016

It's been empty for months, on a main road (Rt. 62), and is owed back taxes. Bring on the backhoe!!

A developer will probably do as you suggest, tear that down with a backhoe. Then build a 3,000 sq ft colonial like the one that's diagonally across the street and easily fetch $1.5 mil plus for it.

Old 07-01-2022, 11:46 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
A developer will probably do as you suggest, tear that down with a backhoe. Then build a 3,000 sq ft colonial like the one that's diagonally across the street and easily fetch $1.5 mil plus for it.
I remember when they built that house across the road back in 2015 and sold it for $885K - I thought it was nuts that anyone would pay that for a house on 62. The builder got the old house for $313K - ah the good old days.

Old 07-09-2022, 11:11 PM

7,570 posts, read 3,248,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I think for prices to really tank would require a mass influx of foreclosures and shortsales following massive job layoffs. We haven't really seen that (yet) so i don't think prices will tank like they did following the 2008 recession, and only in areas considered "not nice" by the vast majority of C-D'ers.

I think what we will see is price stagnation and some slight declines in various regions across the state. But I don't have my crystal ball.

I bought my condo during the 2008 recession. Built in 2005 and originally sold for $325K, and i purchased it during the housing crash for $160K. It was still in like-new condition. I was looking at a bunch of short-sales condos back then. All drastically reduced.

I didn't pay much attention to the SFH market though

I believe you've got that right. It takes foreclosures to increase the supply such that the RE market melts down. The job market is too strong and that's not happening this go round. This go round is going to be a stock market recession. RE is probably going to stay flat for a while and reorganize (less well located properties will take the bigger hit and will lead -- condos may go down). Well located 3 bdrm 2 bath SFH's will soften (but, this will not be a repeat of 2008--2012/6)... I think it is going to be more of a softening than a crash.

It's your basic Supply / Demand curve. Demographics are making demand high (along with the job market).

Old 07-10-2022, 05:39 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,498 times
$700K is definitely the new $300K, and $120K is the new $60K. Problem is every $300K house is now $700K but not all $60K paychecks are now $120K.

Old 07-10-2022, 06:27 AM

531 posts, read 425,617 times
^Bingo.
My great aunt used to say “everything increases but the paychecks”.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:51 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I want enough land so I don't see my neighbors when I am in the backyard and they don't see me. Whatever that takes. Here, we have 2 acres, our house in SC has 1/2 an acre. Both are private.
That's my next home. I told my wife I want a house where I can walk out into the backyard butt-naked and nobody will see me.

Old 07-11-2022, 11:11 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
^Bingo.
My great aunt used to say “everything increases but the paychecks”.
Wise phrase. It is unfortunate that the biggest increase people get is when they jump to another org but it is what it is.

I read a news story about this recently in the real estate section of a prominent outlet (I forget which one). The author was arguing that we will not see a crash like we have in times past. They say that is because the market is now not the same as it ever was. She wrote that a larger than ever portion of the market is owned by corporations, and that is on the rise. Companies are parking their cash in real estate investments. That means that all of those have very little risk of default on any loans, of which there are very few since companies typicall buy with cash. So even if there are some defaults here and there, it will not amount to a crash and as more companies buy real estate, the mess risk there is of a bubble bursting any thereby any substantial fall in prices. I forget what other details there were but it made sense to me.

Old 07-11-2022, 11:35 AM

16,396 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I am still confused on the whole corporations buying homes thing. Like where are they buying homes? Just in the city or in the suburbs? are they holding them for employees?

Old 07-11-2022, 02:14 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Wise phrase. It is unfortunate that the biggest increase people get is when they jump to another org but it is what it is.

I read a news story about this recently in the real estate section of a prominent outlet (I forget which one). The author was arguing that we will not see a crash like we have in times past. They say that is because the market is now not the same as it ever was. She wrote that a larger than ever portion of the market is owned by corporations, and that is on the rise. Companies are parking their cash in real estate investments. That means that all of those have very little risk of default on any loans, of which there are very few since companies typicall buy with cash. So even if there are some defaults here and there, it will not amount to a crash and as more companies buy real estate, the mess risk there is of a bubble bursting any thereby any substantial fall in prices. I forget what other details there were but it made sense to me.

Corporations like Zillow?

https://themortgagereports.com/90044...-crash-podcast

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...c-ba3e73c3cc80
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts