Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2022, 08:25 AM

181 posts, read 124,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Curious how he would know who the absolute dead last kid in his class was.
simple - there are 100 kids in each class. the school publishes a matriculation list (most elite private schools do this, it's all they care about).

Gettysburg was the lowest rank school on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 08:47 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Good. The people who pay a lot to live here deserve some trees and space.
A very valid opinion to have!

Just don’t turn around and then say we’re “running out of space”. Boston has some of the least densely populated suburbs in the country. If we woke up one morning and Hamilton, Boxford, Carlisle, Sherborn, etc. all looked like this* or this* then we’d suddenly have A Lot more housing.

*Apologies if it opens up staring at the sky. Streetview never seems to work right on my phone and I’m away from my laptop for the next hour.

Old 06-29-2022, 09:02 AM

531 posts, read 425,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
A very valid opinion to have!

Just don’t turn around and then say we’re “running out of space”. Boston has some of the least densely populated suburbs in the country. If we woke up one morning and Hamilton, Boxford, Carlisle, Sherborn, etc. all looked like this* or this* then we’d suddenly have A Lot more housing.

*Apologies if it opens up staring at the sky. Streetview never seems to work right on my phone and I’m away from my laptop for the next hour.
Funny, we looked at 15 Olive a few years ago when we were thinking of buying a house with in-law potential.

We're all pretty on of each other here, but we had little interest in a large yard since we don't have kids. A garage would have been nice tho. Oh well.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
Funny, we looked at 15 Olive a few years ago when we were thinking of buying a house with in-law potential.

We're all pretty on of each other here, but we had little interest in a large yard since we don't have kids. A garage would have been nice tho. Oh well.
Funny coincidence! I really just picked two streets at random that were walking-distance to Market Square.

There are times when I feel people hear “dense community” and it immediately brings to mind places like Dorchester or Everett, full of triple deckers and lacking trees.

But there are clear blueprints for walkable, gridded communities in New England like in Newburyport or Marblehead that are both “nice” (plenty of tree cover, near pristine parks and good schools, etc.) and still relatively dense. Adding people doesn’t need to be miserable so long as it’s done in a smart and well-planned way.

Even with smaller lot sizes, there are plenty of nice gardens and back yards in Newburyport. On the other hand, so many 1 acre homes in sparsely populated towns in the metro area seem to let most of their land go to waste (think bare front and back yards with maybe a deteriorating plastic play structure from when their teens were toddlers). And incorporating garages/driveways into homes on small lots isn’t impossible either.

Old 06-29-2022, 12:55 PM

113 posts, read 154,383 times
Quote:
Do you guys think this is true or will we someday go back to the days of getting a decent home for 375-450k?
not inside of 128. maybe not inside of 495.

Old 06-29-2022, 01:09 PM

531 posts, read 425,617 times
Quote:
On the other hand, so many 1 acre homes in sparsely populated towns in the metro area seem to let most of their land go to waste (think bare front and back yards with maybe a deteriorating plastic play structure from when their teens were toddlers).
Absolutely true. The house I grew up in was on an acre of land that abutted conservation land and to your point, it really kind of went to waste. We had a decent-sized porch off the back of the house and then a metal swing set further back that was eventually tossed once us kids got older. We maybe went on five hikes total through the trails back there in the 30 years we lived in that house. That's why I just had no interest in having some huge yard. In my mind it just means maintenance and upkeep. There are so many other things I'd rather be doing than raking or mowing the lawn.

Old 06-29-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Absolutely true. The house I grew up in was on an acre of land that abutted conservation land and to your point, it really kind of went to waste. We had a decent-sized porch off the back of the house and then a metal swing set further back that was eventually tossed once us kids got older. We maybe went on five hikes total through the trails back there in the 30 years we lived in that house. That's why I just had no interest in having some huge yard. In my mind it just means maintenance and upkeep. There are so many other things I'd rather be doing than raking or mowing the lawn.
i think many people want big lots for the privacy

Old 06-29-2022, 01:15 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
People with large yards might not necessarily use the yard space but it doesn't mean they want another house right there in their backyard. If they did they'd have chosen a place like Dorchester or somerville as you mentioned. People like space and privacy and they should be allowed that. If someone can buy a 6k sq ft house why can't someone else have a small house on a large plot of land? People want different things. I think this has been debated before that people don't want every sq inch of the state covered with homes. This isn't India or China.

Old 06-29-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
If they did they'd have chosen a place like Dorchester or somerville as you mentioned.
If you read my post more carefully, you’ll see I say that density doesn’t need to look like Dorchester or Somerville. There are plenty of homes in downtown Newburyport that are close together but with functional yards and without a direct line of sight between your first floor bathroom and the neighbor’s third floor bedroom!

Old 06-29-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
If you read my post more carefully, you’ll see I say that density doesn’t need to look like Dorchester or Somerville. There are plenty of homes in downtown Newburyport that are close together but with functional yards and without a direct line of sight between your first floor bathroom and the neighbor’s third floor bedroom!
what should someone do if they want more privacy and space than can be had in Newburyport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts