Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 07:24 AM
r_p

230 posts, read 221,768 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I would prefer a place where its easy for me to buy/own guns but harder for any random idiot. So MA is perfect for me right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 07:34 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
I grew up in the Boston burbs and moved to the Raleigh area about 7 years ago. Violent and property crime crime are more common here for sure, but I wouldn’t describe it as random. I think the vast majority of it is gang related, which is more prevalent here than MA. I’ve never felt unsafe here.

That being said, I do think it’s a problem, and it’s definitely noticeable when coming from a place like MA. What I consider to be the bigger problem is people seem to be sort of impartial about it, saying things like “most of the crime is only in certain neighborhoods” or “it’s domestic, or it’s gang related so it doesn’t affect me”. I think that’s sort of a lousy attitude to have, but that’s just me.

Old 11-05-2022, 08:27 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
You do realize 99% of gun violence is perpetrated by those who are not allowed to own a firearm open carry or not, right?
That is absolutely a stat you just made up. Here are some actual stats on gun violence mortality from the CDC. As you can see, Massachusetts has some of the strictest gun laws and also the lowest gun mortality rate.

Do you know where they have even less gun violence than MA? AUSTRALIA where they were smart enough to outlaw guns after only one mass shooting. An island full of the descendents of criminals and they handle crime better than us.

This whole argument of "the criminals have guns so I need guns" is ridiculous and quite easy to turn on it's head because if the criminals don't have guns then you don't need guns. So, wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of all the guns and then no one dies? While there is plenty of gun violence perpetrated by people who don't legally own guns they often get them from people who do legally own them like a parent or other relative or often they get taken when a home is burglarized (that gun really helped prevent that crime didn't it???). So, if no one was permitted to own a gun then it would become even harder for the criminals and the mentally ill to get their hands on them.

Need a gun to hunt? How sporting is it to shoot down Bambi from a perch in a tree with an assault rifle? That's super sporting. I've shot a gun once in my life but could probably nail that shot. Maybe go out and buy a bow and arrow instead and actually make it a challenge. Hunting with a gun IMO is akin to playing golf if they made the cup 20 ft wide.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s...ty/firearm.htm

Old 11-05-2022, 08:38 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
That is absolutely a stat you just made up. Here are some actual stats on gun violence mortality from the CDC. As you can see, Massachusetts has some of the strictest gun laws and also the lowest gun mortality rate.

Do you know where they have even less gun violence than MA? AUSTRALIA where they were smart enough to outlaw guns after only one mass shooting. An island full of the descendents of criminals and they handle crime better than us.

This whole argument of "the criminals have guns so I need guns" is ridiculous and quite easy to turn on it's head because if the criminals don't have guns then you don't need guns. So, wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of all the guns and then no one dies? While there is plenty of gun violence perpetrated by people who don't legally own guns they often get them from people who do legally own them like a parent or other relative or often they get taken when a home is burglarized (that gun really helped prevent that crime didn't it???). So, if no one was permitted to own a gun then it would become even harder for the criminals and the mentally ill to get their hands on them.

Need a gun to hunt? How sporting is it to shoot down Bambi from a perch in a tree with an assault rifle? That's super sporting. I've shot a gun once in my life but could probably nail that shot. Maybe go out and buy a bow and arrow instead and actually make it a challenge. Hunting with a gun IMO is akin to playing golf if they made the cup 20 ft wide.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s...ty/firearm.htm
Australia has its unfortunate fair shae of crime.

Can someone explain to me please what an assault rifle is?

Howmuch deer hunting have you done:>)

If OP dislikes Raleigh for whatever reasons she can move. That real estate inventory and interest rates do not necessarily satisfy her needs and wants is unfortunate. It may take a good realtor and some adjustment for wants and needs.

Old 11-05-2022, 08:52 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_p View Post
Honestly, I would prefer a place where its easy for me to buy/own guns but harder for any random idiot. So MA is perfect for me right now.

Not really. MA has an overwhelming number of restrictions intended to punish law abiding owners. And not sure how this new "shall issue" court ruling will play out here, but until now your 2a rights are at the mercy of whoever your local police chief is. Good luck getting an LTC in the city of Boston, for instance. And sure I suppose it's harder for the "random idiot" to buy a gun (probably resulting in a few less accidents), but MA judges are especially kind to criminals who get caught playing with guns (you know the stuff that kind of matters). I'd much rather be caught here in MA as an armed felon, than in ME, FL or just about anywhere else.

Old 11-05-2022, 08:54 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
What I consider to be the bigger problem is people seem to be sort of impartial about it, saying things like “most of the crime is only in certain neighborhoods” or “it’s domestic, or it’s gang related so it doesn’t affect me”. I think that’s sort of a lousy attitude to have, but that’s just me.

Oh we get that attitude here as well, including on this very forum.

Old 11-05-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Australia has its unfortunate fair shae of crime.
Every country has its fair share of crime. Crime is going to happen. You're avoiding the real issue though . . . what Australia lacks is GUN violence. How many mass killings do you hear of that involve a knife or a bow and arrow??? When was the last time you heard about someone walking into a school and killing 10 kids with a slingshot??? When was the last time you heard of a guy walking into his old office and killing 5 of his former co-workers with a baseball bat???

Your attempt to distract from the discussion at hand is laughable and typical of someone who has no evidence to rely upon to build their argument. The only argument I hear from gun owners is "it's our right." Yes, well that right was established in a very different time than we currently live where things like the police didn't exist.

Quote:
Can someone explain to me please what an assault rifle is?

Howmuch deer hunting have you done:>)
Again, not the point and merely a distraction from the discussion at hand. I've never hunted in my life. I'm lucky enough to be able to go to the store and buy the food I need. I don't have a need to kill things myself to get food and I don't remotely think of such an activity as "fun." I'd love to see some statistics on this but I imagine the percentage of the population that actually have a requirement to hunt because they don't have access to food in a store is likely quite small.

As for "what's an assault rifle?" again you're just deflecting. Call it a bazooka. Call it a midnight special. Call it a 357 magnum. I don't care what kind of firearm you're talking about. It's way harder to hunt with an arrow than it is a bullet.

Old 11-05-2022, 10:11 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Every country has its fair share of crime. Crime is going to happen. You're avoiding the real issue though . . . what Australia lacks is GUN violence. How many mass killings do you hear of that involve a knife or a bow and arrow??? When was the last time you heard about someone walking into a school and killing 10 kids with a slingshot??? When was the last time you heard of a guy walking into his old office and killing 5 of his former co-workers with a baseball bat???

Your attempt to distract from the discussion at hand is laughable and typical of someone who has no evidence to rely upon to build their argument. The only argument I hear from gun owners is "it's our right." Yes, well that right was established in a very different time than we currently live where things like the police didn't exist.

Again, not the point and merely a distraction from the discussion at hand. I've never hunted in my life. I'm lucky enough to be able to go to the store and buy the food I need. I don't have a need to kill things myself to get food and I don't remotely think of such an activity as "fun." I'd love to see some statistics on this but I imagine the percentage of the population that actually have a requirement to hunt because they don't have access to food in a store is likely quite small.

As for "what's an assault rifle?" again you're just deflecting. Call it a bazooka. Call it a midnight special. Call it a 357 magnum. I don't care what kind of firearm you're talking about. It's way harder to hunt with an arrow than it is a bullet.
The usual I do not know answer:>)

Old 11-05-2022, 10:59 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
...and trying to deflect to technicalities on rounds per minute, muzzle speed, etc. are ways of avoiding the problem.

Central point is--we should all be able to agree that 2A notwithstanding, there should not be unfettered access to guns for all. Going back to the OP's post, the latter is what makes a lot of us feel unsafe. Thankfully here in MA we still have the town/city police chiefs empowered to make that decision, unless the recent SC ruling changes that.

Old 11-06-2022, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Ahhhh . . . the usual there's no reasonable argument or statistics to support gun ownership in this country except "Second Amendment!!! 'Merica!!!!" so I'm going to try to redirect the conversation response.

Who cares what's an assault rifle and what's semi-automatic and what's a bolt action, blah, blah, blah, blah? You may as well be talking about an official Red Ryder, carbine action, 200-shot, range model air rifle, with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time. What you're talking about has absolutely nothing to do with anything that I'm talking about.

I love when all of these yahoos come out of the woodwork anytime there's a political thread here in the MA forum. Nice meeting you. Thanks for coming by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts