Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 06:24 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
For some that might be the reason they move to a lower cost of living area - so they can afford nicer cars and vacations.
Makes sense - given the current absolutely insane real estate prices a nice house in a top tier town can easily eat up a $200K paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2022, 06:42 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
For some that might be the reason they move to a lower cost of living area - so they can afford nicer cars and vacations.
And those are the people that end up moving back (and financially having trouble doing so).

Old 11-12-2022, 08:59 PM

846 posts, read 682,651 times
Quote:

I'd rather drive a Toyota Corolla (which is a great car btw) in Massachusetts than a Mercedes in North Carolina.

Old 11-12-2022, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
I'd rather drive a Toyota Corolla (which is a great car btw) in Massachusetts than a Mercedes in North Carolina.
Id rather drive a Toyota Corolla in NC.

Old 11-13-2022, 03:34 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
That and if you own real estate in Boston, you’re going to gain more equity than real estate in Raleigh (although Raleigh is catching up). So while you may not immediately realize those gains, it will be in your net worth should you choose to someday retire to a lower COL area.

Most people that move to a lower COL area don't save more money, because they end up spending more money. So instead of that money sitting in equity in real estate, it goes to things like cars, vacations, etc.
Are the majority of people who move out of state strictly for lower cost of living reasons already homeowners in the more expensive area? I would've thought they're mainly renters since they cannot get over the obstacle of having enough of a down payment for a house and their budgets are tightening with increases in rent.

Old 11-13-2022, 06:39 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Are the majority of people who move out of state strictly for lower cost of living reasons already homeowners in the more expensive area? I would've thought they're mainly renters since they cannot get over the obstacle of having enough of a down payment for a house and their budgets are tightening with increases in rent.
Possibly a mix of the two. Some are probably homeowners who just can't afford to upgrade from their starter home in MA but can get a nicer/bigger home in a lower COL area.

Old 11-13-2022, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I can see why a Corolla would appeal to the masses for economical reasons, however, to say it's a great car is up for debate. lol

Old 11-13-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
I’m not sure. We were already homeowners. I was sitting in traffic for about 2 hours a day, and it really started wearing on me when we had kids. Then the winter of 2015 happened, and I’d come home every day and spend an hour on the roof chipping away at ice dams. That was when we said “what are we doing here “, and decided it was time.

Cost of living was on the list but it wasn’t high up. We’d never leave family and friends just for cost of living.

Old 11-13-2022, 09:22 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I can see why a Corolla would appeal to the masses for economical reasons, however, to say it's a great car is up for debate. lol
If there's going to be a debate, sign me up for team "it's a great car". It's the world's best selling car, is affordable, and is insanely reliable. They are best in class at what they are designed to do, which in my mind makes them "great".

Quote:
While I agree, I think this is a bit of "avocado toast fallacy". Most people aren't unable to afford Massachusetts because they're driving a Mercedes instead of a Toyota. The Raleigh area average home price is $475k, metro Boston is about $800k. Sure, every little bit makes a dent. I'd guess most of that savings goes towards a nicer house in a more central location.

Old 11-13-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
If there's going to be a debate, sign me up for team "it's a great car". It's the world's best selling car, is affordable, and is insanely reliable. They are best in class at what they are designed to do, which in my mind makes them "great".

While I agree, I think this is a bit of "avocado toast fallacy". Most people aren't unable to afford Massachusetts because they're driving a Mercedes instead of a Toyota. The Raleigh area average home price is $475k, metro Boston is about $800k. Sure, every little bit makes a dent. I'd guess most of that savings goes towards a nicer house in a more central location.
All what you said is true re Corollas but I'd beg to argue that it doesn't come close to the seat comfort of the Volvos and certain Mercedes models. Also, I'll say it again but a Corolla or similar vehicle isn't going to do much for you in a serious crash. I'll personally pay up for the safety ratings of another vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts