Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 11:08 AM

7 posts, read 5,586 times

Advertisements

I moved to Raleigh NC about 2 years ago, previously spent 3 years in Florida. I had lived in the North shore of and Boston mostly my entire life up until then, and now I’m suddenly struck with a kind of “homesickness”.
I don’t know if the news is over exaggerating but the number of random shootings here is ridiculous. The mass shooting that happened just raised my anxiety to the next level. I can’t understand why Raleigh is always purported to be safe for families. As a woman, I’m scared to go out on my own (I do, but I never felt like I was surrounded by sketchy people in Massachusetts).

We do own a large, beautiful house here. But I find the annoyingly cute “southern charm” tagline to be untrue and silly. I miss the culture of New England and it’s so refreshing now in comparison to here, but never appreciated it before.

I could go on a longer rant, but looking at the mortgage interest rates and total lack of decent properties up there is sobering.

I’m not really here to ask for solutions because there are none, but just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 01:56 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulumTraveler View Post
I moved to Raleigh NC about 2 years ago, previously spent 3 years in Florida. I had lived in the North shore of and Boston mostly my entire life up until then, and now I’m suddenly struck with a kind of “homesickness”.
I don’t know if the news is over exaggerating but the number of random shootings here is ridiculous. The mass shooting that happened just raised my anxiety to the next level. I can’t understand why Raleigh is always purported to be safe for families. As a woman, I’m scared to go out on my own (I do, but I never felt like I was surrounded by sketchy people in Massachusetts).

We do own a large, beautiful house here. But I find the annoyingly cute “southern charm” tagline to be untrue and silly. I miss the culture of New England and it’s so refreshing now in comparison to here, but never appreciated it before.

I could go on a longer rant, but looking at the mortgage interest rates and total lack of decent properties up there is sobering.

I’m not really here to ask for solutions because there are none, but just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.
I used to live in the Midwest before moving to the Northeast. While I miss the general friendliness of the folks (genuine or not), the number of permitless / open carry laws that have been passed in Texas, Indiana, Ohio, etc. since then give me definite pause now, if I were to contemplate living in one of those states. It sure as heck would not make me feel safer.

Old 11-04-2022, 02:31 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,070,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I used to live in the Midwest before moving to the Northeast. While I miss the general friendliness of the folks (genuine or not), the number of permitless / open carry laws that have been passed in Texas, Indiana, Ohio, etc. since then give me definite pause now, if I were to contemplate living in one of those states. It sure as heck would not make me feel safer.
You do realize 99% of gun violence is perpetrated by those who are not allowed to own a firearm open carry or not, right?

Old 11-04-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
You do realize 99% of gun violence is perpetrated by those who are not allowed to own a firearm open carry or not, right?
I'm gonna listen to gun stats from you, of all people?

Even if true, these are new laws and you can't use the past to extrapolate. Just think about how permitless, open carry influences the otherwise ordinary bar dispute. Inebriated men with guns, gee what can go wrong? What might've been a fistfight or stabbing could now result in multiple people shot & killed. Wonderful. And I'm sure law enforcement are just thrilled about it.

Old 11-04-2022, 04:36 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
I'm gonna listen to gun stats from you, of all people?

Even if true, these are new laws and you can't use the past to extrapolate. Just think about how permitless, open carry influences the otherwise ordinary bar dispute. Inebriated men with guns, gee what can go wrong? What might've been a fistfight or stabbing could now result in multiple people shot & killed. Wonderful. And I'm sure law enforcement are just thrilled about it.
Maine passed constitutional carry when I lived there. It became the wild west, and suddenly you had all these random shootouts at bars and grocery stores. Oh wait...

Old 11-04-2022, 04:47 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Maine passed constitutional carry when I lived there. It became the wild west, and suddenly you had all these random shootouts at bars and grocery stores. Oh wait...
They said the same thing about Florida in 1989, the first US state to become a "shall issue" state. It was going to be knee-deep in blood as Florida went full boat Wild West gunslinging High Noon shoot outs in the streets on a daily basis.

Never happened. Crime went down instead of up.

There are now 17 states with Constitutional Carry - no permit, license, or restrictions whatsoever required so long as you can legally purchase and own a firearm. Crime is only up in the blue cities, same as it always was. The rest of those 17 states, not a peep of violence from the law abiding gun owners.

An armed society is a polite society. Suddenly, the bad guys are no longer the only ones capable of lethal force.

Old 11-04-2022, 05:23 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
I believe both NH and Vermont are open carry with no permit. As long as you are of legal age to own a gun.

Old 11-04-2022, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I believe both NH and Vermont are open carry with no permit. As long as you are of legal age to own a gun.
While I don't like that either, it's because of the hunting cultures. Neither state has major dense urban areas where the likelihood of routine conflicts escalating into gunfights is higher thanks to permitless carry.

Old 11-04-2022, 06:30 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
While I don't like that either, it's because of the hunting cultures. Neither state has major dense urban areas where the likelihood of routine conflicts escalating into gunfights is higher thanks to permitless carry.
If you can find us a correlation between permitless carry and an increase in shootings, I am all ears. Maine happens to be the safest state in the country, and I want to say the homicide rate has fallen even further since it passed.

Old 11-05-2022, 06:55 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Crime is only up in the blue cities, same as it always was. .
Patently untrue. Tulsa OK says hi, for starters. Keep on working through the stats from right wing ciities. They're not positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts