Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2023, 02:57 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Problem is Americans love their cars. They'd rather sit in traffic for 1-2 hours in the comfort of their 5-7 seater car than take a train or bus. But they also want the cars to drive themselves now so they can play on their phones while on the highway.
And cars aren't going anywhere. The point is that traffic is getting worse and worse and even car loving Americans have a threshold for how much of it they'll be willing to tolerate. Yeah, they'll sit in a traffic for 90 minutes is the alternative is a 90 minute (assuming no delays or breakdowns) train ride plus a 15 minute drive to the train station and a 10 minute walk to the office.

We can't increase our roadway capacity in a meaningful enough way to enable to eliminate or drastically reduce traffic across the metro area. We can, however, drastically improve transit capacity and efficiency without demolishing entire neighborhoods. If you make that 90 minute train ride 60 minutes on trains that run every half hour and improve reliability, you'll encourage many people to reconsider their 90 minute drive in traffic. The goal shouldn't be to try and get everyone out of their cars. People will always choose to drive. The goal should to be to create options so that not everyone is forced to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2023, 03:16 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Would have been nice if companies kept WFH around but too much greed and insecurity there as well. That was an option so that people weren't forced to drive or take the train but sounds like people don't like this either. This is why I get very irritated with this forum. WFH gave people an option to move further out to find better prices but nope. Let's keep folks miserable.

Old 06-22-2023, 03:48 PM

3,626 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It's thoughtless and inconsiderate to just build all over the place because this is a place people want to be. In guess the people already here don't matter ? They just need to adapt to overcrowded roads, new construction everywhere ? People are complaining about this is NH as well. So much for quaint quiet New England towns anymore.
I agree with you on this....I sometimes dread going anywhere ....everywhere is so crowded and then dealing with irate, reckless people on the roads to get to your destination makes it even worse. So thankful for WFH.

Old 06-22-2023, 04:15 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I am also thankful to still be WFH. I am fine with my situation but these threads get me fired up in that no one wants to be part of any type of solution other than build, build, build. Not that that is even an option for everyone. Not everyone can afford a newly built home or even the rent on a newly built apt complex near the city.

Old 06-22-2023, 04:52 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Should point out that 1.5 mill/20% down at 300k MFJ is 40% DTI. Would you get approved? Yeah. Is that a good idea?

Old 06-22-2023, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Should point out that 1.5 mill/20% down at 300k MFJ is 40% DTI. Would you get approved? Yeah. Is that a good idea?
Whatever happened to the golden rule of no more than 25-30% of your gross income goes toward housing costs (mortgage, insurance, taxes or rent)? Is that even remotely possible for people to do nowadays based on the high cost of housing/rates/rents vs incomes not keeping up? I know if I were to sell and buy something else now the % of my income that goes toward housing would skyrocket and probably exceed that recommended % unless I got an even higher paying job. Pretty sad when you already make above the average HHI in MA and have to consider getting an even higher paying job solely for the purpose of trying to move/buy a different place.

Old 06-22-2023, 05:26 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
There you guys go assuming buyers have no assets other than their down payment again.

Old 06-22-2023, 05:46 PM

Quote:
There you guys go assuming buyers have no assets other than their down payment again.
ok, they could also sell their crypto and just pay cash for their house....how's that?

Old 06-22-2023, 06:21 PM

Quote:
There are a ton of people here living paycheck to paycheck... even in million dollar homes. That's how crazy things have gotten.

Old 06-22-2023, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Whatever happened to the golden rule of no more than 25-30% of your gross income goes toward housing costs (mortgage, insurance, taxes or rent)?
I'm not saying it's a good idea. I'm saying people are doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts