Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 03:21 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,792,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I don't know for certain...but they are younger (mid to late 20's) Guessing it's a housing/rent cost issue...they probably have no choice but to take a more affordable rent in NH and a horrible commute vs having most of their earnings squandered away to outrageous MA rent/housing prices.
Kinda hard to believe. I looked at apartments.com and I don't see any apartments in Madbury. There are a few in nearby Dover but only a handful that is actually that cheap.

If they bought a condo in Dover at the beginning of the pandemic, they would be up 70%... for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2024, 03:25 PM

23,737 posts, read 18,825,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Kinda hard to believe. I looked at apartments.com and I don't see any apartments in Madbury. There are a few in nearby Dover but only a handful that is actually that cheap.

If they bought a condo in Dover at the beginning of the pandemic, they would be up 70%... for now.

Just because there aren't now doesn't mean there weren't when they moved in. And apartments.com is notoriously overpriced and not reflective of the general market. It's not how people in this area look for rentals, unless they are a transplant from elsewhere moving in blind.

Old 05-05-2024, 03:46 PM

3,681 posts, read 1,890,200 times
Quote:

I don't know what he pays for rent but a quick search on zillow in that area, Dover...I'm seeing rents for $1500-1700...some $3K in the mix too. If he got something around $1500--1700 that's a heck of a lot cheaper than any Waltham, Lexington area rent.

Old 05-05-2024, 04:28 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,792,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I don't know what he pays for rent but a quick search on zillow in that area, Dover...I'm seeing rents for $1500-1700...some $3K in the mix too. If he got something around $1500--1700 that's a heck of a lot cheaper than any Waltham, Lexington area rent.
I looked at Craigslist, and while you aren't getting anything in Waltham for that much anymore... you might be able to slum it in Acton or Maynard for about that much. Commute wouldn't be great but certainly better than all the way up there.

Old 05-05-2024, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I looked at Craigslist, and while you aren't getting anything in Waltham for that much anymore... you might be able to slum it in Acton or Maynard for about that much. Commute wouldn't be great but certainly better than all the way up there.
I'll be curious to see how long before he quits and finds a job closer or moves closer to the current job. I don't see how anyone can sustain that type of commute, especially in winter or summer tourist season (Thurs/Friday afternoon commutes home).

Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM

15,811 posts, read 20,573,398 times
Our office just changed the WFH home policy.

It's now 3 days in office min for "worker bees" and 4-5 days in office for managers/directors.

Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,134,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Our office just changed the WFH home policy.

It's now 3 days in office min for "worker bees" and 4-5 days in office for managers/directors.
What was it previously?

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

15,811 posts, read 20,573,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
What was it previously?
2 days min for workers. Managers/Directors could work fully remote if desired.

A lot of folks i work with were 5 days/week regardless, so no changes to my dept. However there are a lot of managers I haven't seen more than 1 day a month in the office. The kicker is there is no seating for them, so they are going to be located to a different office building a mile away.

Last edited by BostonMike7; Yesterday at 11:20 AM..

Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,134,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
2 days min for workers. Managers/Directors could work fully remote if desired.

A lot of folks i work with were 5 days/week regardless, so no changes to my dept. However there are a lot of managers I haven't seen more than 1 day a month in the office. The kicker is there is no seating for them, so they are located to a different office building a mile away.
Yeah that last part is odd and is a pretty drastic change from allowing full remote to 4-5 days in office. A way to make people self select out so the company doesn't have to force layoffs?

Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM

That is strange...so the worker bees get the option of more WFH days than managers now? Quite a reversal from the original scenario you described! Guess since middle managers/directors are making the most $$ and the bigger drain on dollars it's either get your butt back in the office or, as simplex theorized above, c-ya later alligator!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts