Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2024, 06:34 PM

3,886 posts, read 2,058,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
^^^ That was a hot topic in neighboring Connecticut from 2018 through 2023.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/conn...theft-psa.html
You'd think locking your car whether in your driveway or while out in public would be a no brainer. I see our friend Geoff D commented....living in his south coast bubble, right near Fall River...no crime can happen there so he doesn't lock his car! lol That was in 2018.....I wonder if he locks up now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2024, 07:02 PM

18,512 posts, read 9,681,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
You'd think locking your car whether in your driveway or while out in public would be a no brainer. I see our friend Geoff D commented....living in his south coast bubble, right near Fall River...no crime can happen there so he doesn't lock his car! lol That was in 2018.....I wonder if he locks up now?
New Bedford

Old 05-19-2024, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
New Bedford
that's a high crime area too!

Old 05-20-2024, 10:20 AM

13,097 posts, read 22,323,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
It's weirdly a point of pride for some. When we built our cabin in the Western Maine mountaints, we had a neighbor over and he laughed when my wife grabbed the keys to get something out of the car. "You can tell flatlanders because they lock their cars in their own driveways." Same for my wife's family in their small, picturesque town in Vermont. The cars are unlocked in the driveway or out and about in town. My parents (dead end street in a small South Coast town) never locked their cars either. I'm not sure about the Maine neighbor, but my wife's parents have had cash and valuables taken from their cars multiple times. My parents had their cars rummaged through for cash (along with the whole neighborhood). But they both stubbornly insist that it's "just local kids" or that "it's a one-off" and they continue to leave the car doors unlocked.

I've lived in urban neighborhoods for a long time. I've never had my car broken into. I don't leave valuables in the car (and certainly not visible) and I lock my doors. It's not hard to do, and it's sort of inexplicable that people would continue to do it even after having things stolen. People literally target suburban and rural neighborhoods because of people like this.

Old 05-20-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
It's weirdly a point of pride for some. When we built our cabin in the Western Maine mountaints, we had a neighbor over and he laughed when my wife grabbed the keys to get something out of the car. "You can tell flatlanders because they lock their cars in their own driveways." Same for my wife's family in their small, picturesque town in Vermont. The cars are unlocked in the driveway or out and about in town. My parents (dead end street in a small South Coast town) never locked their cars either. I'm not sure about the Maine neighbor, but my wife's parents have had cash and valuables taken from their cars multiple times. My parents had their cars rummaged through for cash (along with the whole neighborhood). But they both stubbornly insist that it's "just local kids" or that "it's a one-off" and they continue to leave the car doors unlocked.

I've lived in urban neighborhoods for a long time. I've never had my car broken into. I don't leave valuables in the car (and certainly not visible) and I lock my doors. It's not hard to do, and it's sort of inexplicable that people would continue to do it even after having things stolen. People literally target suburban and rural neighborhoods because of people like this.
I always lock up and have never had my vehicle broken into. I did have something odd happen a few years ago where I came home from Market Basket of all places and noticed two key marks in parallel only about 1-2 inches in length right in the hood of my shiny new black car (had the car like 2 weeks at the time and the only place I went that particular day was MB so either someone did it there or perhaps during the night walking by the house?)! I took it to a bodyshop and guy said I'd have to have whole hood painted to make it blend and look right. I said no way am I having a brand new car's hood totally re done already....I was so upset. I worked out what was basically an even swap with my dealer. They had an in house body shop so could fix it easier/cheaper than me having to file a insurance claim, plus they got to sell me another new car within a very short time! Win win for both of us.

Old 05-21-2024, 07:51 AM

15,889 posts, read 20,796,091 times
I grew up in Revere. I lock my car even when we go camping in the middle of the woods and nobody is around. Just a habit that dies hard with me due to hanging around with shady folks in my youth.

I keep my cars relatively empty of anything. If you looked in the windows you'd see a fairly empty car. Nothing in the glovebox or center console.

Meanwhile my wife loves to leave her laptop/ipad/whatever on the front seat of her car with the doors unlocked. I always check...

Old 05-21-2024, 07:56 AM

1,904 posts, read 1,431,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I lock my car even when we go camping in the middle of the woods and nobody is around. Just a habit that dies hard
Yeah, I was at a kid's baseball game in a very quiet suburb yesterday. I locked my car despite standing about 15 yards away from it. I thought in my mind it was absurd.

Old 05-21-2024, 08:15 AM

9,406 posts, read 6,534,619 times
Quote:
I grew up in Revere. I lock my car even when we go camping in the middle of the woods and nobody is around. Just a habit that dies hard with me due to hanging around with shady folks in my youth.
I lock my vehicles whenever I am not in them. I even lock my vehicle while I am pumping gas.

Quote:
I keep my cars relatively empty of anything. If you looked in the windows you'd see a fairly empty car. Nothing in the glovebox or center console.
Same. If someone broke into one of my vehicles they will find a snowbrush and pretty much nothing else beyond the registration and insurance paperwork.

Old 05-21-2024, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I lock my vehicles whenever I am not in them. I even lock my vehicle while I am pumping gas.

Same. If someone broke into one of my vehicles they will find a snowbrush and pretty much nothing else beyond the registration and insurance paperwork.
Yes, me too b/c what they're doing now is while you're pre occupied at the pump the thief will hop in your driver side door and possibly try to take off in your car (if you left key in ignition while pumping.)

Old 05-24-2024, 03:24 PM

17,317 posts, read 8,900,359 times
yikes

https://www.wcvb.com/article/car-fir...unnel/60900082
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts