Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 11:12 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times

Advertisements

I agree with Kabluey on most points. I think Mayor Herenton has done an admirable job in bad circumstances. White flight started in Memphis decades before he became Mayor. Upon his election, that flight became even more intense and complex. Mayor Herenton has done a lot with what little was given to him.

In the end, the biggest problem has been a lack of funds; those much-needed funds have moved to the suburbs and surrounding counties. Yet, the demand for services within the City has remained constant--or, worse, has increased. Mayor Herenton has sought innovative ways to solve some of the City's problems. Some of those solutions have worked; others haven't. But I agree with Kabluey that the Mayor deserves credit for trying.

Edited to Add -- Outside of Memphis, the Mayor has been recognized numerous times for being an innovator, a national leader.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:24 AM

100 posts, read 486,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
I. White flight started in Memphis decades before he became Mayor. Upon his election, that flight became even more intense and complex. .
It's primarily middle-class flight.
A large amount of black Memphians are sick of the corruption and the subsequent high taxes and utility bills and are moving also. There is a large black presence in Olive Branch, Southaven, and Horn Lake MS, from black middle class Memphians escaping from "Willieville."
There is a significant black opposition to King Willie, and there was a strong black-led recall effort.
For many Memphians, it is impossible to admit to incompetence, and political corruption, if the the corrupt politician is black.

Last edited by tomterr; 06-29-2007 at 11:38 AM..

Old 06-29-2007, 11:33 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomterr View Post
It's primarily middle-class flight.
A large amount of black Memphians are sick of the corruption and the subsequent high taxes and utility bills and are moving also. There is a large black presence in Olive Branch, Southaven, and Horn Lake MS, from black middle class Memphians escaping from "Willieville."
There is a significant black opposition th King Willie, and there was a strong black-led recall effort.
For many Memphians, it is impossible to admit to incompetence, and political corruption, if the the corrupt politician is black.
thats a shame. i have no probs calling someone incompetent no matter what their race...

Old 06-29-2007, 11:34 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
And it's not as though "white flight" has occurred because Herenton is mayor. I don't think that has to do with anything. It gets annoying when people insinuate that white people are being racist when the don't like the mayor, move out of town, send their kids to private school, etc. It's not about color. Who cares about race? The schools are bad, the govt is corrupt, and whether people are black or white, whatever. It's still bad all the same. I don't give a dang if the mayor, governor, president, is white or black or asian or hispanic...just do a good job and don't make a embarassment of yourself and us as citizens.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:42 AM

9 posts, read 27,528 times
I would not move to Memphis,a nice town to visit during blues festivals,but even then be careful.I live in N.Mississippi,my sister(a nurse) use to live there in Mud Island area about 15 years ago.She had a hand gun put to her head while pumping gas in her car.She was robbed of her purse,a diamond ring that meant more to her than"just a diamond",her car keys,and scared to death! The store only called the police,did not help! There is a lot of crime! If you must move,I would try out Southhaven,MS. it is close enough to work in Memphis.Best wishes,but please think this one out! WATERMELON ROAD

Old 06-29-2007, 11:43 AM

White flight is a reality. I'm not saying people are racist or shouldn't move to wherever they want to move. However, white flight is real, and it is not confined to Memphis. Every large city in the US has experienced it to some degree or another. In Memphis, it has had a particularly exaggerated effect because the people who have moved away from the city represented a disproportionate part of the local property tax base. The taxes generated in Midtown and East Memphis have been unable to sustain the level of services needed by a city this size.

Middle-class African-Americans have also fled the city; however, because they were relatively few in number to begin with, their migration to the suburbs has not had nearly the effect of the 50 years of white flight the city has experienced.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:46 AM

Watermelon Road - mud island was barely around 15 years ago. In fact...was anything even built down there 15 years ago? I'm thinking not.

--- Edited: I found online that Harbortown was established in 1989. What was there then, and what is there now, is NOTHING alike. Harbortown is completely safe, a very upscale yuppie area of town. Family oriented, shopping, food, gym, medical facility. I imagine in the early 90's when it was first being built, it probably was a bit unsafe because there were few people there. Now, there are thousands of houses and apartments. Not to downplay your sister's incident, but that could happen anywhere in any city. Yes, there is a significant amount of crime in memphis, but one incident 15 years ago cannot be representative of Memphis today.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:46 AM

I dont' think anyone is arguing that white flight is not a real thing in Memphis or anywhere else.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:52 AM

9 posts, read 27,528 times
Yes,my sister had an apartment in the Mud Island area,but Memphis is not a good place to move a school age kids.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:52 AM

Your exact quote, Pearlbob, was "I don't think that has to do with anything." Perhaps I misinterpreted what you meant.

Then you wrote: "It's not about color. Who cares about race?"

I respectfully disagree. Some thoughtful research into this city and how it evolved into what it is today would probably change your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis