Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2007, 06:08 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times

Advertisements

I believe that she knew her attacker though, because there was no signs of forced entry into the building or her apartment. And I've been in that building a ton, it's like Fort Knox.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:50 AM

774 posts, read 2,582,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
I believe that she knew her attacker though, because there was no signs of forced entry into the building or her apartment. And I've been in that building a ton, it's like Fort Knox.
She didn't know her attacker. The man was knocking on doors in the building adn she, unfortunately, opened the door to her murderer.

Memphis DJ Murdered In Random Act Of Violence

This gives a run-down of the events of the arrest.

24-year old Woman found Murdered [Archive] - @forums

Old 09-01-2007, 12:25 PM

261 posts, read 621,676 times
Memphis is fine and the city is evolving. Here's the point: IF you are a close-minded bigot that does not want to be around any black people ever, then Memphis is NOT for you. If you are an open-minded person who can get along with other races, then you'll be fine. Oh wait, that's just like anywhere in the US!

White professionals are moving back into the downtown area:Try the Bluffs area. It's close to everything and you 'll be fine. The people in Memphis are some of the nicest folks that you'll ever meet, seriously.

But like any city, you'll have good and bad people. If you don't enjpy change, stay in your small town. Nothing wrong with that.

Good luck and God Bless You

Old 09-01-2007, 10:20 PM

5 posts, read 16,327 times
You people are ridiculous! This city has its faults, yes, but if its so terrible, then why is it the most populated city in the state? there must be something positive to it. The best neighborhoods are mainly in East Memphis, Central Gardens, many parts of Midtown, and if you're looking for Shelby County Schools then Germantown. I'm a teenager and I drive all over the city working/volunteering/etc. I lock the doors and always remain aware of my surroundings, but I've never been attacked or anything... and I'm a very vulnerable target. This city gets a bad reputation mainly because our mayor is a complete moron and has significantly altered the city's standing as a great place to live and raise a family. We're currently trying to remove him from office. Until that happens, this is still a great place to live, so long as you choose the right neighborhoods. Find a trustworthy realtor... if you need some help I can refer you to one.... and stick with him/her. Most can give you the complete low down on this city's properties, neighborhoods, etc. Don't be swayed by a few people's detrimental and ludicrous remarks about our city.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:00 AM

7 posts, read 16,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumeria313 View Post
Ahhhh! I just thought of one GREAT thing about Memphis! THE WATER!!!!! No one will ever find water anywhere else that is better than Memphis water! I would be big bucks on it!
the water is good and the central location means that it's easy enough to drive someplace nice for the weekend. Unfortunately, one usually has to drive back when the weekend is over. WTF is that stench that often envelops downtown and makes me want to puke? It can't be just the refinery.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 9,009 times
Default An interesting, historic and diverse city - try it.

I live in Central Gardens, too, and thought the city certainly has its issues, you just need to make good choices about what it is sensible to do. My children go to a great school (montessori, local, private but not impossible to afford) and we are blown away by how many great opportunities there are for them here. Symphony, Ballet, multiple excellent musuems, terrific zoo with full educational programs on the doorstep, great art galleries, funky downtown music and a great, liberal and committed community to environmental issues. Nowhere is perfect, but plenty of gated communities have the illusion of safety. In my experience, drugs and the crime that accompanies them reside in all parts of life, from the top down but Memphis is a city that has the opportunity to be something other than the usual cookie-cutter, strip-mall version of America. And people (of all walks of life, persuasions, races) are generally some of the nicest I've met.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wut2do View Post
I am trying to find a reason for my husband to be able to take a job in Memphis, but everything I have read has been so negative. We live in East Tn. right now and have lived here all our lives. The comments I have found are not encouraging at all. They say the schools are awful and the racial tensions are high... things about annexation and being incorporated...so many things I can't mention them all. I am from a small town and I like small town living...and elbow room and nice people. I also have a son who is in high school and makes straight A's. I don't want to jeapordize anything for him. What are the best towns around Memphis that I might find these things?
now now dont be harsh. you can watch the duck parade at the peabody.
just dont get mugged going back to the car.
stephen s
san deigo ca

Old 10-11-2007, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 10,630 times
I don't get it... my family and I just moved here from Detroit.. you want to talk about unsafe cities. Memphis is fine. We love it here. The downtown area is filled with safe family friendly stuff to do and we are looking to buy a house in Collierville. The best of both worlds as far as I am concerned. I don't understand what everyone's beef is with Memphis. Maybe it's just where I come from?

Old 10-11-2007, 12:38 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times
I think the 'beef' for the most part revolves around two issues: crime and schools.

Apparently, you're bothered enough by those issues or others that you're opting to live in a suburb.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:53 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
Maybe they just want a big yard and want to live in a brand new consruction home, thus Collierville and not in town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis