Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2007, 11:58 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times

Advertisements

My views are not about race or color. I don't care. Thus the "who cares." And it shouldn't matter. what happened long ago is not the same as it is now.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:10 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
That's the way my hometown (Cookeville) is run. The mayor is merely the city councilor who received the most votes in the election, but the daily management of city affairs is run by a professional city manager. I can't see that ever happening in Memphis, where political corruption has been the norm since the Crump family.

I was in a dry cleaners on Union Ave in Midtown once, and King Willie came in. This was during his 2nd term. Holy cow, not only is he an imposing figure (I swear he's 7 feet tall) but he had this entourage of a dozen or so men surrounding him. Probably like the way Elvis used to travel. Or Michael Jackson. I remember wondering, "why does he need so many armed guards protecting him?"

It's too bad AC Wharton can't also be mayor of the city of Memphis.

Tell the burbs to consider consolidation. At least with libraries and emergency services.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:29 PM

100 posts, read 486,546 times
Memphis' problems are not caused by the suburbs, the blame goes to corrupt politicians, many of which are black, and a culture of entitlement and irresponsibility.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:31 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
do y'all feel like memphis is headed in the right direction then?

I hope you realize a yes or no answer involves inherent contradictions, but if I had to go 51% one way or the other, I'd go 51% yes. And I will not distinguish between the city and the region b/c they are so intertwined you can't say that Memphis is not going in the right direction if the environment in the region is improving.

We are well-positioned economically, but there are still forks in the road that will determine our destiny (just like everything else). Check out what we have achieved just recently. I forgot to add the political achievements (not limited to Herenton, but major political figures throughout the region) that got us both I-69 as well as I-269, and the pending I-22 and I-155or 555 in Ark.

Even more important is that I see the city joining the region in realizing the need for change in the city's leadership. I think for a while I opposed the burb's perception of WW, and I still question the motives behind their opposition, and I question some of their perspectives, but I think Herenton should be replaced, as long as he's replaced with someone who has dynamic vision that will continue the progress made on the economic and attraction fronts, and improve education and crime.

So imo, whether the city's moving in the right or wrong direction may not have relevance regarding my support for the mayor. For the most part, it's moving in the right direction. But we need new blood to sustain it and crank it up a couple notches. A lot of positive and negative things that occur within the city are beyond his control. He did not single-handedly achieve any of the great accomplishments I have mentioned, and he did not singlehandedly pursue any of the lofty goals that we missed upon (four more regional examples -- 1) pursuit of Boeing's 7E7 by Millington and Blytheville -- we really need to get something done for their abandoned AFB; 2) Ark's pursuit of Thyssenkrupp recently for a steel plant, I think, again, by Blytheville; 3) Riverbend, and ; 4) Myriad).

I think the city's moving against Herenton's re-election. I think they will elect someone who will preserve the enthusiasm for a visionary future but will improve areas we're deficient on. But, the day after the election, depending on the results, my opinion could change. I still need to educate myself on their positions. Chumney right now concerns me that she will promote a meek attitude and presentation of Memphis to the world. And that would be crippling to its psychology. I would love to be wrong and I would feel a lot more security if every candidate had a major, world-class vision for the city that didn't isolate any aspect of a city or the services it provides.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:41 PM

Memphis overall is very against "outsiders" coming in and "taking over" their jobs. It seems like that is why elected officials seem to be people who grew up here, were educated here, and have always lived here. And we continue to see the same problems over and over. There is something to be said about bringing in fresh blood, new ideas, new insights...but people here seem to take that as a bad thing.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:50 PM

201 posts, read 1,070,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Memphis overall is very against "outsiders" coming in and "taking over" their jobs
I really think it is just Herenton who is against the outsiders.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:41 PM

16 posts, read 19,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wut2do View Post
I am trying to find a reason for my husband to be able to take a job in Memphis, but everything I have read has been so negative. We live in East Tn. right now and have lived here all our lives. The comments I have found are not encouraging at all. They say the schools are awful and the racial tensions are high... things about annexation and being incorporated...so many things I can't mention them all. I am from a small town and I like small town living...and elbow room and nice people. I also have a son who is in high school and makes straight A's. I don't want to jeapordize anything for him. What are the best towns around Memphis that I might find these things?

I'm not going to share my opinions of Memphis, or Willie, or anything else in the city because all it is is negative and I know no one wants to hear that. However, back to the original poster:

You said you would like a good reason to move to Memphis and you wanted a place to spread out with nice people. Well no one has mentioned Oakland yet. I think it's a wonderful place. While I hate Memphis for my own personal reasons, I love Oakland. It's a small town with a Kroger and a Walmart is being built, and I just heard a Skateland is being built so thats nice for kids. Many new subdivisions are being built but there are still enough properties to choose from that are large. We live on 41 acres and we love it. It's 20 mins from Wolfchase Mall in Bartlett, 45 mins from the Airport, and an hour from downtown, but we don't travel downtown except maybe once a year. It is a debt free town, and you will see why if you visit, the whole strip of highway running through it is a major speed trap, but if you go the speedlimit you are fine. I haven't heard of any corrupt politics. The public school system is terrible and I would not recommend it, but there is a private school, Fayette Academy and then there are private schools in Shelby County as well. You don't have to worry about being sucked in by Memphis because it is in Fayette County, not Shelby County. Crime is very low. I feel comfortable leaving my doors unlocked. There are many churches to choose from if you are religious. As far as racial tension, all of the people that we live around are black, but we have felt no racial tension at all. All of our neighbors are absolutely wonderful. There are the white people that live around that are still in the 1060's mentality but I have never experienced it, just heard about it. I heard a rumor that the KKK was still active, but I would just take that as a rumor. As long as you don't treat people badly, they won't treat you badly. Property taxes are low. Check it out if you get a chance.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:48 PM

16 posts, read 19,779 times
Ahhhh! I just thought of one GREAT thing about Memphis! THE WATER!!!!! No one will ever find water anywhere else that is better than Memphis water! I would be big bucks on it!

Old 07-02-2007, 02:02 PM

232 posts, read 796,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumeria313 View Post
There are the white people that live around that are still in the 1060's mentality but I have never experienced it, just heard about it.

Wow! Real, live Vikings??!! Or, are they more like 11th Century crusaders?

Old 07-02-2007, 02:06 PM

defi - you were not aware of the Vikings that live on the lake in Lakeland? (there are also pirates on the Miss river, but they only come out in cooler weather) Haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis