Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 11:24 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Day 3 of being on Cymbalta again. Today I am just zoned out more than I was expecting. Mentally, I don't feel bad. Not really. I just don't feel 100% here. The first day I took it, I became slightly nauseous and still felt that way on Day 2. But I also felt really good both days. I don't know if the nausea or the zoned out feeling is related to the meds o not. It seems awful early for side effects. The good feeling at first may have been a placebo effect.

Tuesday was actually a pretty good day as my nurse said my wounf on my foot is 99% gone. I've had an open would or sutures in that foot since November, 2015, so this was most excellent.

Good news.

Many side effects apparent in the first week or so go away over a period of weeks...unless the nausea is severe, see if you can hang on, see if the Cymbalta is going to work for you. The zoned out feeling I remember well when starting ADs but mine went away with time. I'm sure people get tired of me saying this but...

It can take several months, 8 weeks or so, to feel utmost beneficial effects from ADs. It's hard to be patient at times but that's the way they work...Cymbalta also treats pain symptoms.

Of course if you get really nauseated, etc. call the MD, might need a different med.

Glad your wound is healed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 12:10 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
I don't remember any side effects from the previous time I was on Cymbalta, but there may have been some that I didn't deem serious. I remember the Cymbalta actually working pretty decently the first time. A few side effects that aren't very serious are much better than the way I had been feeling recently. I can deal.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I don't remember any side effects from the previous time I was on Cymbalta, but there may have been some that I didn't deem serious. I remember the Cymbalta actually working pretty decently the first time. A few side effects that aren't very serious are much better than the way I had been feeling recently. I can deal.
I had significant zombie-like side effects with several ADs I tried until finding Lexapro...but even with that, I felt slow and drugged for a few weeks. ..it went away.

Have you read up on side effects of Cymbalta? ...the pharmacy gives you a printout all about the drug.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Have you read up on side effects of Cymbalta? ...the pharmacy gives you a printout all about the drug.
I didn't read up on it this time or even do a web search, but I will. I'm just glad that I'm not at the low point I was even last week, even if it's a placebo effect so far. Which I don't know that it is.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:56 PM

I have absolutely no appetite now. I've had two crackers with peanut butter today and nothing that I can recall yesterday. No appetite is a side effect of Cymbalta. I finally did some research today.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:18 AM

236 posts, read 259,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Interesting...I would rather poke my eye out than date right now.
So would I, unless it was someone I already knew as a friend or at least an acquaintance. It's usually just so awkward unless I already have some sort of a connection with them.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Sorry about this....we here understand your predicament. Do you have a psych MD? You need to discuss your lack of treatment progression...a visit with a psychiatrist could help firm up your diagnosis and provide treatment options for you. It might be time for newer meds or a combination of meds. Therapy and medications are what help most of us improve....

Sleep issues certainly be part of depression...finding appropriate meds would likely help with this.

Some days my cats are the only reason I want to get out of bed. I understand how you feel...keep us updated.
Yeah, it does help to have a dog or cat to take care of and who gives unconditional love. I'm starting to wonder if I have treatment resistant depression, since I've tried several of the SSRIs and they either didn't help or I couldn't tolerate the side effects. It's probably time to see a psychiatrist even though I dislike therapy and see if any other meds might help, or even possibly consider TMS at some point down the line. At least the CBD I just got a few days ago seems to be taking the edge off of my anxiety.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Yeah, sertraline is an interesting drug. It also reduced my anxiety - social anxiety, out the window - GONE. But not the depression. It also made me foggy to the point where I struggled with calculations, etc.
For what it is worth, you do have some wonderful things in your life like your job, your doggy and supportive parents.
It's a challenge to find a med that will help and not have bad side effects. Sertraline helps my anxiety a little but not enough, and I did some dangerous things while I was asleep after taking 50mg only twice so had to go back down to 37.5mg. I do have a pretty good job that I would really like to keep, partly because I have good mental health benefits that I haven't even used yet, so even though I'm exhausted every day I force myself to get up and do my best.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nja2016 View Post
Yeah, it does help to have a dog or cat to take care of and who gives unconditional love. I'm starting to wonder if I have treatment resistant depression, since I've tried several of the SSRIs and they either didn't help or I couldn't tolerate the side effects. It's probably time to see a psychiatrist even though I dislike therapy and see if any other meds might help, or even possibly consider TMS at some point down the line. At least the CBD I just got a few days ago seems to be taking the edge off of my anxiety.

Many psychiatrists these days do just medication management for patients. You'd see one for an evaluation and for diagnosis. Then the MD would recommend meds based on your situation. Therapy does help most of us, along with antidepressants.

I tried quite a few ADs before finding the right combo, which includes some meds that are used off label, or for reasons different that what they were intended. It takes patience but it's worth it to feel so much better.

Good luck.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:27 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Isn't is odd how some of us can put on a face like we are okay when we are really thinking of the best time and best method to just end it once and for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health