Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2019, 01:05 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Hello all - been doing better as far as the depression with the Lexapro but my anxiety is much worse since my psychiatrist has been weaning me off the Lorazepam (Ativan). She gave me Valium which stays in your system longer and has reduced it from 10 mg. to 5 mg. I'm waking up at 4 a.m. and having so much anxiety it is horrible. Not a full blown panic attack but a bad anxiety attack. I have a feeling she is trying to detox me from the benzos too quickly considering I have been on them for almost 17 years. I have a call in to her office to try and get an appointment sooner than my next scheduled one. I don't know what's worse - depression or severe anxiety.

Oh sorry, cl....Valium does have a long half-life, but if you're decreasing too fast, I'd expect you to have anxiety. If you can't get an appt just call and leave a detailed message. Taking any sleep aids? Or trying to stay away???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 06:03 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh sorry, cl....Valium does have a long half-life, but if you're decreasing too fast, I'd expect you to have anxiety. If you can't get an appt just call and leave a detailed message. Taking any sleep aids? Or trying to stay away???
I have to be careful with sleep aids as some of them make my depression worse and Ambien makes me positively suicidal. I tried melatonin with no results, then my friend suggested the long acting melatonin; still no help. I need more than 4-5 hours of sleep a night.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I have to be careful with sleep aids as some of them make my depression worse and Ambien makes me positively suicidal. I tried melatonin with no results, then my friend suggested the long acting melatonin; still no help. I need more than 4-5 hours of sleep a night.

Ask the MD about trying Valerian root capsules....OTC....worked for me.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:11 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
Quote:
Ask the MD about trying Valerian root capsules....OTC....worked for me.
I'm willing to try just about anything to wake up refreshed and without an anxiety attack.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:13 PM

236 posts, read 259,463 times
I must be at least partially resistant to treatment. After slowly increasing the sertraline, I had some disturbing almost hypomanic symptoms and also frequent panic attacks (which are usually rare for me), which disappeared when I lowered the dosage again. The lower dosage is kind of helpful for some issues but I'm still not sleeping well (haven't for years -- not b/c of the med). Might have to ask about microdosing CBD along with the lower SSRI dose.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nja2016 View Post
I must be at least partially resistant to treatment. After slowly increasing the sertraline, I had some disturbing almost hypomanic symptoms and also frequent panic attacks (which are usually rare for me), which disappeared when I lowered the dosage again. The lower dosage is kind of helpful for some issues but I'm still not sleeping well (haven't for years -- not b/c of the med). Might have to ask about microdosing CBD along with the lower SSRI dose.

I thought I was partially resistant too....but then was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, and found depression is secondary to that.

Contact your treating MD and discuss your issues. It takes at times a long period to find the appropriate meds for depression. Often necessary to try several different ones...

Once I had the proper diagnoses and was placed on the correct meds, everything cleared up for me. Depression symptoms, mood swings, etc. all dissipated....it's been several years since I felt
the miserable symptoms. The goal was reached at age 60. It took a psychiatrist to prescribe correct meds and a psychologist for a true diagnosis. Better late than never.

Keep at it....no amount of effort is wasted if you come out on top like I have...

Good luck, let us know how you are doing....folks on this thread understand.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:35 AM

How's everyone else?

Check in!!

Old 02-11-2019, 10:40 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,586,529 times
Quote:
For those who have never experienced depression, you could never understand the feeling that it's impossible to get out of bed due to lack of energy.

This thread is for those who do understand from experience.

Major depressive disorder is my diagnosis. I talk about mental health frequently for myself and to continue to combat lasting stigmas.

Most days, with the combo of psych drugs I take, I can live a "normal" life. On the other days, the lack of energy is in itself depressing....I put off household chores, paperwork etc. due to that feeling of inertia.

Taking a shower, cooking, doing laundry helps the energy level but at times it's hard to even do those activities. Some days I just give in and do crosswords for hours. At least I must take care of 3 cats...

How do you get yourself motivated when the feeling of low energy appears...? It's like a syringe is inserted and then all energy sucked out of you...
I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. If you are taking meds & have had a diagnosis, you must be under a physician's care. I'd really urge you to talk with your doctor about your continued symptoms. It does not sound like your meds are working at all. Most people can find relief with medication & other therapy, but it is often a long process of trial & error to find the right med or right combination of meds. I know it can be so discouraging...but there are many medications & many combinations, it's important to find what works for you. Many people benefit from therapy too.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. If you are taking meds & have had a diagnosis, you must be under a physician's care. I'd really urge you to talk with your doctor about your continued symptoms. It does not sound like your meds are working at all. Most people can find relief with medication & other therapy, but it is often a long process of trial & error to find the right med or right combination of meds. I know it can be so discouraging...but there are many medications & many combinations, it's important to find what works for you. Many people benefit from therapy too.

you did not read the thread...!

it was from awhile back and was started for ALL depression patients.

...I am on numerous psych meds and am doing excellent with no depressive symptoms. I still must deal with Borderline Personality Disordér but that's a different issue.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:55 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,586,529 times
Quote:
you did not read the thread...!

it was from awhile back and was started for ALL depression patients.

...I am on numerous psych meds and am doing excellent with no depressive symptoms. I still must deal with Borderline Personality Disordér but that's a different issue.
Awesome...it's good you are doing better. It's still important to continuously be aware of possible side effects or changes in how you feel...this is really true if you have a multiple diagnosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health