Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2018, 01:28 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times

Advertisements

Lubby how is mom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 02:31 AM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times
One of the reasons why stick with my current job is seniority... I have a lot of vacation/sick days, option to work from home, and my boss doesn't much care when I show up.

When it becomes difficult, I take days off.... however every year goes by it seems that I need more and more time. Increasingly difficult during the Holidays. Just recently, the person I've been leaning on was diagnosed with cancer (actually her second time) and I feel that she is dealing with the diagnosis better than I.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:45 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
One of the reasons why stick with my current job is seniority... I have a lot of vacation/sick days, option to work from home, and my boss doesn't much care when I show up.

When it becomes difficult, I take days off.... however every year goes by it seems that I need more and more time. Increasingly difficult during the Holidays. Just recently, the person I've been leaning on was diagnosed with cancer (actually her second time) and I feel that she is dealing with the diagnosis better than I.

Have you had or are you in therapy? What about meds??
Been diagnosed with depression?

Old 12-07-2018, 01:20 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Have you had or are you in therapy? What about meds??
Been diagnosed with depression?
Diagnosed.. yes. Therapy.. yes. But a very long time ago. During that time, I had meds prescribed and didn't like them so I stopped. I've been managing for a very long time but within the last 5 years or so it has been difficult.. Home and work life have been a factor which I will not go into details here. I will admit it is getting worse.

Yes.. I know... its not healthy. I really do need to get to a therapist soon.... but just like getting out of bed.. i can't seem to get started.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:10 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Diagnosed.. yes. Therapy.. yes. But a very long time ago. During that time, I had meds prescribed and didn't like them so I stopped. I've been managing for a very long time but within the last 5 years or so it has been difficult.. Home and work life have been a factor which I will not go into details here. I will admit it is getting worse.
This is very typical and I did it myself. I got very low and went back on meds. It was much needed. I don't know if anyone likes to be on meds, but sometimes it's a god send.

I've had a few good days strung together this week and for that I am very glad. I got some good news on Thursday that I was very worried about. I also saw my family doctor and got a new kind of insulin. My blood sugar had been averaging 275 for a month. Very bad. But now it's been 120 for the last three days. He also upped my dosage of Cymbalta and put me back on Gabbapentin for help with nerve pain in my foot and stump.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:08 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,624,110 times
Get out of bed w/ depression yet become anxious soon after. It cascades daily til depress returns near bed. It is seasonal affective type depression w/ some situational, then GAD anxiety & OCD mix, then returns to scrambled depression as nite falls. A mess it is, & has gotten worse over last few yrs. Trying herbs & TCM (Chinese medicine) & will relay findings.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:29 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,600,737 times
Hope this is not off topic, but i feel your pain, OP. I have a lot of crap in my life and physical pain, so that a lot of times i just want to come home from work, not do anything but stay home and be by myself. i dont have the energy to do anything, nor the ability to walk, since i have a lot of intense knee pain.

when you are in pain - whether physical or mental you really dont have a lot of energy, the pain saps it all. then also if you feel like crap, you have no energy.

one day it might just come back though. if you wanted to have more energy, you could try forcing yourself to do some movement in the house, then once you start moving around that sparks more energy. you could try it for a half hour and see if moving around will help spark your energy. i dont mean you have to go out dancing, but maybe to do some housework or something that might be getting neglected while your energy level is so low.

i have good days and bad days. totally unpredictable. right now i seem to have a bit more energy today. believe me, this is real. if we could do better, we would. but we cant.. its like having an invisible broken leg that doesn't permit us to move.

and by the way, im not on the pity pot, just saying i understand that.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:20 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
Here's hoping all the folks on this thread have a good and safe holiday season however you may be celebrating if you are celebrating at all. I will not be celebrating on Christmas Eve or Day and plan to watch movies and maybe edit some photos and look forward to the first week of January when the holiday season is over. Take care of yourself. You should be the most important person in your life. Don't be afraid to say no when you need to and don't take sh*t from anyone!

Old 12-25-2018, 08:57 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Here's hoping all the folks on this thread have a good and safe holiday season however you may be celebrating if you are celebrating at all. I will not be celebrating on Christmas Eve or Day and plan to watch movies and maybe edit some photos and look forward to the first week of January when the holiday season is over. Take care of yourself. You should be the most important person in your life. Don't be afraid to say no when you need to and don't take sh*t from anyone!
Merry Christmas to you and everyone in this thread!

Old 12-25-2018, 09:20 AM

35,090 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
For those who have never experienced depression, you could never understand the feeling that it's impossible to get out of bed due to lack of energy.

This thread is for those who do understand from experience.

Major depressive disorder is my diagnosis. I talk about mental health frequently for myself and to continue to combat lasting stigmas.

Most days, with the combo of psych drugs I take, I can live a "normal" life. On the other days, the lack of energy is in itself depressing....I put off household chores, paperwork etc. due to that feeling of inertia.

Taking a shower, cooking, doing laundry helps the energy level but at times it's hard to even do those activities. Some days I just give in and do crosswords for hours. At least I must take care of 3 cats...

How do you get yourself motivated when the feeling of low energy appears...? It's like a syringe is inserted and then all energy sucked out of you...
You are not alone. My wife and to an extent my two adult sons are that way. I was sometimes during a period of unemployment. Perhaps it is situational rather than pathological.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health