Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 08:16 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,586,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh, I know, certainly no offense taken..
later I read it and my words sounded snippy, so sorry.
It's Ok Blue...ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 09:09 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
I saw this thread was revived. I realized that what gets me out of bed on my (very few) worst days is the fact that I have dogs and a cat that rely on me for everything. And also, I am terrified that if I DON'T get up and do something, I will feel way worse, and then things will snowball. That said, it only means that I get up and do things and make myself busy, but I put off the stuff that stresses me off (leading to more stress) and don't feel all that great at the end of the day. But probably better than I would feel if I'd stayed in bed.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:43 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times
My apologies if this has already been talked about but is everyone having their vitamin D levels checked? Vitamin D is not going to cure depression of course but it can make things worse if one is low or deficient. Since vitamin testing got cheaper and started being done more they have found that a good % of people are deficient. It causes fatigue and mental fog among other things.

Our bodies are designed to get it from the sun, which a lot of people do not get enough of. It's almost impossible to get it in our diets. The 'daily allowance' in a multi-vitamin is not enough to compensate for lack of sun.

And once deficient, nothing OTC will do any good. It's 50,000 units once or twice weekly, however a Dr decides to construct the length of time to correct the levels.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:02 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
My apologies if this has already been talked about but is everyone having their vitamin D levels checked? Vitamin D is not going to cure depression of course but it can make things worse if one is low or deficient. Since vitamin testing got cheaper and started being done more they have found that a good % of people are deficient. It causes fatigue and mental fog among other things.

Our bodies are designed to get it from the sun, which a lot of people do not get enough of. It's almost impossible to get it in our diets. The 'daily allowance' in a multi-vitamin is not enough to compensate for lack of sun.

And once deficient, nothing OTC will do any good. It's 50,000 units once or twice weekly, however a Dr decides to construct the length of time to correct the levels.
Yep. That's exactly what happened to me. I derailed completely because of it. With me it wasn't just fatigue or mental fog- it was a horrifying spike in my anxiety and depression such that I had to put myself back together mentally a couple times every day. I was in a constant state of panic and hopelessness. I literally knew I could not continue to live like that forever (though I was willing to tough it out for a while, possibly years), so I had my suicide meticulously planned out for when I couldn't bear to go on like that. None of my usual "tricks" to pull myself out of my funks were working.

Two weekly doses of 50K mg put me right. One day I woke up feeling GREAT. It was surreal.

I really think if you have a predisposition to anxiety or depression (or both), a vitamin D deficiency is much more serious than it is for someone else. Of course, my level was also at 11 when it should have been at 40, so that was bonkers.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:39 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I saw this thread was revived. I realized that what gets me out of bed on my (very few) worst days is the fact that I have dogs and a cat that rely on me for everything. And also, I am terrified that if I DON'T get up and do something, I will feel way worse, and then things will snowball. That said, it only means that I get up and do things and make myself busy, but I put off the stuff that stresses me off (leading to more stress) and don't feel all that great at the end of the day. But probably better than I would feel if I'd stayed in bed.

I had many months after divorce when my cats were what got me up and doing activities.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:42 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post

Jen....my last bloodwork my Vit D levels were really low....was placed on Rx Vit D and while I didn't know the connection, was surprised to find myself feeling better overall. I've been doing really well over the last few years but felt even better emotionally since beginning the Rx...

Old 02-18-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Yep. That's exactly what happened to me. I derailed completely because of it. With me it wasn't just fatigue or mental fog- it was a horrifying spike in my anxiety and depression such that I had to put myself back together mentally a couple times every day. I was in a constant state of panic and hopelessness. I literally knew I could not continue to live like that forever (though I was willing to tough it out for a while, possibly years), so I had my suicide meticulously planned out for when I couldn't bear to go on like that. None of my usual "tricks" to pull myself out of my funks were working.

Two weekly doses of 50K mg put me right. One day I woke up feeling GREAT. It was surreal.

I really think if you have a predisposition to anxiety or depression (or both), a vitamin D deficiency is much more serious than it is for someone else. Of course, my level was also at 11 when it should have been at 40, so that was bonkers.
OMG that is beyond horrible!

Wow mine was at 20 and the doc said no wonder you feel like ish. How long did you take the 50K units twice per week? I thought I was done after a month but she gave me another month w/o re-checking the levels.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Jen....my last bloodwork my Vit D levels were really low....was placed on Rx Vit D and while I didn't know the connection, was surprised to find myself feeling better overall. I've been doing really well over the last few years but felt even better emotionally since beginning the Rx...
Excellent!

Old 02-18-2019, 05:50 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,624,110 times
Got folk walking round my apt totally crazed or zombies or lunatics. Scream things out at night. Fights, brawls, drunks, etc. Hard to sleep some days. I smh at the riff raff I deal with daily. Soon will move out when lease end but til then its hell in a cell...like WWE wrestling..lol

Old 02-18-2019, 05:55 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,624,110 times
Quote:
My VD was 42 last yr thus bad!!! & i in AZ??!!

My HDL was 95! Up from 65 prior yr--yet booze (aka wines daily) made it go up. Cardio doc says its good! But i say..ahem, most drunks have hi levels, no? Hehee.

But serious, it was so high I worry of blocked arteries via plaque formation from booze. Any docs here know this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health