Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:54 PM

141 posts, read 204,242 times

Advertisements

Me and my spouse want to book a one week trip to Cancun, Mexico in fall... However we are afraid of the high crime, kidnapping, drugs and other things in Mexico. We constantly hear bad things.

Is Cancun fine? Should we book our trip, or avoid it? We do not speak Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 09:08 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Cancun and the Yucatan Peninsula in general are ok. Cancun gets so many tourists from Europe and North America, there's safety in numbers. If the area were plagued by crime, the resorts wouldn't exist, and Mexico would miss out on a major source of revenue and jobs.
Still, anytime you're traveling abroad, take basic precautions; carry your passport with you in a small pouch under your clothes (shoulder pouch, waist pouch or leg pouch) at all times. Keep spare cash (if any) in a locked suitcase, or use traveler's checks. Don't carry an expensive-looking purse or wear expensive jewelry. Be low-key.

Best time to go, imo, is October through February. In September it's still intensely hot, but by October it cools off to a pleasant temperature. Take equipment for snorkeling to enjoy the coral reefs. A day trip by taxi to the town of Xel-ha or Playa del Carmen (there's also a bus to Playa del Carmen) is a nice side-trip for a change of scenery, and better snorkeling.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:05 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,539,324 times
You should also take a trip out to Isla Holbox, Mujeres or Tulum, some ruins or something. There is a lot to see in that area, despite the boring, flat landscape inland along the roads.

Otherwise, it's totally fine in the Yucatan.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:35 PM

305 posts, read 750,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
carry your passport with you in a small pouch under your clothes (shoulder pouch, waist pouch or leg pouch) at all times.
I would disagree with always carrying your passport with you.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:29 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,482,084 times
I would choose Chichen Itza over Tulum myself - but actually I'd do both. That is to say, I will do both. Merida is also advisable. But yes - from all I hear and statistics show the Yucatan is safer than many even most US States. I'm - as long as Popocatepetl is congenial - am on my way to my second trip to DF. Taking the wife this time. We're doing Frida, food tours, and museos. RLooks like we'll need a big umbrella. I personally want to add jogging and biking in the mornings.

Missing the Mayan ruins on a Yucatan visit would IMO be like skipping Giza on a trip to Cairo because of trouble in Lebanon. The major drug problems are in the remote areas of the northern states and some of the west coast. It is almost exclusively limited to dope war participants in seedy locations. Even the Cartels have specifically announced they condemn crime against non-participants.

I took 1000 pix in DF and Monterrey. Have a look at what I saw. I think you'll feel reassured - perhaps even excited. //www.city-data.com/blogs/1113319-xs-be.html

Personally, I find the mystery of the ancient Meso-American civilizations far more stimulating than any margarita by the beach.

Last edited by xS☺B☺s; 07-07-2013 at 11:38 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 06:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
You will be safer in Cancun, than you are driving your car from your house to the airport. Per capita, there are probably more murders in your own home town than in Cancun, but you are not going to be murdered in either place, so, so what?

Old 07-09-2013, 07:13 AM

983 posts, read 1,635,489 times
Cancun is more than fine.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:15 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,319,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Cancun is more than fine.
But Cabo is better!

Agree not to walk around with passports. You should however keep your Visa form with you.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:07 PM

77 posts, read 283,136 times
My husband, best friend and myself went to Cancun in Sept 2010. Was wonderful. Never once felt scared or uneasy. Do the zip line tour. Best vacation I have ever had.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:33 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,040,710 times
I have been to Cancun a few times. The hotel zone and the touristy shopping area located nearby are probably the safest most urban looking areas I have ever been in Mexico. Do Not stray outside of this little bubble into Cancun proper (the city) as you will quickly find yourself in the real Mexico.

I like Mexico and would love to go back. Unfortunately the uptick in drug related crime has kept me away. I personally will not be going back. Cancun has nothing to offer that you cannot find better in other places in the Carribean or South Pacific. My vote would be to research those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico