Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 07:57 PM

911 posts, read 1,713,249 times

Advertisements

Sitting here in Hollywood overlooking the beach tonight after a first few hours in Soflo.

You guys did your best to describe this place but I wasn't prepared for what I saw this afternoon.

First, this place is HUGE. Traffic is a nightmare, people are friendly as they can be. Women here are smokin' hot. Gee...I really like this place.

Love the Grove especially downtown and the heavily wooded parts. Brickell goes without saying, yeah..it's way cool, trendy. I'm not sure how walkable though.

I have seen some seedy areas, but nothing all big cities don't have and this is a VERY big city. Actually, it's one big city from Hollywood to Coral Gables that I can tell.

Love downtown Miami the parts that are very walkable. Love it!

The sun came out for a bit today and while it was only 82*, I could tell it was an intense 82. Hotter than a Dallas 82 for some reason and don't think it was the humidity, the sun felt more intense.

We will fit here just fine, but yeah traffic sucks. Yes, they do drive crazy here but they are just trying to get down the road. 90mph on 95 at 5:00 pm if they can go that fast. More honking here than Dallas and some slow going on us1 both in and out of the city. We were driving for 3PM TO 7PM near downtown mostly. The roads are screwy and the exit ramps don't always make sense. Too many one way streets for my taste, but it is what it is.

I don't get what is so poor about this city, there is a lot of money in the areas I saw today but then I was usually east of 95 and closer to us1.

Yes, most of the people I have met today were not from the US. Not a bad thing at all, and they all seemed very friendly to me at least. I expected them to be rude, but it wasn't the case at ALL. Maybe not overly chatty but so what, they seemed friendly enough to me and I'm not a chatty Cathy myself. I had no problems at all with anyone as a matter of fact, more friendly that the people in Dallas.

First impressions are all better than expected from reading all the naysayers posts on here about Miami and we are both feeling pretty good about the end of day one.

We go look at properties in the morning then down to the Keys for a couple of days, then back to Miami for the last 2 days before we fly home and pack.

So far we really like it here and we like the pace. If anyone says Miami is laid back, they must be living under a rock. This has a very NYC feel to the pace here at least in the areas I was in today.

We like Miami so far, and we think it's worth the hassle of living here. Miami is cooler than what we thought and really nothing like I imagined. I don't think anyone can be prepared actually. I can see why people love Miami now and why the good outweighs the bad. This is a beautiful place.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:58 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
Give it a little time. The sheen wears off fast.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:07 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
Don't forget to visit Wilton Manors.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post

Old 10-20-2010, 08:11 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
Sorry - its a tough message - but i speak the truth.

But enjoy it while it lasts!

That better?

Seriously - Im sorry to be such a naysayer - enjoy - SFL is an amazingly beautiful place ( its just living there that's tough for most).

Old 10-20-2010, 08:20 PM

Yup, that's much better

Old 10-20-2010, 08:32 PM

437 posts, read 811,213 times
lol wait till you come to West Palm Beach .. It is like a laid back life here no lights on the streets after 8pm and shops close at 6pm

Old 10-20-2010, 08:34 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,419,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Spoke the truth .

No really, you get used to it. .

Old 10-20-2010, 08:54 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Don't forget to visit Wilton Manors.
I still haven't got a straight answer out of you on a previously posed question.

People in Miami are not rude, it all has to do with personal preference, I've found. Some people want everyone they bump into to have a conversation with them while others just want to be on their way and do what they need to do. I guess those chatty ones feel everyone else is rude.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I still haven't got a straight answer out of you on a previously posed question.

People in Miami are not rude, it all has to do with personal preference, I've found. Some people want everyone they bump into to have a conversation with them while others just want to be on their way and do what they need to do. I guess those chatty ones feel everyone else is rude.
You'll never get a straight anything out of me NYUK NYUK NYUK NYUK

About the rudeness, when I first came to the 305 I thought Cubans were angry, moody, and loud people. Years passing I learned how to distinguish anger from accents. In other words it's their accent or the way they talk that makes them look like an angry mob.

Here is an example:

Cuban: OE MEENNGGG, WHAT ARE YOU DOINNNNNG!!!! HAVE YOU heard the NEWS!!!!?? HAVE YOU???!!!!!!!!!!!! RAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRWWWWW!!

WhaT he really meant to say: Oh hi, what's up. Have you heard the news?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami