Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:59 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,065,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
I was "on guard" for the rudeness people speak of on this board but found people pleasant and somewhat personal. Actually, I found them as friendly as your typical NYC person on the street with more eye contact. I had zero problem finding helpful people. Some of he homeless and that desperate, predictor look in their eye like those in NYC subways, but then Dallas has it's homeless too.

There hasn't been anyone demanding I speak spanish, most of the people I met yesterday spoke broken english and their first language was not Spanish anyway.

I'm at ease somewhat with hurricanes now too. I expected this place to have no large trees and all new houses. If Miami has survived this long with most of the buildings intact then they should survive for as long as I am here.

I guess it's all relative to your experiences in life I guess but so far "I" think 305 is a much cooler place to live than 214. I'll know more after today.
You can't take some of the posters here very seriously.
I wish people didn't over exaggerate so much, so that the real points could get across

No, not everybody is gonna have a "in your face" attitude but you will encounter someone like that sooner or later. It's retail workers getting paid minimun wage who don't care about getting fired, cause they can easily get hired at another store down the block. You will eventually encounter hispanics who will be carrying a Spanish conversation and don't even bother to acknowledge you. Black and anglos who will give you the worst customer service ever cause they only like to service their own kind. For the most part, people will be polite but not as friendly as in Texas. And yes Most hispanics make an attempt to speak broken English to you, but it is not uncommon to carry Spanish even when non spanish speakers are present.

The people that live here are not the Mexicans that you are used to in Texas, many are middle class, some are low class but think they are as successful as the others and they do have some sense of entitlement and freedom that other hispanics in other parts of the nation cannot afford because of their legal status or social class. You will see, but don't worry to much about it cause most people will behave like normal human beings.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:21 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,307,757 times
Jmlacysr, I am a native-born Miamian who moved to Houston back in July. I posted my first feelings, as you have. I updated at one month nad three months. I will update again in 6 months. I would hope you would do the same. It is useful fo people to see how feelings change over that time. I now believe everyone over rates a new area they move to, as they are obviously optimistic about starting a new life, job, or whatever. Let us know how things are at 1, 3, and 6 months.
Good luck.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:28 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,421,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Jmlacysr, I am a native-born Miamian who moved to Houston back in July. I posted my first feelings, as you have. I updated at one month nad three months. I will update again in 6 months. I would hope you would do the same. It is useful fo people to see how feelings change over that time. I now believe everyone over rates a new area they move to, as they are obviously optimistic about starting a new life, job, or whatever. Let us know how things are at 1, 3, and 6 months.
Good luck.
I am looking at relocating to Houston later from Miami. Let us know

Old 10-21-2010, 08:29 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter441 View Post
lol wait till you come to West Palm Beach .. It is like a laid back life here no lights on the streets after 8pm and shops close at 6pm

Not true at ALL. Do you live in the same West Palm Beach I do? Cityplace shops have typical mall hours, to about 9:00 or 10:00 PM at night, with restaurants closing after that. Clematis street restaurants, bars and clubs are also open quite late. I've been at Bradleys before well after midnight.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:32 AM

437 posts, read 811,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Not true at ALL. Do you live in the same West Palm Beach I do? Cityplace shops have typical mall hours, to about 9:00 or 10:00 PM at night, with restaurants closing after that. Clematis street restaurants, bars and clubs are also open quite late. I've been at Bradleys before well after midnight.
well that is only in downtown ..

Old 10-21-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥;
"the real Miami" Chelito please, stop watching those rap videos who glorify the ghetto areas of the 305 so we can know how "tough" those losers are. The real Miami is everywhere from North Miami to Homestead. Or is the Middle class all a product of our imagination, cause what's not real is imagined. The most real areas are where you gonna have to live and work and for most people it doesn't include those areas where you are sending this poster
Yeah, I never understood why people consider ghettoes and run down areas are considered the "real" parts of any city, county or state? If appx 10% of the country lives below the poverty level, then really, the poor parts are not "typical" of any city, unless the whole city is impoverished.

In my opinion, the REAL parts of any city are where solid middle class people live.... not the destitute, nor the rich. The poor parts are the broken parts of a city and there's usually no reason to go to those parts.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter441 View Post
well that is only in downtown ..
What about Northwood? Or the South Dixie corridor? Havana on Forest Hill/Dixie offers 24 hour walk up Cuban food service and there seems to always be a line. Howleys diner is open 24 hours a day as well. Tons of other restaurants keep normal restaurant and store business hours as well.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:48 AM

437 posts, read 811,671 times
Quote:
What about Northwood? Or the South Dixie corridor? Havana on Forest Hill/Dixie offers 24 hour walk up Cuban food service and there seems to always be a line. Howleys diner is open 24 hours a day as well. Tons of other restaurants keep normal restaurant and store business hours as well.
lol @ Northwood worse place to be i rather jump in the river than go there

Old 10-21-2010, 09:58 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,870,900 times
Quote:
Yeah, I never understood why people consider ghettoes and run down areas are considered the "real" parts of any city, county or state? If appx 10% of the country lives below the poverty level, then really, the poor parts are not "typical" of any city, unless the whole city is impoverished.

In my opinion, the REAL parts of any city are where solid middle class people live.... not the destitute, nor the rich. The poor parts are the broken parts of a city and there's usually no reason to go to those parts.
neither do i, i dont understand why people glorify the hood ghettos or jail, it baffles my mind, glorifying a persons education is better for all of society a ghetto not so much

but if op really wants to see the hood, just stroll though little Havana in the day, no harm done, its one of the safest and most poorest neighborhoods in the USA, in terms of being poor and safe at the same time kinda like el paso

Old 10-21-2010, 11:23 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,373,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
neither do i, i dont understand why people glorify the hood ghettos or jail, it baffles my mind, glorifying a persons education is better for all of society a ghetto not so much

but if op really wants to see the hood, just stroll though little Havana in the day, no harm done, its one of the safest and most poorest neighborhoods in the USA, in terms of being poor and safe at the same time kinda like el paso
hood: because people think it makes them tough or cool

jail: see the hood explanation. Although i am not sure whats cool about a situation where unwarranted man on man rape.

education: rich geeks can't beat people up and use cool slang o.O

You can go through overtown during the day too. I have, no one is going to bother you. That is true for most "hoods". Unless their are gangs then that changes the dynamic. I should mention any visits to the hood as you suggested should be during the day time. Stickup kids come out at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami