Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:50 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Here is an example:

Cuban: OE MEENNGGG, WHAT ARE YOU DOINNNNNG!!!! HAVE YOU heard the NEWS!!!!?? HAVE YOU???!!!!!!!!!!!! RAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRWWWWW!!

WhaT he really meant to say: Oh hi, what's up. Have you heard the news?
its a good example except the rawrr part

Old 10-21-2010, 04:15 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,547 times
I was "on guard" for the rudeness people speak of on this board but found people pleasant and somewhat personal. Actually, I found them as friendly as your typical NYC person on the street with more eye contact. I had zero problem finding helpful people. Some of he homeless and that desperate, predictor look in their eye like those in NYC subways, but then Dallas has it's homeless too.

There hasn't been anyone demanding I speak spanish, most of the people I met yesterday spoke broken english and their first language was not Spanish anyway.

I'm at ease somewhat with hurricanes now too. I expected this place to have no large trees and all new houses. If Miami has survived this long with most of the buildings intact then they should survive for as long as I am here.

I guess it's all relative to your experiences in life I guess but so far "I" think 305 is a much cooler place to live than 214. I'll know more after today.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:27 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
I don't know much about 914 but 786 is also part of 305

Old 10-21-2010, 04:29 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
Sitting here in Hollywood overlooking the beach tonight after a first few hours in Soflo.

You guys did your best to describe this place but I wasn't prepared for what I saw this afternoon.

First, this place is HUGE. Traffic is a nightmare, people are friendly as they can be. Women here are smokin' hot. Gee...I really like this place.

Love the Grove especially downtown and the heavily wooded parts. Brickell goes without saying, yeah..it's way cool, trendy. I'm not sure how walkable though.

I have seen some seedy areas, but nothing all big cities don't have and this is a VERY big city. Actually, it's one big city from Hollywood to Coral Gables that I can tell.

Love downtown Miami the parts that are very walkable. Love it!

The sun came out for a bit today and while it was only 82*, I could tell it was an intense 82. Hotter than a Dallas 82 for some reason and don't think it was the humidity, the sun felt more intense.

We will fit here just fine, but yeah traffic sucks. Yes, they do drive crazy here but they are just trying to get down the road. 90mph on 95 at 5:00 pm if they can go that fast. More honking here than Dallas and some slow going on us1 both in and out of the city. We were driving for 3PM TO 7PM near downtown mostly. The roads are screwy and the exit ramps don't always make sense. Too many one way streets for my taste, but it is what it is.

I don't get what is so poor about this city, there is a lot of money in the areas I saw today but then I was usually east of 95 and closer to us1.

Yes, most of the people I have met today were not from the US. Not a bad thing at all, and they all seemed very friendly to me at least. I expected them to be rude, but it wasn't the case at ALL. Maybe not overly chatty but so what, they seemed friendly enough to me and I'm not a chatty Cathy myself. I had no problems at all with anyone as a matter of fact, more friendly that the people in Dallas.

First impressions are all better than expected from reading all the naysayers posts on here about Miami and we are both feeling pretty good about the end of day one.

We go look at properties in the morning then down to the Keys for a couple of days, then back to Miami for the last 2 days before we fly home and pack.

So far we really like it here and we like the pace. If anyone says Miami is laid back, they must be living under a rock. This has a very NYC feel to the pace here at least in the areas I was in today.

We like Miami so far, and we think it's worth the hassle of living here. Miami is cooler than what we thought and really nothing like I imagined. I don't think anyone can be prepared actually. I can see why people love Miami now and why the good outweighs the bad. This is a beautiful place.
Your post sounds like you moved here, never having been here before, especially since you are shocked by the traffic and size. Your post is a very typical newbie one, this is the honeymoon phase. Palm trees, new buldings, beautiful water, even more beautiful people and so on. Don't be so shocked by all the money, the coastal areas are the wealthy pockets. Instead of US 1 or 95 to downtown, take Miami Ave, NW 7th, 17th or 27th Ave if you want to see what the real Miami is like or to understand the "naysayers" who were "negative," it will be an eye opener. The problem is, many posters on here live in the areas you described, but there are many others who live in the lower middle class areas, so that affects one's perception, especially when people down play how bad things are, from inside their gated compound on Star Island lol.

I am glad you like what you see so far, but by the commen that you are surprised at how friendly people are, it makes me think you are getting the tourist treatment or just oblivious to rude behavior. Wait till you have to make doctor appointments, open bank accounts, go shopping, get gas, stock up before a hurricane threatens, then the real South Florida will be brutally evident.

I don't want to be negative, but keep your expectations real, or else you will be really down in a year about the place. This isn't the utopia it seems like, it is any other place with higher prices, lots of body worshiping and consumerism and people very taken away by themselves. You can do fine here, but people who thrive on close relationships with neighbors, friends, co-workers are the ones who have a harder time. You sound like you aren't into niceties or small talk so you will do well on that regard.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:34 AM

^^^^ Oh come on, there is nothing wrong with body worshiping hahahaha

Adding to your post, I really don't know who my neighbors are, and I've been living here for more than a decade. So it's true.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:34 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Forget about expecting anyone to do anything on time...

Old 10-21-2010, 04:40 AM

OMG, why don't you just give the guy a warm Wilkkomimg? He lives in Hollywood and has his son working on a good area. There is really no point for him to experience the real 305 (786)

Old 10-21-2010, 05:15 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Your post sounds like you moved here, never having been here before, especially since you are shocked by the traffic and size. Your post is a very typical newbie one, this is the honeymoon phase. Palm trees, new buldings, beautiful water, even more beautiful people and so on. Don't be so shocked by all the money, the coastal areas are the wealthy pockets. Instead of US 1 or 95 to downtown, take Miami Ave, NW 7th, 17th or 27th Ave if you want to see what the real Miami is like or to understand the "naysayers" who were "negative," it will be an eye opener. The problem is, many posters on here live in the areas you described, but there are many others who live in the lower middle class areas, so that affects one's perception, especially when people down play how bad things are, from inside their gated compound on Star Island lol.

I am glad you like what you see so far, but by the commen that you are surprised at how friendly people are, it makes me think you are getting the tourist treatment or just oblivious to rude behavior. Wait till you have to make doctor appointments, open bank accounts, go shopping, get gas, stock up before a hurricane threatens, then the real South Florida will be brutally evident.

I don't want to be negative, but keep your expectations real, or else you will be really down in a year about the place. This isn't the utopia it seems like, it is any other place with higher prices, lots of body worshiping and consumerism and people very taken away by themselves. You can do fine here, but people who thrive on close relationships with neighbors, friends, co-workers are the ones who have a harder time. You sound like you aren't into niceties or small talk so you will do well on that regard.
Preach it Chelito! Well said.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:39 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I still haven't got a straight answer out of you on a previously posed question.

People in Miami are not rude, it all has to do with personal preference, I've found. Some people want everyone they bump into to have a conversation with them while others just want to be on their way and do what they need to do. I guess those chatty ones feel everyone else is rude.
People are retards when driving (in Dade). But one on one I have found them to be pretty nice for the most part. I for one like Dade and think it has far more to offer than Broward any day of the week.

to OP

Brickell is walkable and it has a train system there (if you can call it that) so getting around that area is VERY easy. Its called the metro mover and it will even take you to/through downtown as well

Old 10-21-2010, 06:37 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post

How irresponsible on your part to send any resident, especiall a brand new one who is not familiar with the roads to an area that most people have never visited in the first place just to prove all your negative points

Why would a person have to visit Liberty City or Overtown? It's not on the way to anything, the area is totally unavoidable. There are no government offices there and businesses are either nonexisiting or they can be found in safer areas of town.

"the real Miami" Chelito please, stop watching those rap videos who glorify the ghetto areas of the 305 so we can know how "tough" those losers are. The real Miami is everywhere from North Miami to Homestead. Or is the Middle class all a product of our imagination, cause what's not real is imagined. The most real areas are where you gonna have to live and work and for most people it doesn't include those areas where you are sending this poster

If you want to prove your point there are better ways to do so but there is no need to send him there, cause chances are that if he is a photographer and his kid is going to some kind of manager, that they won't have to visit those areas, EVER, like many people that live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami