Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2010, 06:37 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Don't forget to visit Wilton Manors.
How do you like it there? I'm considering it as well.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:16 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
I agree and that is exactly what I have found. Spend $1500 per month and live, or spend $1000 per month and you could die. Houses are out of the middle class price range and you don't get much for your money in comparison to other places.

Many of the places we have looked at require 1st month, last month plus a full month security deposit plus a 100.00 app fee. Got a Pet? Add 250.00 non refundable, plus 25.00 per month and 250 deposit for Fido. You could be pushing close to 5k just to rent a place.

Move to Miami and live the good life for uber cheap is not anywhere close to the reality here. If you have the income, then Miami could be a wonderful place to live, but like you said, you need a higher income to seperate yourself from the less than desirable areas here.
you don't have to put first/last and security down in Dallas? I lived there back in like 2000 but that was a long time ago.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:40 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,479,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
you don't have to put first/last and security down in Dallas? I lived there back in like 2000 but that was a long time ago.
No, not really. Headline news in MIA is "beach". Headline news in DFW is "cheap real estate". Since you don't have the proportion of freakos that there is in MIA, they don't have to be so cautious. Also since Dallas is a bit overbuilt and a lot laid back. It's a really startlingly quiet place. For a city that's actually quite a bit bigger than MIA you would wonder where the freek is everybody???

You won't see too many of these signs in MIA right?

Old 10-25-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
No, not really. Headline news in MIA is "beach". Headline news in DFW is "cheap real estate". Since you don't have the proportion of freakos that there is in MIA, they don't have to be so cautious. Also since Dallas is a bit overbuilt and a lot laid back. It's a really startlingly quiet place. For a city that's actually quite a bit bigger than MIA you would wonder where the freek is everybody???
Where in Dallas is that? Yeah I remember how cheap Dallas was, it was a beautiful thing. I paid no lie something like 400 a month for a one bedroom in a gated community in Fort Worth, right across from the airport. Dallas is a great place, love the Galleria Mall, one of the prettiest I have been to. I just hated the geography of Dallas. Such a flat and ugly place (no disrespect to my Texans)

Old 10-25-2010, 09:07 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
_________

Are you a MICCOSSUKEE by any chance?
No, but I graduated as a Seminole

Quote:
Dallas is a great place, love the Galleria Mall, one of the prettiest I have been to. I just hated the geography of Dallas. Such a flat and ugly place (no disrespect to my Texans)
Are you thinking of the Galleria in Houston? It is a very pretty and large mall. Do they have one in Dallas too?
By the way, you might have noticed that South Florida is kinda flat too.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:24 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,201,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
a lot laid back. It's a really startlingly quiet place. For a city that's actually quite a bit bigger than MIA you would wonder where the freek is everybody???

][/i]
Miami
Area: 55.27 sq mi
Pop: 433,136 people
Density: 12,139.5/sq mi

Dallas:
Area: 385.0 sq mi
Pop: 1,299,543 people
Density: 3,697.44/sq mi

If Dallas were to have Miami’s area, its population would be:
385/1,299,543 = 55.27/ ?
Equals: 186,560 people

If Miami were to have Dallas’ area, our population would be:
55.27/433,136 = 385/ ?
Equals:
3,017,141 people

So don’t get all surprised when you don’t see people in Dallas. It’s normal not to see that many people where urban density is not present. Density and noise are "bustling city" issues, some love them and some hate them. Be thankful Dallas is not there yet as to hold the "bustling city" title.

PS: Miami is not there yet either

Last edited by WINTERFRONT; 10-25-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 10-25-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
No, but I graduated as a Seminole

Are you thinking of the Galleria in Houston? It is a very pretty and large mall. Do they have one in Dallas too?
By the way, you might have noticed that South Florida is kinda flat too.
No, the Galleria in dallas. Galleria Dallas

Yeah Florida is flat but there is just something about the topography in Dallas that I just cant stand. It felt like it had no character. It reminded me of everything west of 95 in South Florida (cookie cutter sprawl) with no areas of distinction or character (like the areas east of 95 in South Florida (minus Hollywood Florida).

Old 10-25-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Where in Dallas is that? Yeah I remember how cheap Dallas was, it was a beautiful thing. I paid no lie something like 400 a month for a one bedroom in a gated community in Fort Worth, right across from the airport. Dallas is a great place, love the Galleria Mall, one of the prettiest I have been to. I just hated the geography of Dallas. Such a flat and ugly place (no disrespect to my Texans)
It's near the "Deep Ellum" in downtown Dallas. It's so close to downtown that Lee Harvey could cap yer mama while she's shopping at Neiman Marcus.

The Galleria is sagging a bit these days - kinda dirty imo. And yeah for natural wonders, DFW is literally a rather dry plain place.

I gotcha beat though - in 1986 I paid $42 a week to live a 235 Washington in SoBe!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:58 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,138,702 times
Renting and having a pet here is very difficult. I wish you good luck on that. I think most pet owners here are also property owners...but I do see a lot of people with dogs in the Grove...and that is where there is a nice dog park...so if you ever end up considering living farther south, in Miami per se, that is a good area to look keeping pets in mind.

Rents and deposits here are very high as well and I was interested in your take on it, that it is due to the transient nature of people here. I suppose that makes sense. I always assumed it was because most people assume renters will trash the place and leave without paying rent.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
So don’t get all surprised when you don’t see people in Dallas. It’s normal not to see that many people where urban density is not present. Density and noise are "bustling city" issues, some love them and some hate them. Be thankful Dallas is not there yet as to hold the "bustling city" title.
The other things about Miami is that of that 55 sq miles, only 37 is land - the rest is water. So everybody is all packed into that 37 sq miles. Further on any given day, Miami probably has 25000 tourists in the hotels.

Dense cities has been the story of most of my life. I actually am a fan of dense cities. I just mentioned the difference for the benefit of Miamians who might be surprised to learn that they live in one of America's densest cities - especially east of US1. Of course on a worldwide scale, only NYC compares to the density overseas. And yeah, that has its advantages.

But I also like a good crowd .... cuz "I belong to the city..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami