Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 03:46 PM

911 posts, read 1,713,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
JM,

How long has it been that you moved here, 6 weeks or so? I am guessing based on some of your previous posts. Well, it seems from people that I know and experienced moves, right around the 6 week or 2 month mark is when they either start questioning their move, or are glad they did move.

Thanks Observer. It makes sense. I'm not sorry that I moved and yes about 6 weeks ago. I don't see myself ever returning to Dallas. I'm trying to find a little piece of Soflo that is within tolerable limits. I had expectations that I would have all the good of Dallas with all the good of Miami. I wanted to be able to say. "Miami is expensive but worth it."

I have said before I like the people of Miami fine. Most people are reasonable once they let down their guard. They appear unfriendly as a self defense. Once they know your an ok guy, they open up like a steamed clam. It's almost like the want friends badly but don't know who to trust.

Something, somewhere went wrong is my guess. Miami is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been in, with loads of culture, art and heritage and very good people. Who does love the weather here. Miami has a lot to offer but I think the city has allowed itself to slide in decline as it focused more on the tourist industry and not catering to the basic services and safety needs of its residents.

There's just incredible potential here, but the image of Miami often matches the reality of Miami. As beautiful as she is, she can be just as ugly and while you can look past that at first, once the reality sets in, I'm having a harder time finding the good outweighing the bad.

No city is perfect, but the location here is near perfect. Just seems a shame to let all this go to waste and if I find the right spot in soflo, "maybe" it will be just fine.

I'm not lowering my expectations, I have faith I can find what I want here and I don't give up easy if it's something I believe in and I still believe it's here. What I do in 10 months will be based on what I can find.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:48 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
I don't dislike Miami or any American city just because of their people, I don't give a damn about anyone (especially when you never see them, you only get to see cars). It's just that the parking lot/Walmart/Highways/no people around/ you need a car for everything culture doesn't fit with me.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGoesIt View Post
JM, I briefly followed the threads you started over the past couple of months. The one thing that really jumps out at me is the fact you have dogs. Unfortunately (and I love dogs) this limits where you can live to a certain extent. Your experience would be different if you lived in a highrise in downtown or brickell. You definitely would be surrounded by a different type of person.

Heck, even if you lived in an older place on south beach, you would of met some cool guys with better attitudes. It's never fun living in the 'hood.

No joke. You're right I have a dog, I mean an HIV positive 100 lb. rabid pitbull or you would think that. Landlords here don't like dogs over 25lbs and it really hurt our chances. Fact is, I have a certified therapy dog. This dog is better behaved than a 10 year old human. They weren't impressed, NO dogs.

Actually in Dallas we had 3 dogs. We had to make the very difficult decision to rehome 2 to come to Miami. Miami wasn't going to strip us of everything to get here so we paid the price and gave up two.

You're dead on about Brickell too. We fit there well. My son works at Flagler and 2nd. Brickell would so work, but no dogs.

Of course our experience would be different if we shopped at Publix in Brickell rather than this run down hell hole of a Publix near my house. Or slip down to Cocowalk or over the Rickenbacker to watch the sunset and windsurfers daily. Our location is 15-30 minutes to everywhere, but 5 minutes to nowhere we want to be or with the people we want to associate. If you have to live north of downtown at least get in midtown or further north to the 120's but we didn't do either.

One of our favorite pass times here is a Hooker count. We've got so good that we can tell when there's a new girl in town. I'd rather be strolling with a hottie in Sobe or walking my dog along side some smokin babe in Brickell but all that is a fantasy from our daily reality here.

Yep, no fun up here but if you're a pimp or a crack dealer it must be a fantastic place to call home.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:58 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
OK, so that's why you don't like Miami.
You tried to hit on the girls and they snubbed you.
Why am I not surprised?
The truth comes out.

Actually I know quite a few girls living in Brickell, and they have intelligence to go along with their sex appeal.
One of them happens to be my GF and a few others happen to be the friends of my GF.
I wouldn't be surprised if one of them snubbed you.
Did you even attempt a few words in Spanish?

These threads are useless.

OK, everyone carry-on with your hate-fest critiques of Miami people and culture. I'm going to go live the real world now.
Translation: your mom kicked you off her 'puter because you didn't wash the dishes and you need to do your homework

Have fun kiddo.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:54 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,829 times
*And yes, Miami is an evil place; a city built on dirty money and crime. *That kind of "bad" doesn't just go away in less than 3 decades. *Those people are still here and they've reproduced + Miami has attracted more garbage from other parts of the country and the world (that's why I call Miami the "A**hole Magnet".

---------------

Man, you are a cook from the Bible Belt. You're not fit to live in any big modern city.
Your kind was kicked out of the city generations ago, what the hell are you doing there?
50 years ago you would be preaching to country boys like you urging them to lynch blacks, but now you're at the end of the rope.
Miami is a modern, international city, no need for inbred Baptist yokels.
You might be right about the "A.s.s.h.o.l.e Magnet", you are yourself the prime example.

Last edited by Manolón; 12-17-2010 at 03:09 AM..

Old 12-17-2010, 04:19 AM

We got stopped by the cops last night. Cop said a tail light bulb was out. Checked my son's license and that was it. No ticket.

The cop asked what we are doing over there. We said we just moved here. He told us it was crack and transsexual hooker central and we didn't look like we belonged there. That's not the first time we've heard either.

The cop was from NY, so we hit it off immediately. We sat and talked awhile as he told us what to say to the cops if we had to shoot someone and explained how to carry a gun in the car without a permit.

My son asked why the cops didn't do something about the drug houses. He said because they are on the take. Cop said the worst of the worst is near the Dogma, that hotdog stand in the 70's and US1. Dogma is a 5 min walk from my house.

I didn't come to Florida to pack heat, or have to shoot someone or live in a crackahood. You can call me a Miami hater if you want but my vision of living in Florida didn't include this crap.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:28 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,942 times
Luckily, years ago, I had family that lived in Homestead so I got a little taste of real Miami. I knew the city had more than just beaches and city lights. Otherwise, I love visiting Miami's airport. The beautiful women are everywhere. I feel like a kid in a candy store. I cannot wait for my next flight.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:40 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,942 times
Seriously, the problem is "everyone" likes Miami. I mean "everyone." To me, California and Florida are comparable, both places are beautiful but it attracts all kinds. I would love to live there but so does "everyone" else.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:58 AM

350 posts, read 1,522,577 times
As a 39-year resident of Miami, I have found Jmlacysr's move and transition to be an interesting case study to follow. It's one that has been repeated over and over by unsuspecting "white" Americans who come here expecting one thing and finding quite another, and his complaints pretty much echo what they have said.

I agree with some things all these Miami-victims say: Miami is not a big city; it is an overgrown small town. People are flaky and don't call you back when they say they will. There's corruption. It's about who you know. The service is bad. Stuff like that. Miami is definitely not for everyone, for sure.

But what I find incongruous is that after 39 years there, I have been happy and have not been made bitter like these people. I know I’m not alone, there are plenty of us who like living in Miami. I wonder what is the difference? An outlook? I’m used to it? I’m part of the problem? A sense of humor? Maybe it’s simply that these people expect Miami to be like the rest of the United States? ‘Cause let me tell you, people – it ain’t! Honestly, I consider Miami to be another country, with the benefit of the American legal, medical, and economic systems

Jmlacysr, I suspect you would be singing a different tune if you had moved to a different area, although even then I’m not so sure. All those who have been seduced, chewed up and spit out by Miami before you I presume have lived in different neighborhoods than yours. I’m curious to know if they also lived in less-than-desireable areas, and if so, where. I still say I wish you had considered our rental in Miami Springs; your three dogs would have been welcome. The neighborhood is like what Miami was 30 years ago. Heck, even the local Rexall just opened up a new luncheonette counter, and everyone speaks English! I’m loving it where I am now, but I can’t wait to get back to Miami.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:27 AM

888 posts, read 886,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
Cop said the worst of the worst is near the Dogma, that hotdog stand in the 70's and US1. Dogma is a 5 min walk from my house.
Now I know you are exaggerating...

Dogma is across the street from one of the most highly regarded upscale restaurants in the city (Michy's), and next door to one of the coolest restos in that area (Uva 69), as well as the Starbucks across the street. Not to mention my optometrist. It's also down the street from Andiamo, one of the best pizzerias in town, and Soyka's - comfort food central. I also have my car washed at 60th. I play tennis at Morningside. There are designer consignments all around there (that my GF loves).

Why did not you move into the Palm Bay Yacht Club? It's a block down 69th from Biscayne. 2 BRs there rent for 1600-1700 (they are big units) and you've got great amenities (tennis, great gym, great pool, plenty of parking), and it's safe. The building is a 5 minute walk from Dogma - on the East side of US1.

Yes, I consider your area to be part of my neighborhood. It's the border between LH and UES.

Since I do hang out frequently in your area, I'll make sure I am on the look out for 2 white guys from Dallas packing heat, and I will inform accordingly everyone I know in that area, so that your neighbors take that under consideration and protect themselves from any slip up on your part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami