Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer...
I prefer Miami 48 60.00%
I actually prefer Los Angeles 32 40.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:25 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times

Advertisements

I spent two weeks in LA so I certainly can't present any in depth comparison, but given that these are my impressions:

LA has a far deeper richer culture than Miami IMO. It has just SO much more than Miami in just about every category. And when you throw in the Hollywood factor, LA is just bursting with iconic places. And all the celebrities there! You could probably count on your fingers the major celebs in Miami. In LA you couldn't even count them all. So much more possibility it would seem. LA just seems to burst with fame and glam.

However, maybe LA is just too spread out. In Miami, everything that matters is in one spot - SoBe. You're there, everything is there, all the time. I wonder how could I live in Hollywood, shop in Beverly Hills, and go to the beach anytime I wanted? You can do all that on SoBe. Plus LA seems a bit dirtier. Too much graffiti. Trashier. Filthier. Venice Beach seems like a flashback to Miami in the 80's. Too many tattoo joints. "Medical" marijuana? Gimme a break. Physicians devoting their lives to selling pot to be free thinkers? Damn, what medical ethics are there? And the famed Rodeo Drive? 3 blocks long! Jeez, talk about overhyped! I also noticed driving around LA in many places you see nothing but walls or hedges. People barricading themselves in. What good is all this fabulousness if no one can see it?

Miami or LA? If a car wasn't so absolutely required in LA, I'd probably go with LA w/o a second thought having already spent 3 years in Miami - just for no other reason to explore someplace new. But in reality, I wasn't totally sold on LA. To me, Miami is just way more beautiful, and so are the people. At least they were. I saw the Sunset Grill in Hollywood from the Don Henley song. The location sure isn't as romantic as he makes it seem. I think I'd be better off at the "Sunrise Grill".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 08:33 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
The two cities have a lot of similarities. Both are materialistic, both have tons of good looking women, both are beach cities. LA has 3X the population of Miami, but both cities are considered top 10 largest cities in the U.S. Miami is much more compact land-wise and is sandwiched between the Everglades and the Ocean. Both cities have huge ghettos and very wealthy pockets too.

Miami's advantages would be that the ocean temps are warm in the winter months, so no wetsuits needed. Less overall driving distances due to compact size of city even though traffic is bad in Miami like L.A. Cheaper rents and home prices than L.A. Miami also has an NFL team even though they suck right now, lol.
I have found home prices not to be much different. A very nice home on a hill over looking LA. So I guess that can be compared to a home on the water in Miami is around 1-2 million. Also there are so many more homes than in Miami since there is so much more land. Rent though I imagine is higher in LA.

As for traffic, LA traffic is much much worse.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:20 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
xSobe-

I disagree with you. Since when do people base their decision of where to live on the number of celebrities living there? Maybe if you are a paparazzi for a living. But anybody else would be a fool to do that. Also, Miami has way more celebrities than you are aware of. We are second only to LA and NYC in the number of celebrities living here or frequenting here. In recent years, Miami has caught up with NYC in that department.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:01 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
I spent two weeks in LA so I certainly can't present any in depth comparison, but given that these are my impressions:

LA has a far deeper richer culture than Miami IMO. It has just SO much more than Miami in just about every category. And when you throw in the Hollywood factor, LA is just bursting with iconic places. And all the celebrities there! You could probably count on your fingers the major celebs in Miami. In LA you couldn't even count them all. So much more possibility it would seem. LA just seems to burst with fame and glam.

However, maybe LA is just too spread out. In Miami, everything that matters is in one spot - SoBe. You're there, everything is there, all the time. I wonder how could I live in Hollywood, shop in Beverly Hills, and go to the beach anytime I wanted? You can do all that on SoBe. Plus LA seems a bit dirtier. Too much graffiti. Trashier. Filthier. Venice Beach seems like a flashback to Miami in the 80's. Too many tattoo joints. "Medical" marijuana? Gimme a break. Physicians devoting their lives to selling pot to be free thinkers? Damn, what medical ethics are there? And the famed Rodeo Drive? 3 blocks long! Jeez, talk about overhyped! I also noticed driving around LA in many places you see nothing but walls or hedges. People barricading themselves in. What good is all this fabulousness if no one can see it?

Miami or LA? If a car wasn't so absolutely required in LA, I'd probably go with LA w/o a second thought having already spent 3 years in Miami - just for no other reason to explore someplace new. But in reality, I wasn't totally sold on LA. To me, Miami is just way more beautiful, and so are the people. At least they were. I saw the Sunset Grill in Hollywood from the Don Henley song. The location sure isn't as romantic as he makes it seem. I think I'd be better off at the "Sunrise Grill".
celebrities are certainly an interesting aspect. It does like a very rich culture and everything else as well. It would be interesting to experience it for awhile as well.

Im not exactly sold on it either and I'm not sure why. I didn't find the beaches that great, and the people while interesting, not necessarily that interesting. Not sure why though.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:55 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
celebrities are certainly an interesting aspect. It does like a very rich culture and everything else as well. It would be interesting to experience it for awhile as well.

Im not exactly sold on it either and I'm not sure why. I didn't find the beaches that great, and the people while interesting, not necessarily that interesting. Not sure why though.
I'm not sure what you looking for but I hope you are not romantizing Miami. It happens to a lot of people. When you have great expectations, you will have great disappointments I can't still figure out what you find so interesting about Miami.

I'm the first one to tell you that Miami is not a branch of hell but Im worried about your word choice. Move here if you enjoy and can afford:

- fishing
- boating
- clubbing til 6 am
- hate cold weather with a passion
- year round vegetation
- going to the beach frequently

Don't move here if you want:
- Diversity
- walkable streets
- Nice weather(it's very hot for 9 months of the year)
- Interesting road trips
- A liberal environment(well it's liberal but not that liberal)

Old 10-09-2011, 03:27 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
I think Miami is great because A) the weather is so warm all year around, B) you can go to the beach all year around, C) it is the largest beach city in the Southeastern US, and D) it is very different from Tampa, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Orlando, and other very conservative Southeastern cities.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:49 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I'm not sure what you looking for but I hope you are not romantizing Miami. It happens to a lot of people. When you have great expectations, you will have great disappointments I can't still figure out what you find so interesting about Miami.

I'm the first one to tell you that Miami is not a branch of hell but Im worried about your word choice. Move here if you enjoy and can afford:

- fishing
- boating
- clubbing til 6 am
- year round vegetation

- Diversity -
walkable streets
- Interesting road trips
Diversity: Miami is not diverse like NYC or LA but after that it is Miami. Only people who think that everyone who speaks spanish is the same think Miami is not diverse. I was in Publix on Biscayne blvd a few days ago. I had a hispanic lady at the cash register, a nigerian man in front of me, a jamaican woman behind me in line, and a haitian man paying. While I saw couple speaking german. Yes Miami is not diverse at all. Next thing someone will say all the black people are the same too. That is the same thing saying all hispanics are the same. Haitains, African Americans and Jamaicans are the same??

Miami has plenty of a liberal environment, it is a bit more conservative than most large cities but unless your looking for hippe's in San Francisco it is fine.

Miami does lack a lot of walkable streets but LA does too. And there are some patches are good walkable areas. Downtown/Brickell, Miami Beach, Surfside, Mircle Mile/Downtown Gables, Downtown South Miami.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:21 PM

650 posts, read 1,630,071 times
^^^^ Yes I agree. Not all hispanics or blacks are the same. For example, statistically, black americans are the least educated race, but Nigerians are the most educated ethnicity in America.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:34 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post

- fishing
- boating
- clubbing til 6 am
- year round vegetation

- Diversity
- walkable streets
- Interesting road trips
You nailed it Princess!

Old 10-09-2011, 04:44 PM

45 posts, read 163,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
It's sub-tropical
Miami's climate is a tropical monsoon climate.
Tropical monsoon climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Climate of Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jacksonville & Tampa both have humid subtropical climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami