Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer...
I prefer Miami 48 60.00%
I actually prefer Los Angeles 32 40.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:22 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,960,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
I spent two weeks in LA so I certainly can't present any in depth comparison, but given that these are my impressions:

LA has a far deeper richer culture than Miami IMO. It has just SO much more than Miami in just about every category. And when you throw in the Hollywood factor, LA is just bursting with iconic places. And all the celebrities there! You could probably count on your fingers the major celebs in Miami. In LA you couldn't even count them all. So much more possibility it would seem. LA just seems to burst with fame and glam.

However, maybe LA is just too spread out. In Miami, everything that matters is in one spot - SoBe. You're there, everything is there, all the time. I wonder how could I live in Hollywood, shop in Beverly Hills, and go to the beach anytime I wanted? You can do all that on SoBe. Plus LA seems a bit dirtier. Too much graffiti. Trashier. Filthier. Venice Beach seems like a flashback to Miami in the 80's. Too many tattoo joints. "Medical" marijuana? Gimme a break. Physicians devoting their lives to selling pot to be free thinkers? Damn, what medical ethics are there? And the famed Rodeo Drive? 3 blocks long! Jeez, talk about overhyped! I also noticed driving around LA in many places you see nothing but walls or hedges. People barricading themselves in. What good is all this fabulousness if no one can see it?

Miami or LA? If a car wasn't so absolutely required in LA, I'd probably go with LA w/o a second thought having already spent 3 years in Miami - just for no other reason to explore someplace new. But in reality, I wasn't totally sold on LA. To me, Miami is just way more beautiful, and so are the people. At least they were. I saw the Sunset Grill in Hollywood from the Don Henley song. The location sure isn't as romantic as he makes it seem. I think I'd be better off at the "Sunrise Grill".
Isn't that pretty much I-95 throughout much of South Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Miami is not tropical....it experiences freezing temperatures. It is sub-tropical.
Charlotte is sub-tropical. Miami and Charlotte are climatically different for the most part. For instance, Charlotte receives freezing temps annually, Miami VERY, VERY rarely does.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Lets get back on topic, shall we?

LA and Miami?

which one do u prefer?

I've only been to LA once back in 2005....for a week lol
so I cant really say.
Tho, I do remember "SoCal" being beautiful not necessarily LA proper, rather Santa Monica, Laguna Beach, Redondo Beach, Bev Hills, Calabasas, Pasadena, etc, which is all kind of part of LA I guess, so I dunno.

Miami has less to look out outside the beaches. I mean dont get me wrong, the beaches and water are truly gorgeous in Miami, however if you're just driving along Ives Dairy rd in north miami-dade county west of 95.....it's not exactly anything to write home about.

where as in LA theres canyons, mountains, vistas, crazy beautiful views everywhere, etc. U can literally hike to the top of a mountain and see views of the ocean or city which are breathtaking, only way u get that in miami is if u live in a highrise condo

so it's a toss up. I do like the warm nights in south florida tho, like that general warmth even at night, its like hot still lol where as in LA it gets cool and im not a fan of cool weather really.
I agree, as much as I love Miami, from a natural beauty perspective, it can't compare to LA outside of beaches. Canyons, Vistas, Mountain Ski-resorts all within LA. Not many, if any, cities can compete with LA.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:36 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,254,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Not many, if any, cities can compete with LA.
San Francisco, Seattle, Oakland, Honolulu, Anchorage to name a few. I agree, if any cities can compete with LA on this they're all western cities.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:37 PM

Coral Gables, and Coconut Grove, are interesting places worth visiting outside of Miami Beach.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
San Francisco, Seattle, Oakland, Honolulu, Anchorage to name a few. I agree, if any cities can compete with LA on this they're all western cities.
Yeah, only Western cities.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:27 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,066,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
I pretty solidly disagree about walkability in Miami. Most of Dade is definitely not walkable, but ALL of Miami Beach is. If you want to live completely car-free, it is totally doable on Miami Beach. I did it for a year, and then did two years with just a motorcycle.

IMO, most everything worthwhile in greater Miami is on the islands or right on the metromover. Live on the beach, occasionally busing to the metromover - you got it all.

Out of the three years living in Miami, I would say half maybe 2/3 of the time I never left the island. That's probably why I my Miami experience was so good. I lived in the best part and stayed there.
That's back then when you lived the 24-7 party lifetyle and you were like 20.

We still don't know what Tiger is looking for. If I remember correctly he is no spring chicken and might not be looking for that party lifestyle

Old 10-11-2011, 12:49 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
That's back then when you lived the 24-7 party lifetyle and you were like 20.

We still don't know what Tiger is looking for. If I remember correctly he is no spring chicken and might not be looking for that party lifestyle
It is a thread about Miami-ites perceptions on L.A. It's not about me at all, I don't want to get off topic with people thinking I'm looking for something. I'm just a person who likes Miami and South Florida.

So, I'd say xS☺Be's post is 100% relevant. Excellent point made by the way, in favor of Miami and some walkability. Granted, ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ has a point that if we were talking about me, my marriage probably wouldn't be better off living in SoBe. Nor would it in Hollywood either, I'm sure.

Back to topic, I hear parts of L.A. has walkability - Pasadena or Glendale? Parts of Hollywood as well, Koreantown I've heard, and maybe a few others. So, maybe they both have a little bit of it in spots.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:22 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,497,828 times
I prefer Miami better.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:53 PM

They remind me of each other. Outside of weather, topography, and maybe some diversity differences, I don't see how you can absolutely loathe one, and absolutely love the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami