Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 5,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Though Miami gets colder during its freezes than other tropical places, and is still not in the Tropical Zone (between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn). Miami is semitropical.
Miami is mostlytropical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 01:34 PM

367 posts, read 941,122 times
I was born and raised in Miami but I have family from real tropical places such as the Colombian Pacific coast and Atlantic coast, Panama and Jamaica. Miami is near tropical, and the closest thing to tropical we have in the continental US but it's not tropical. It will never get cold in the Colombian Pacific rainforest- the Choco like it does in Miami's winter season. I cannot grow chontaduro and borojo here. Miami is a good prep spot for a true tropical experience you will feel when you go to Jamaica, Trinidad, Panama, Belize, and cities like Cartagena in Colombia.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:11 PM

525 posts, read 761,093 times
Nope. Sorry. Miami is NOT tropical. There is MUCH more to it than Miami's winter temps. Miami does not fall into that specific area of the earth that has INTENSE SUNLIGHT DUE TO POSITION.

CURVATURE OF THE EARTH BETWEN THE TROPIC OF CANCER AND THE TROPIC OF CAPRICORN.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:05 PM

36 posts, read 53,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
Nope. Sorry. Miami is NOT tropical. There is MUCH more to it than Miami's winter temps. Miami does not fall into that specific area of the earth that has INTENSE SUNLIGHT DUE TO POSITION.

CURVATURE OF THE EARTH BETWEN THE TROPIC OF CANCER AND THE TROPIC OF CAPRICORN.
If we are not tropical then why do we have Pollo Tropical?

Old 08-19-2012, 07:55 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Periquita View Post
If we are not tropical then why do we have Pollo Tropical?
lol, I always think about that when I come to this thread...Maybe they use seasoning and cooking techniques from Tropical countries? I don't know really....

Old 08-19-2012, 09:37 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
lol, I always think about that when I come to this thread...Maybe they use seasoning and cooking techniques from Tropical countries? I don't know really....
Pollo Subtropical doesn't exactly have a great ring to it

Old 08-21-2012, 07:29 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Pollo Subtropical doesn't exactly have a great ring to it
Well, if we are not Tropical, we are not Spanish speaking either. We might have Spanish speakers but we are not a Spanish speaking country....so, while we have some aspects of speaking Spanish, we are not a Spanish speaking city. I'd say that we are a good "jumping off point" for real Spanish speaking countries and cities like Cartagena, Colombia and San Juan, Puerto Rico.

in the end, it's "Chicken Subtropical"

Old 08-21-2012, 01:33 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
I'm not going to lose sleep worrying about whether Miami is tropical or not, even if a coconut drops on my head

Old 02-15-2014, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,999 times
Actually, the definition of Tropical has do do the the angle of the sun. At or around 23.5 degrees north (or south) of the equator the sun will reach a 90 degree angle in the sky. 23.5 is the northern limit of the sun angle reaching that 90 degree straight up angle. I live in St Petersburg, Florida. We have tropical micro climates on the gulf beaches and around the shores of Tampa Bay. Here in Pinellas county you can find mature coconut palms bearing fruit. Although a coconut palm here will only produce 10-15 as opposed to 60 or more per year in Naples down to the south. That is due to our 10 degrees colder winter temps. We only get frost here every 3-4 years or so. But just north of Pinellas county or across the bridge in Tampa, one could not grow all of the lush tropical plants we grow in St. Petersburg. Just barely do they survive our infrequent cold snaps though. St Petersburg is at a latitude of 27.44 degrees north. So on June 21st every summer solstice, the sun reaches a maximum value of 85 degrees at noon. It reaches 88 degrees at noon in the summer in Miami. So no part of Florida EVER gets that 90 degree or more sun angle that is required of a tropical location such as Cuba. But it's close enough. Especially in summer!

Old 02-15-2014, 06:33 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
Monsoon Tropical as stated by Kloppenheimer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami