Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2016, 04:34 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periquita View Post
If we are not tropical then why do we have Pollo Tropical?
Bwahahahahaha!!!

I wish I could credit you points, but the forum wouldn't let me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 05:10 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,604,192 times
A tropical climate is defined by how much rainfall/precipitation there is and if the mean temperature is 64 degrees(or higher) for all twelve months. The following counties all meet that criteria: Palm beach, Broward, Miami-Dade, Monroe and parts of Collier.

So, yes Miami has a true tropical climate. 13 pages of a lot of people refusing to acknowledge facts.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:13 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times
Ok, so I've followed this thread for a while. I've completed my 4th trip to Florida this year for work. I usually take a few hours to enjoy the area. On Friday I drove through the Everglades from the entrance down to Flamingo.

At the entrance I noticed a lot of pine and willow trees, mixed of course with grasses, mixed with tropical broad leaf trees and small palms. By the time I got down to Flamingo, the pines and willows were gone and the entire vegetation seemed more tropical. There's also a population of Cuban crocodiles at Flamingo, but not in the northern part of the park. Crocs can only live in tropical climates, but alligators can tolerate cold better. I also did a small hike at the Royal Palm visitor's center and there was a note that about 70% of the Everglades' plants are tropical.

On Saturday I drove to the middle keys. I don't recall seeing any pines or temperate-looking plants (I'm not a botanist admittedly) at all along the drive, but it seemed truly tropical.

This is just my unscientific opinion, but I believe South Florida is really at a crossroads where the transition to tropical begins. Regardless, it looks like I'll be getting monthly trips down there during the winter. So when I leave 25 degrees and snow and arrive to 75 and sunny, it will be wonderful however you classify it.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:47 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,993 times
Oh god, this debate again. Nooooooooooo!!

Old 10-21-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Ok, so I've followed this thread for a while. I've completed my 4th trip to Florida this year for work. I usually take a few hours to enjoy the area. On Friday I drove through the Everglades from the entrance down to Flamingo.

At the entrance I noticed a lot of pine and willow trees, mixed of course with grasses, mixed with tropical broad leaf trees and small palms. By the time I got down to Flamingo, the pines and willows were gone and the entire vegetation seemed more tropical. There's also a population of Cuban crocodiles at Flamingo, but not in the northern part of the park. Crocs can only live in tropical climates, but alligators can tolerate cold better. I also did a small hike at the Royal Palm visitor's center and there was a note that about 70% of the Everglades' plants are tropical.

On Saturday I drove to the middle keys. I don't recall seeing any pines or temperate-looking plants (I'm not a botanist admittedly) at all along the drive, but it seemed truly tropical.

This is just my unscientific opinion, but I believe South Florida is really at a crossroads where the transition to tropical begins. Regardless, it looks like I'll be getting monthly trips down there during the winter. So when I leave 25 degrees and snow and arrive to 75 and sunny, it will be wonderful however you classify it.

I think it's notable that we are able to support Breadfruit trees here in North Miami, which are considered an ultratropical plant. For what it's worth, we also have several very healthy specimens of Baobab trees here.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:25 AM

That's without even mentioning our very happy coconut palms.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:05 AM
kwe

7 posts, read 8,239 times
When I went on the tour to the Fruit and Spice Park, the guide (a horticultural expert with a string of degrees) pointed out that the cacao trees (chocolate) needed to be sheltered in the winter months as Miami's climate is not tropical. The native habitat of the cacao tree is west Africa (Ivory Coast). If the cacao tree needs shelter in Miami for the winter months, then surely Miami cannot be considered as a "real" tropical climate... Miami has strong elements of a tropical climate but it is not real deal.... just sayin' and sorry for prolonging the debate....

Old 10-21-2016, 10:31 AM

4,861 posts, read 2,673,519 times
sub-tropical

Old 10-21-2016, 12:28 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,866,005 times
But we have Pollo Tropical so suck on that egg LOL

Old 10-22-2016, 04:00 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
After careful deliberation I'm gonna vote for tropical but not tropics. Hell even Central Florida can sustain tons of tropical plants like Cocos.

When ever I drive to Miami I can easily see the transition being made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami