Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 09:39 AM

182 posts, read 511,891 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'll be visiting Miami in November. Staying in Wynwood most likely. Is it feasible to just bike around as opposed to renting a car? As a note, I'm not opposed to biking at all, I bike 6-10 miles quite often, and from what I can tell, it's about a 7 mile trek from Wynwood to South Beach area.

My trip will include hanging around Wynwood, hitting South Beach, going to a Heat game, and probably Little Haiti and Little Havana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 09:48 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,866,647 times
Riding a bike in Miami is considered a form of suicide.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
Riding a bike in Miami is considered a form of suicide.
How so?

Old 09-29-2015, 10:28 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times
Actually, in the City itself and on the Beach biking has become more popular, though not as much in the surrounding suburban areas. There is Citibike bike share in Wynwood, downtown, Brickell, Coconut Grove, and in Miami Beach. It is definitely feasible, though you want to stay off of the main roads. Avoid US1 especially north of the arts center (NE 2nd Ave. is a more sane alternative, as are Miami Ave. and NE 1st Ave. through downtown). NW 2nd Ave. and NW/NE 14th ST, and the MacArthur Causeway have bike lanes. But for the bridges on the MacArthur, stick to the protected walkways. The causeway bike lanes are wide and have a 1-2 ft buffer from traffic with rumble strips (though it's not a physical barrier). Sometimes people stop in the bike lane so you have to stop and wait for a break in the traffic to pass. I bike the Causeway regularly and usually encounter 3-4 bicyclists going the same way during the 20 minutes it takes me to get across (I'm a bit slow). In fact, Miami Beach has the most people on bikes that you'll see anywhere in Florida.

For the Heat game, come across on 14th and use the wide walkway along Biscayne Blvd. to the arena. Little Haiti is a few minutes up NW 2nd. Little Havana is a bit of a challenge, I'd probably go down to 14th ST then west to 7th Ave. and take that down--that part of 7th Ave. is relatively sane traffic wise (it's a somewhat sketchy part of town) and there are also sidewalks without many pedestrians if you need them.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:30 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdplaya View Post
Hey all, I'll be visiting Miami in November. Staying in Wynwood most likely. Is it feasible to just bike around as opposed to renting a car? As a note, I'm not opposed to biking at all, I bike 6-10 miles quite often, and from what I can tell, it's about a 7 mile trek from Wynwood to South Beach area.

My trip will include hanging around Wynwood, hitting South Beach, going to a Heat game, and probably Little Haiti and Little Havana.
little tricky going to SoBe with the Venetian Causeway not accessible.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:20 AM

59 posts, read 58,862 times
Try a scooter

Old 09-29-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
little tricky going to SoBe with the Venetian Causeway not accessible.
Why is that not accessible? From what I've been looking at on Google Maps, that's the ideal route to get to South Beach area.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Actually, in the City itself and on the Beach biking has become more popular, though not as much in the surrounding suburban areas. There is Citibike bike share in Wynwood, downtown, Brickell, Coconut Grove, and in Miami Beach. It is definitely feasible, though you want to stay off of the main roads. Avoid US1 especially north of the arts center (NE 2nd Ave. is a more sane alternative, as are Miami Ave. and NE 1st Ave. through downtown). NW 2nd Ave. and NW/NE 14th ST, and the MacArthur Causeway have bike lanes. But for the bridges on the MacArthur, stick to the protected walkways. The causeway bike lanes are wide and have a 1-2 ft buffer from traffic with rumble strips (though it's not a physical barrier). Sometimes people stop in the bike lane so you have to stop and wait for a break in the traffic to pass. I bike the Causeway regularly and usually encounter 3-4 bicyclists going the same way during the 20 minutes it takes me to get across (I'm a bit slow). In fact, Miami Beach has the most people on bikes that you'll see anywhere in Florida.

For the Heat game, come across on 14th and use the wide walkway along Biscayne Blvd. to the arena. Little Haiti is a few minutes up NW 2nd. Little Havana is a bit of a challenge, I'd probably go down to 14th ST then west to 7th Ave. and take that down--that part of 7th Ave. is relatively sane traffic wise (it's a somewhat sketchy part of town) and there are also sidewalks without many pedestrians if you need them.
This is GREAT info. Thank you! From what I've been reading online, people are down on biking as opposed to renting a car, so this is a welcome post.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:58 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdplaya View Post
Why is that not accessible? From what I've been looking at on Google Maps, that's the ideal route to get to South Beach area.
its closed and under repairs at the moment

Old 09-29-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
its closed and under repairs at the moment
Oh. Are there alternative routes? I should ask if me visiting in November would allow me to come in after it is back up and running, if you happen to know the timing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami