Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 05:03 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,886 times

Advertisements

It's amazing to hear about the great number of 'weathered' Miamians, Hispanic and non-Hispanic, who have given up on Miami and have moved to North Carolina for lower cost of living, better jobs, and friendlier people.

In the 1950's, Miami's biggest problem was mosquitos. Now, people have taken the place of mosquitos.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:16 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
^^^Hispanics are moving too, I have known a few that have left, mostly to give their children a better life. In their opinion Miami wasn't were they wanted to raise their children.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:35 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
I live in Charlotte and over all is a fairly friendly city. You have to understand that of the 2.2 million in the metro area...65% of the people or more are not from NC. Alot of transpalnts.

And when you factor in the state income tax (if you work)...it is not that cheap to live here. Yes cheaper than MIA...but it is all relevant to where you live.

Crime is over all much less than Miami-Dade...so who ever is talking about all the car break-ins...who cares...I would rather have my car broken into than robbed at gun point. Home invasions are every where...no higher here than any where else.

NC is not the land of milk & honey...but does boast an overall very good quality of life. We have beautiful deserted beaches and beautiful mountains too...so overall not a bad place.

That is why so many people are flocking here...it offers eveything you need (except alot of cuban food..lol). Charlotte is booming with construction...in the Uptown area even with the economy the way it is.

I know there will be alot of haters in response to this..but you can't stop that.

Be Blessed!

Old 07-10-2009, 09:54 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times
Observer

Unfortunately many people can not relate or do not want to relate(refuse) to the difference in quality of life as well as the diminishing quality of life in Miami. Of course, I when I refer to quality of life I mean respect, common courtesy, manners, civility, patience, lack of hostility, etc.

On the other hand, there are those who can care less about all those characteristics which I feel are positive characteristics and only think of themselves and actually enjoy what is known in spanish as "chusmeria".

-----------

Observer

What's so important about respect, common courtesy, manners, civility, patience, lack of hostility, etc.

It's just make-believe, hipocresy. You are confusing yokel courtesanism with reality. I bet that when you turn and get lost, they'll put you down. Southern yokels are like that. Snake on the grass, they say.

I'd rather prefer a Redneck peckerwood that talk his mind out that all that sugar coating. I'd rather prefer some chusmeria. I can't stand falsehood and fake manners.

I think that you place too much importance on courtesanism.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:01 PM

552 posts, read 592,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Observer

Unfortunately many people can not relate or do not want to relate(refuse) to the difference in quality of life as well as the diminishing quality of life in Miami. Of course, I when I refer to quality of life I mean respect, common courtesy, manners, civility, patience, lack of hostility, etc.

On the other hand, there are those who can care less about all those characteristics which I feel are positive characteristics and only think of themselves and actually enjoy what is known in spanish as "chusmeria".

-----------

Observer

What's so important about respect, common courtesy, manners, civility, patience, lack of hostility, etc. LOL - I think you have lived in Miami too long.

It's just make-believe, hipocresy. See above. Maybe in Miami, but in places like NC, people ask how you are doing and *gasp* actually care. You are confusing yokel courtesanism with reality. I bet that when you turn and get lost, they'll put you down. Southern yokels are like that. Snake on the grass, they say.

I'd rather prefer a Redneck peckerwood that talk his mind out that all that sugar coating. I'd rather prefer some chusmeria. I can't stand falsehood and fake manners.

I think that you place too much importance on courtesanism.
No wonder Miami is so bad - people dont even realize what it's like other places and how normal people act. Courtesy, manners, patience are all major pluses for most people. But in Miami, it's not normal. Gee, maybe that's the reason why Miami is what it is...

Old 07-10-2009, 12:02 PM

552 posts, read 592,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I live in Charlotte and over all is a fairly friendly city. You have to understand that of the 2.2 million in the metro area...65% of the people or more are not from NC. Alot of transpalnts.

And when you factor in the state income tax (if you work)...it is not that cheap to live here. Yes cheaper than MIA...but it is all relevant to where you live.

Crime is over all much less than Miami-Dade...so who ever is talking about all the car break-ins...who cares...I would rather have my car broken into than robbed at gun point. Home invasions are every where...no higher here than any where else.

NC is not the land of milk & honey...but does boast an overall very good quality of life. We have beautiful deserted beaches and beautiful mountains too...so overall not a bad place.

That is why so many people are flocking here...it offers eveything you need (except alot of cuban food..lol). Charlotte is booming with construction...in the Uptown area even with the economy the way it is.

I know there will be alot of haters in response to this..but you can't stop that.

Be Blessed!
It was probably Compelled. Any positives about a place like Charlotte is always put down, and stats are thrown around to prove that Charlotte - in Compelled's words - in as dangerous as Miami. It doesnt matter how many times soneone has been there - or even that you live there - stats says it all and there is no convincing otherwise - I have tried.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:17 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times
No wonder Miami is so bad - people dont even realize what it's like other places and how normal people act. Courtesy, manners, patience are all major pluses for most people. But in Miami, it's not normal. Gee, maybe that's the reason why Miami is what it is...

----------

Yes, Miami is a city. Cities are like that.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:26 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
It was probably Compelled. Any positives about a place like Charlotte is always put down, and stats are thrown around to prove that Charlotte - in Compelled's words - in as dangerous as Miami. It doesnt matter how many times soneone has been there - or even that you live there - stats says it all and there is no convincing otherwise - I have tried.
Charlotte has a lot of positives, but low crime isn't one of them, sorry. To this day, I still blame the burglar for breaking into my car, not Charlotte itself.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:13 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Charlotte has a lot of positives, but low crime isn't one of them, sorry. To this day, I still blame the burglar for breaking into my car, not Charlotte itself.
Where do you get your stats from?

ALL crime is down in EVERY neighborhood in Charlotte. Can you say the same about South Florida...Miami in particular?

Oh wait...it was up in 2 areas...Larceny & Bicycle thefts.

Those are nothing to be even concerned about.

Did a simple car break in ruin your life in Charlotte. I have had 2 cars broken into...big deal...at least I have never been mugged, car jacked, had a home invasion...etc

Charlotte's crime is not bad...compared to South Flordia...it is a walk in the park.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:19 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Where do you get your stats from?

ALL crime is down in EVERY neighborhood in Charlotte. Can you say the same about South Florida...Miami in particular?

Oh wait...it was up in 2 areas...Larceny & Bicycle thefts.

Those are nothing to be even concerned about.

Did a simple car break in ruin your life in Charlotte. I have had 2 cars broken into...big deal...at least I have never been mugged, car jacked, had a home invasion...etc

Charlotte's crime is not bad...compared to South Flordia...it is a walk in the park.
Okay, for the record, the worst thing to happen to me here was getting pickpocketed of 20 dollars in Coconut Grove (I probably acutally lost it), and getting a pair of crappy sunglasses stolen out of my unlocked car. You live in a dream world if you think robbery and home invasion aren't a problem in Charlotte. And a couple of hard headed members keep on insisting that the stats are up for Miami when I can in fact show them the link that it's not (I have posted all over the forum). That's besides the point that crime goes up and down everywhere, but the rate of crime is still higher in Mecklenburg County vs Miami-Dade County. The newscast isn't as graphic, but your chance of being victimized is just as high. Fact is, neither place has an ideal crime rate. My stats come from each states respective department of law enforcement.

And also for the record, I like Charlotte and I agree with your overall point. As I said, I blame the burglar, not Charlotte, so not sure why this response was warranted.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-10-2009 at 03:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami