Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 08:49 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,911,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCKING View Post
WOW...what part of Miami did you live in?? Allapattah?? You wanna raise kids, check out North Carolina...your kids will be Grade A students.

Yo, I was born in NY thug Latin street hustler. I'm in Miami working in a multi-billion $ Company. Like yourself, a college grad had to make moves to succeed. You gotta do your homework and realize that your cant attend college in the state of CT majoring in Art when the State of CT is the capital of Insurance companies.

Sooo, Miami you see many construction of new skyscrapers. Does Engineering ring a bell?? Or how about a Doctor?? Health Career is a Universal Degree. If you have kids, don't cut corners buying homes in Miami...try Broward county like Pembroke Pines. Yes tons of fun, "Club City" where clubs end at 3 pm (yes, doors open @ 10pm and close at 3 p.m. the following day.)

School is a business, there is no promises. Do you know how many business opportunities exist for entrepreneurs here in Miami? Do your homework...what business exist in NY that Miami doesn't have?? will it work? Invest!!

Crime: Yes I thought NJ was bad until I came here. Its not the people's fault, your forced to adapt. I used to use my turn signals at every giving second of a turn...now ima cut you off in the lane without waving thanks...why??? pretty simple.

FL State Tax = $0. I have never been on the highway in a metro city and noticed how theirs no cops anywhere!!! Maybe once in a blue, but wow they are nowhere to be found. who's paying them?? Not my taxes, maybe the drug dealers?

But if NY had the highest crime rate why cant Miami have the same??

If your a patient, disciplined and optimistic individual, and have very good communication skills. You can have Miami in your hands. Miami's motto is cut corners and get it fast without thinking about risks. Become the opposite and you will succeed.
Well, haha. I live in NMB, worked mostly in Sobe and have spent a good amount of time in North Miami, Hialeah, downtown-ish, and the gables.
Part of me thinks I should move to Hialeah just to learn spanish quick.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:11 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I can really relate to this. I'm half Bolivian, but can barely speak spanish. I look very latinia tho, people always ask me if I'm Columbian or Brazilian. I'm from the North East, so it was never an issue. When I moved here, at least twice a day someone would ask me "Why don't you speak spanish?" or say "Its important to learn!". I completely agree with these statements.
But as days go on, and people who don't even know you keep telling you this, it can be really frustrating. I have been accused on multiple occasions of lying about my inability to speak fluent spanish. Many people thought I was some type of snob making a statement. I remember getting really offended by some people. A lot of people thought I was some sick liar or a wannabe "white" girl. I'm me. A half latin half european girl from Boston. Maybe I act more "American" than what you would expect but that is because I am from America.
It was a very strange thing to go through. In my hometown, up North, I always associated myself with Latin people and considered myself to be a Latina. But when first I moved here I felt like an awful excuse for one. It was confusing, and strangely enough all of my friends here happen to be white people from Chicago or New England.
A couple months ago, I got blonde highlights and ever since then, people I meet don't mention anything about my inability to speak spanish. To me, this is really funny. I can really notice the diffrence in how people treat me now and before.

Bottom Line: Don't let language effect your choice to come down here. Think of it as an opportunity to learn Spanish. If things get tough, just get some blonde highlights.
Move back up North with NORMAL people. You are like a Stockholm Syndrome victim who finally thinks that abnormality is normal

The abused woman who thinks if they are nice enough, smart enough, not annoying enough or SPANISH ENOUGH that everyone will love her. See it?

This stupid crap about who is what ....and why don't people speak whatever ....and degree of skin color....and what kinky hair means if you're a good guesser.....and all that other RIDICULOUS garbage is a typical village mentality that cultures brought over here. Where their entire lives revolve around some perceived identity or class.

As you know this is not how anybody outside of Miami acts or at least outside of Florida. My Greek in-laws were the same way but we're talking about the 70's IN GREECE and folks without much else to gossip about.

ROFLMAO at these ridiculous stories. You couldn't dream this crap up. My mom advise to you is: Do yourself a favor and take yourself to a place where you can be a serious person, finish your education and have a serious life.

In any urban city you can attend a good school, use public trans, find jobs , not need a car and have friends with common interests and personalities that aren't nuts.

These Miami people are not serious people. They're living in their own world. And the longer you are part of it the more any skills and sharpness you have going for you and are going to erode until you're like one of them. Underachieving, brain fried, clouded vision and benchmarking yourself against the lowest common denominator of people. Not mention you will make more money anywhere in the country over Florida, what's the point?

<de mom-ing now LOL>

Old 07-16-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Move back up North with NORMAL people. You are like a Stockholm Syndrome victim who finally thinks that abnormality is normal

The abused woman who thinks if they are nice enough, smart enough, not annoying enough or SPANISH ENOUGH that everyone will love her. See it?

This stupid crap about who is what ....and why don't people speak whatever ....and degree of skin color....and what kinky hair means if you're a good guesser.....and all that other RIDICULOUS garbage is a typical village mentality that cultures brought over here. Where their entire lives revolve around some perceived identity or class.

As you know this is not how anybody outside of Miami acts or at least outside of Florida. My Greek in-laws were the same way but we're talking about the 70's IN GREECE and folks without much else to gossip about.

ROFLMAO at these ridiculous stories. You couldn't dream this crap up. My mom advise to you is: Do yourself a favor and take yourself to a place where you can be a serious person, finish your education and have a serious life.

In any urban city you can attend a good school, use public trans, find jobs , not need a car and have friends with common interests and personalities that aren't nuts.

These Miami people are not serious people. They're living in their own world. And the longer you are part of it the more any skills and sharpness you have going for you and are going to erode until you're like one of them. Underachieving, brain fried, clouded vision and benchmarking yourself against the lowest common denominator of people. Not mention you will make more money anywhere in the country over Florida, what's the point?

<de mom-ing now LOL>
Haha, I love your response to me. This is so refreshing. Part of me is itching to move back home, I haven't even gone north of Orlando for the past two years. I still feel like such a Boston girl. I miss being intelectually stimulated

Are you from/live in Miami? If you left, what made you move?

I can't help but be worried about moving. I'm a broke community college student who works full-time as a bartender so my financial situation is very fragile.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:41 AM

551 posts, read 3,124,192 times
Pear Martini:
I'm in situation somewhat similar to you, although I'm finally getting out of Miami next week. I came from a liberal, mid-sized city near Chicago that was very beautiful, intellectual, and full of the arts. I miss that deeply, thus why I'm moving back. I can sympathize with many of the things you mentioned. After awhile here, you start thinking that this way of life is normal (or tolerable), but every time I make a trip back to Chicago (or most other cities outside of South Florida, for that matter), I realize what I'm missing and what IS actually normal. Anyhow though, Miami is its own "unique" (to put it politely) place and is not for everybody--myself included. Are you thinking of moving back to Boston anytime soon? What are the positives about staying in Miami? Boston is a lovely city--good luck to you.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:42 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,471,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Because people think that warm weather and palm tress will solve all the problems they have.

It`s really hard to know if you will like someplace by reaserch alone you have to live it.
So true, I couldn't say it any better! The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
You have to be from somewhere worse to love Miami.
I agreeeeeee!!!!!!!!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
Pear Martini:
I'm in situation somewhat similar to you, although I'm finally getting out of Miami next week. I came from a liberal, mid-sized city near Chicago that was very beautiful, intellectual, and full of the arts. I miss that deeply, thus why I'm moving back. I can sympathize with many of the things you mentioned. After awhile here, you start thinking that this way of life is normal (or tolerable), but every time I make a trip back to Chicago (or most other cities outside of South Florida, for that matter), I realize what I'm missing and what IS actually normal. Anyhow though, Miami is its own "unique" (to put it politely) place and is not for everybody--myself included. Are you thinking of moving back to Boston anytime soon? What are the positives about staying in Miami? Boston is a lovely city--good luck to you.
Its nice to know I'm not the only one! haha. The postives about staying in Miami? My mother (who is in her 50's) lives here. She is single and has no other family here, part of me feels guilty leaving her.
Congrats on moving back home! I hope things go well when you get there.
I really need to get out of South Florida for a while to remind myself of what the rest of this great country is like.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:49 AM

I don't know spanish and I am fine. I do get annoyed however when a sales person at a store doesn't speak spanish and so they need to find me someone that does speak English or when people start to speak spanish to me first. I would give anything to live in San Diego, btw. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Is Miami really that bad if you don't know spanish AND are hispanic? I've been really thinking about moving there despite all the negatives things I've read but think I can adapt b/c I feel you gotta appreciate what a place has to offer and not get all hung up on how it's different from where you came from. I want to leave CA for a complete change of scenery and lifestyle and Miami seems like a good place for that. But my biggest fear is the fact that I don't speak spanish and look very hispanic, have darker skin and all.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
After awhile here, you start thinking that this way of life is normal (or tolerable), but every time I make a trip back to Chicago (or most other cities outside of South Florida, for that matter), I realize what I'm missing and what IS actually normal.
So true!!!!!!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:18 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,579,709 times
I think I stated this in another thread that there is no place in this country that is perfect,Miami has its attributes such as palm trees, sunshine,beautiful architecture,beautiful women,but it has its drawbacks just like any other city has its attributes and drawbacks.There is too much generalization on this forum,not by all but by some who want to blanket Miami as a complete crime wave or a total ghetto,when there are many beautiful areas of Miami and the crime is bad but definitely not all over.Miami is a beautiful city and if one wants to call it abnormal than do,but to me thats what makes it exciting.

Miami is as great as any other city in the country and maybe not all people are cultured in the arts ,but there are a lot that are and there is more intelligence here than given credit.

This is sour grapes by the OP ,it is tough going to college part-time and working as a bartender but that is life,that is what they call a vicious cycle and after awhile it gets old and wears on you and that person eventually obtains a negative view on life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami