Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 08:07 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the link... that's great news!

Until I got to this,

Quote:
Koons said it could be 10 years before local commuter service starts.
More waiting... *sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:22 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmover View Post
This post is for people looking for information about public transit in South Florida ***MOD CUT***

I want to share my personal story about using public transit in a more limited place than South Florida.

Before I moved to South Florida, I was living in Orlando Metro Area for three years. My only source of transportation during all this time was public transit. LINX is the name of the regional transit authority of Central Florida. LYNX is not the most complete and efficient transit system, but at least satisfied my basic needs while I was working as a library aide... earning $7.25 per hr and, at the same time, LEARNING ENGLISH and completing my Master's Degree... studying during evenings and weekends.

Certainly I had to make many adjustments to my lifestyle... particularly the nightlife... but I always found some classmate to hang out with.
I just remember how some people I dated judged me as lazy or low class just for not having a car and living in a cheap and not so good neigborhood. I didn't care what other people thought about me... my main goal in Orlando was to get my degree and I DID IT last May.

Now I moved to South Florida and still using public transit... both Broward and Miami-Dade. I am the most happy man in this World... there is a regional rail, public bus and metro rail available. WAS THERE SOMETHING SIMILAR IN ORLANDO??.... NOOOO!!!

For now, public transit satisfies my needs and even much better than before in Orlando. I will get a car eventually... it is necessary in South Florida but not essential... at least for me.

MY POINTS:
1. There are many other transit systems worst than in South Florida.
2. If you are really motivated, you get what you want... it doesn't matter your limitations or how long does it takes.
3. Get a car if you can afford it, when you can afford it... but don't think it is impossible to live in South Florida without it.

REPEAT WITH ME... "IN AN EASY AND RELAXED MANNER, IN A HEALTHY AND A POSITIVE WAY... EVERYTHING I NEED IS NOW COMING TO ME... IN ITS OWN PERFECT TIME, FOR THE HIGHEST GOOD OF ALL"
I gave you reputation point because everything you said is absolutely true! I left Miami a few years ago and currently reside in Orlando and the Lynx bus system here is abysmal compared to Miami Dades transit system! Fortunately I have a car because to get anywhere in Orlando and to rely on LYNX is comparable to hell!
They don't have bus shelters and at best you may get is a broken down bus bench or at worst just a pole sign with the route number while you melt in the hot central Florida sun! The service is infrequent and some buses run on a hourly basis.
Mass transit in Miami is light years ahead of any metro in the state of Florida.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:02 AM

415 posts, read 649,794 times
Another article on the use of the FEC tracks:

Commuter rail line from Jupiter to downtown Miami gathers steam

Old 07-22-2010, 12:44 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Where would it go? Miami does not have a need for a subway. They do not even have money to support their schools!
Uh, Miami already has Metro. Where have you been?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
Another article on the use of the FEC tracks:

Commuter rail line from Jupiter to downtown Miami gathers steam
Would that be an extension of SunRail?

Old 07-22-2010, 03:03 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Can anyone tell me if this is an up-to-date map of the proposed Miami Metro expansions?

http://www.transitmiami.com/wp-conte...tromap2025.jpg

Old 07-22-2010, 05:05 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Thanks for the link... that's great news!

Until I got to this,

More waiting... *sigh*
These things take time. The train system in NYC wasn't built in a day. I look at Miami as a investment in a dream. It isn't what it should be yet but it has the potential. Lets how those in power capitalize on whats possible.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:14 PM

183 posts, read 567,700 times
Miami has one way to go: bigger and better. When things swing up out of the recession, big money will once again flow into the greater Miami area. Nothing will be left of the old Miami.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:25 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,281 times
^ Good point, seriously Miamians, don't give up. Who knows what will happen in the future, they could say nothing else is going to happen to the Metrorail right now, until they start seeing that might flowing back in.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:01 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,281 times
I never understood the point of this thread. The Metrorail is an elevated subway system.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:57 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times
I like elevated metrorails cuz u get to appreciate the city a lil more. ^____^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami