Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:26 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times

Advertisements

Bostonian thanks for your logical reply and having been a resident of the Miami area from the mid 1970s as a child to 2005 I was never shot, mugged, stabbed or robbed whatever crazy assumptions Mack is thinking.
Miami is a huge metro so crime will occur but just like any other large metro you need some street smarts. Mack and as for your assertion that blacks or hispanics will have a problem with you being white it is usually the other way around. As a hispanic I had to deal with absolute racism from many white "anglos" growing up from laughing at many Cubans by calling them rafters, trying to pass an English only amendment in Dade County to them feeling they were powerless politically and them labeling Miami as a "third world city". These white "anglos" fled Miami because they felt the Cubans took over and just as we have seen in many other cities "white flight" occured except this time it wasn't to avoid blacks but Cubans and other hispanics.
The ones who stayed are truly the tolerant ones trying to deal with such a crazy multi cultural mosaic that Miami has become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 04:33 PM

69 posts, read 259,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Bostonian thanks for your logical reply and having been a resident of the Miami area from the mid 1970s as a child to 2005 I was never shot, mugged, stabbed or robbed whatever crazy assumptions Mack is thinking.
Miami is a huge metro so crime will occur but just like any other large metro you need some street smarts. Mack and as for your assertion that blacks or hispanics will have a problem with you being white it is usually the other way around. As a hispanic I had to deal with absolute racism from many white "anglos" growing up from laughing at many Cubans by calling them rafters, trying to pass an English only amendment in Dade County to them feeling they were powerless politically and them labeling Miami as a "third world city". These white "anglos" fled Miami because they felt the Cubans took over and just as we have seen in many other cities "white flight" occured except this time it wasn't to avoid blacks but Cubans and other hispanics.
The ones who stayed are truly the tolerant ones trying to deal with such a crazy multi cultural mosaic that Miami has become.
The world's smallest violin is playing for you... I wish there was a way to track the lowering of standards over time, because I am sure Miami's standards have lowered significantly.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:48 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
blank I do not need your violin but if you read my post again I did include actual events that did occur in Miami including the huge billboard on I-95 in the early 80s telling us that the last American leaving Miami to please bring the flag with them.
By the way please define your "standards"?

Old 01-09-2009, 06:08 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Yes, Miami really is THAT bad.

I've lived here for 6 years and I've well and truly had enough. I'm tired of the reckless drivers, the horrible customer service, the discrimination for not speaking Spanish and the lack of stimulus in this god-forsaken swamp town, filled with probably the worst scumbags I've ever encountered in my life.

It's the people who ruin Miami, not the place itself. Miami should be a tropical paradise city for all walks of life and all ethnic groups to enjoy, but it's not -- it's a place that panders only to the friggin' Cubans who shouldn't be allowed to waltz into this country anymore, because most of them bring nothing but trouble, whether it's the corrupt politicians, the Medicare fraudsters, the murderous drivers or the general POS's who just have a generally nasty attitude.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 PM

69 posts, read 259,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
blank I do not need your violin but if you read my post again I did include actual events that did occur in Miami including the huge billboard on I-95 in the early 80s telling us that the last American leaving Miami to please bring the flag with them.
By the way please define your "standards"?
I remember what Miami was like 20 years ago, especially the neighborhoods. They were so much cleaner, there weren't abandoned shopping carts everywhere, there wasn't a Valsan or Sedano food stamp market on every corner, and even though South Beach was a dump, the 'average' areas of Miami (the neighborhoods) were a lot cleaner. The people who moved into the evacuated neighborhoods did not take care of them as well. The changes in Miami have stratified the living standard and eliminated what was once a thriving middle class. Nowadays, you have to live in Coral Gables to be considered 'middle class' or send your kids to a charter or private school for them to receive a decent education.

I would would have agreed with that sign if I had seen it. But the simple truth is that by the late 1970's, Jimmy Carter took it upon himself to make Miami a sacrificial lamb to the immigration movement. That is why in order to get elected here, politicians have to wrap themsleves around the immigration cause, and they always have to be immigrants themselves or have parents who were immigrants.

Last edited by blank check; 01-09-2009 at 07:16 PM..

Old 01-09-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blank check View Post
I remember what Miami was like 20 years ago, especially the neighborhoods. They were so much cleaner, there weren't abandoned shopping carts everywhere, there wasn't a Valsan or Sedano food stamp market on every corner, and even though South Beach was a dump, the 'average' areas of Miami (the neighborhoods) were a lot cleaner. The people who moved into the evacuated neighborhoods did not take care of them as well. The changes in Miami have stratified the living standard and eliminated what was once a thriving middle class. Nowadays, you have to live in Coral Gables to be considered 'middle class' or send your kids to a charter or private school for them to receive a decent education.

I would would have agreed with that sign if I had seen it. But the simple truth is that by the late 1970's, Jimmy Carter took it upon himself to make Miami a sacrificial lamb to the immigration movement. That is why in order to get elected here, politicians have to wrap themsleves around the immigration cause.
Carter was one of the worst US presidents in history -- he allowed the situation in Miami to get so much worse. At least Reagan sent in the DEA, etc and tried to fight back.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:34 PM

640 posts, read 1,823,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
At least Reagan sent in the DEA, etc and tried to fight back.
None of the presidents since Carter made a serious effort to do much of anything on the subject. It was politically expedient for them to just leave it alone. The pandering and groveling that pretty much all politicians did during the Elian Gonzalez controversy underlined it.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
None of the presidents since Carter made a serious effort to do much of anything on the subject. It was politically expedient for them to just leave it alone. The pandering and groveling that pretty much all politicians did during the Elian Gonzalez controversy underlined it.
The sad part is that many Cubans place their political beliefs on the Elian Gonzalez issue. They vote Republican, mainly for that reason. It's really sad that no one (Republican or Democrat) has taken the issue of illegal immigration seriously (and I consider the Cuban wave of immigrants just as "illegal" as the Mexicans who cross the border into California, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas).

Personally, I'd vote Republican if there were a Republican willing to stand up against what should be illegal, undocumented immigration. Perhaps Tancredo should be the next Governor of Florida?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:03 PM

640 posts, read 1,823,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
The sad part is that many Cubans place their political beliefs on the Elian Gonzalez issue. They vote Republican, mainly for that reason.
Actually, a lot of old-line Cubans vote Republican because they still remember the Bay of Pigs fiaso, and blame Kennedy, a Democrat. The Elian Gonzalez thing was a bit of a refresher for some who might have wavered.

> Perhaps Tancredo should be the next Governor of Florida?

Whatever my views might be on immigration (which I'm not against; I just think we should have a coherent and fair policy) Tancredo is definitely on my nut-job list.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
Actually, a lot of old-line Cubans vote Republican because they still remember the Bay of Pigs fiaso, and blame Kennedy, a Democrat. The Elian Gonzalez thing was a bit of a refresher for some who might have wavered.

> Perhaps Tancredo should be the next Governor of Florida?

Whatever my views might be on immigration (which I'm not against; I just think we should have a coherent and fair policy) Tancredo is definitely on my nut-job list.
Fair play -- not that I'm a fan of his, but I must admit, I partially agreed with his assessment of Miami.

For the record, I'm not against immigration either, but I am against the favoritism of the "wet foot, dry foot" policy and the undocumented, unvetted immigration that it brings to the United States (which is a major threat, IMO).

I actually wish that Miami were more diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami