Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 05:45 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Wild Style

A "Service economy" (Tourism, Finance, Real Estate, Health, Retail) and some light and Hi-Tech industry. What else do you want?
errr in case you have not noticed that doesn't work. Thats the economy that is dying right now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 06:26 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,694 times
Wild Style

That economy also died during the 70's, 80's, 90's and came up again.

I remember, for example, that many 1.000.000 dollar condos in Brickell were selling for 150.000 during the oil crisis of the 70's.

Prosperity is around the corner.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Wild Style

That economy also died during the 70's, 80's, 90's and came up again.

I remember, for example, that many 1.000.000 dollar condos in Brickell were selling for 150.000 during the oil crisis of the 70's.

Prosperity is around the corner.
Sigh,

In the 80s/90s those were recessions centered on savings and loans for example. In 2001 that was a recession centered on the tech bubble. What we are seeing now is a systemic break down of our financial and economic system. I have posted enough about these issues on these boards. I suggest you do some research about what is going on right now.

I will give you a push in the right direction, the rest is up to you.

Money as debt (
one
two
three
four
five)

The day the dollar fell

I.O.U.S.A
Salbuch Global Financial Collapse (
one
two)

Just so we are very clear, unless you are over 100 years old, or from Argentina, Russia (during its collapse) or Zimbabwe; you have NEVER witnessed what we are seeing now.

Miami is going to have to reinvent itself just as MANY places are going to need to do. If Miami plays its cards right it could be a power house in the South East. However if they continue along their lines of corruption and relying on F.I.R.E. economy industries to move forward then, well Miami may end up like Detroit.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:06 AM

578 posts, read 1,776,186 times
In 20 years Miami is likely to resemble Detroit if it continues on the path that it is taking. There is no way the economy can sustain it's self the way it is going. There are no real industries here other than import export. Tourism will never be a big draw like it was in the past. If Cuba were to embrace capitalism it is in the perfect spot to become the next Hong Kong in that it would become a huge trading hub so the Port of Miami would dry up. Hopefully it will return to as much of it's roots as possible. May be Homestead would reinvent it's farming community and become a Green Power farm for Wind Mills and Solar energy. That would be nice.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep111 View Post
In 20 years Miami is likely to resemble Detroit if it continues on the path that it is taking. There is no way the economy can sustain it's self the way it is going. There are no real industries here other than import export. Tourism will never be a big draw like it was in the past. If Cuba were to embrace capitalism it is in the perfect spot to become the next Hong Kong in that it would become a huge trading hub so the Port of Miami would dry up. Hopefully it will return to as much of it's roots as possible. May be Homestead would reinvent it's farming community and become a Green Power farm for Wind Mills and Solar energy. That would be nice.
wow now those are awesome ideas. Maybe homestead could invest heavily in hydroponic farming. You can do double the harvest on half the amount of land.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:40 AM

Man, you're a Catastrophist!

No way, no systemic breakdown at all.

Just because some crooks engineered an scheme to grant credits to people without credit ratings, just because Debt, Calificatory and Regulatory Agencies proved to be a bunch of asses, it doesn't mean that the system is not valid.

There's no other system.

No, there was a huge Real State collapse in Miami during the 70's, and then during the 80's -when Money Laundring was halted. Worser than now. Most of the City's income dried up in days.

There you go again, "no real industry". Service is "Industry".

Wind Mills are a flop, and Solar Energy is costly, and I'm talking from a leading country in such technologies (according to Obama..).

There's no return to roots, c'mon..

Cuba a Hong Kong, that's a funny one.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Man, you're a Catastrophist!

No way, no systemic breakdown at all.

Just because some crooks engineered an scheme to grant credits to people without credit ratings, just because Debt, Calificatory and Regulatory Agencies proved to be a bunch of asses, it doesn't mean that the system is not valid.

There's no other system.

No, there was a huge Real State collapse in Miami during the 70's, and then during the 80's -when Money Laundring was halted. Worser than now. Most of the City's income dried up in days.

There you go again, "no real industry". Service is "Industry".

Wind Mills are a flop, and Solar Energy is costly, and I'm talking from a leading country in such technologies (according to Obama..).

There's no return to roots, c'mon..

Cuba a Hong Kong, that's a funny one.
Oh

Old 04-29-2009, 12:22 PM

560 posts, read 2,075,914 times
I'm surprised people haven't be discussing the new form-based zoning code, which is going to have a huge impact on what Miami will be like in 10-20 years. Eventually, the economy will start growing again (barring the disaster scenarios that others have mentioned!) and Miami's built environment is going to be governed by a really unique set of documents for such a large city. For better or worse, Miami will look VERY different after the next round of real estate construction.

Also, regarding the Hispanic discussion from several pages back: As an anglo who married into a Cuban family, I find it very interesting, but probably moot. The original Cubans are dying off and their great-grandchildren are being born. They're becoming more American with every generation, and it's really stunning to watch from an "American's" perspective. The 80 year olds are 100% Cuban. They mostly speak Spanish and still figuratively have their bags packed, waiting to move back to Cuba. The 50 year olds speak accented (but fluent) English and still retain a strong Cuban culture mixed with American. The 25 year olds consider their primary culture to be American, and the Cuban stuff is just an extra layer. The new generation just being born is going to be even more so. A lot of them already don't even speak proper Spanish that well.

Now, with all the crap going on in Venezuela, I can certainly imagine another wave of refugees coming into Miami, that will take another 60 years to fully assimilate. But who knows ...

Old 04-29-2009, 03:41 PM

Joe

The problem with all those third generation Cubans is that if they don't preserve their language and culture, they will be in the same position than any of those creatures that were brutally stripped of their culture and that were brutally brainwashed into believing something they were not, I'm referring to "Anglos".

Miami needs fully fledged bilinguals or trilinguals capable of accepting new cultures, there's no use nowdays for brainwashed immigrants.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:35 PM

11 posts, read 26,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
errr in case you have not noticed that doesn't work. Thats the economy that is dying right now
I agree. You have to produce as much as you consume. The tourism bubble is bursting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami