Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:03 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,674,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Joe

The problem with all those third generation Cubans is that if they don't preserve their language and culture, they will be in the same position than any of those creatures that were brutally stripped of their culture and that were brutally brainwashed into believing something they were not, I'm referring to "Anglos".

Miami needs fully fledged bilinguals or trilinguals capable of accepting new cultures, there's no use nowdays for brainwashed immigrants.
I don't think it's fair to say that "Anglos" are brainwashed into believing something they are not.... honestly, most "Anglos" are what I would call "ethnic-neutral" and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Holding onto the language, traditions, and cultures of your ancestors is fine, but after every generation in this country, these things lose their influence - a natural effect. This country is built on immigrants of different languages, traditions, and cultures coming together to grow and prosper, and when you interact so much with people different than you and your family, a common identity and culture emerges - that of the contemporary United States. In an area with such a strong Latin culture like Miami, this process is less evident to many but no less real. Anyone who tells you that the American assimilation machine is malfunctioning in Miami is either out of touch with reality or doesn't spend much time with people under the age of 30 (my age group).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 08:23 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,967,302 times
most of south florida will be like port au prince, santo domingo and other 3rd world cities

Old 04-29-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
most of south florida will be like port au prince, santo domingo and other 3rd world cities
Why is that?

Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicondorenter View Post
I agree. You have to produce as much as you consume. The tourism bubble is bursting
well if you apply economies of scale to international trade, you should produce those things that you have economic advantage at producing locally and export the overage. In turn you should import those things which you do not have a economic advantage at producing locally. America's problems started in the 70s when it stopped producing anything meaningful and instead turned itself into a service based economy which relied on over consumption by main street to spur on a constant growth model all made possible via cheap and easy credit for joe six pack. The flaw in that thinking is, there will always be some point in time when debts exceed a persons ability to repay.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:07 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,434,806 times
Crisp

Cubans and their descendants should cling to their culture and language, even after centuries.
Just like Cubans in Tampa or Key West, they still speak Spanish, good Spanish and they've been there during more than a century.
In the case of Ibor City, 150 years.
If they lose their identity, they will be crushed.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 04-30-2009 at 04:09 AM..

Old 04-30-2009, 07:12 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,434,806 times
Crisp

You are a very cultured person, and I want to make you a question.

Do you think that all that "Southern Intransigency" against anything Spanish, white or not, or anything foreign, comes from their Baptist or Protestant religion and from the fact that their culture was "crushed" by other "Americans"?

Let me explain myself.

The most classy, aristocratic (real aristocracy, not the phonies we have in Europe), generous and cultured people I've ever met in Miami were Southern "WASCS" from North Carolina.

They came from a long lineage of Southern aristocrats that included Confederate Generals, but they came from Swiss German Catholics, and they were Catholics. They told me that they were spurned by their neighbours in NC and treated like dirt by Baptist heathens and fanatics.

They, of course, didn't have any issue with Cubans, Jews or whatever in Miami Beach (they owned a large house there), and they didn't have anything to do with any of the Southern low class crowd.

I also met in Georgia with old families, one of them was a descendant of the first Great Dragon of the KKK in the 19th Century, and they were extremely civilized people. They went to private schools and they even knew Latin, European history and were quite European. They were protestants, but not religious.

Could it be that all "Southern" crowd doesn't have anything to do with the Old South? (By the way, CSA was allied with Spain and many took refuge in Spanish territory, Cuba).

Is it possible that all that crowd are ignorant and defeated people driven by Baptist zealots, with no relationship whatsoever with the Ol' South?

Old 04-30-2009, 07:37 AM

560 posts, read 2,077,360 times
Quote:
those creatures that were brutally stripped of their culture and that were brutally brainwashed into believing something they were not, I'm referring to "Anglos".
Leo. You are a biggot. Pathetic.

Don't belittle my culture and who I am. That's over the line, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:40 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,611,459 times
All this lofty rhetoric about "blue blooded Americans" and their Historical relationship to Spain, Cuba, et al is nonsense. A lot has changed since 'gentlemen' ruled empires.

Stray, pregnant dogs and cats running around Little Havana, most of which is gang infested and dirty. This is supposedly the cultural epicenter of Latin culture in Miami. Same thing goes for the most heavily Hispanic areas of any major U.S. city - they are usually some of the poorest, the most gang infested, and the most dysfunctional/corrupt areas of any given city.

Hispanic culture and custom-especially in Miami-has been commandeered (big surprise!) by Latin America's long time ethnic majority - the 'Mestizo'. Along with this comes great dysfunction; see Hugo Chavez, Evo Morales, and a long line of dark skinned leftists who are using their race to gain support of the vast Mestizo populations in order to purge Latin America of its productive, white European class. Expect great numbers of their political and economic refugees to flood our shores in the next 10-20 years, along with equally high numbers of entreprenurial swindlers who will come here to further wreck our local economy.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:16 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
More reason why Miami MUST transform itself link relying on something as fickle as tourism is extremely short sided and could lead many families who pay their bills via employment in that industry into ruin. I have a LOT of hope in Miami. I think in the south it is one of if not the best cities. It could really compete with NYC on so many levels if it would just get its freaking act together.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
All this lofty rhetoric about "blue blooded Americans" and their Historical relationship to Spain, Cuba, et al is nonsense. A lot has changed since 'gentlemen' ruled empires.

Stray, pregnant dogs and cats running around Little Havana, most of which is gang infested and dirty. This is supposedly the cultural epicenter of Latin culture in Miami. Same thing goes for the most heavily Hispanic areas of any major U.S. city - they are usually some of the poorest, the most gang infested, and the most dysfunctional/corrupt areas of any given city.

Hispanic culture and custom-especially in Miami-has been commandeered (big surprise!) by Latin America's long time ethnic majority - the 'Mestizo'. Along with this comes great dysfunction; see Hugo Chavez, Evo Morales, and a long line of dark skinned leftists who are using their race to gain support of the vast Mestizo populations in order to purge Latin America of its productive, white European class. Expect great numbers of their political and economic refugees to flood our shores in the next 10-20 years, along with equally high numbers of entreprenurial swindlers who will come here to further wreck our local economy.
Little Havana is the cultural epicenter in a similar way that Little Italy in Manhattan and the Arthur Avenue area in the Bronx are cultural epicenters of the Italian population. They are full of "ethnic" businesses packed during dinner hours and on the weekends with people identifying with that ethnicity/culture but who live in the suburbs. Today, Arthur Avenue in the Bronx is Mexican, Puerto Rican, and Albanian... it seems like all of the Italian shopkeepers get in their cars and drive to Westchester or Jersey when they close up shop for the night. Calle Ocho is like that to a lesser extent. Around Christmastime, I was eating at Casa Panza (Spanish restaurant) during the monthly Viernes Culturales ("Cultural Fridays") event. There is live music there often (flamenco and sometimes salsa) and during one of the intermissions the performer asked the crowd if anyone was from the neighborhood, and if not, where they lived. The answers? Coral Gables, Kendall, Miami Lakes... you get the picture. The old-timers are all but gone from the area north of Calle Ocho in Little Havana. Their shops will remain there, as Calle Ocho is special to Cuban-Americans and tourists, but walk around after the stores close up shop for the night and you'll see that the old-timers have been replaced by new residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami