Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 03:11 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post

1 young, single person looking to start a career (career unspecificied for this example);
2 young married couple looking to raise a family;
3 middle-aged person (or couple) that may be able to transfer their job down to Miami;
4 older couple, retired.

For your answers indicate if you would change your suggestion based on if the person spoke Spanish or not or if a minimum level of income would be needed.
None of the above.

I would modify 1) to relatively young, single male already established with 5-10 years experience in international marketing, banking, or insurance, fluent in English and Spanish but not necessarily native in one or the other, earning in the neighborhood of $100,000 who then transfers to Miami, renting or owning a condo depending on time horizon and market conditions.

With the exception maybe of law, I do not believe that many start-up jobs in Miami pay enough to fulfill the aspirations of a young, single person.

I would not recommend trying to raise a family in Miami on an annual income of less than $150,000, perhaps even $200,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 07:26 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Scientifc

Yes, not the same place, 35 years ago the city was in far worser condition.
I was living there 35 years ago.
Oh, yes, worser than now.
Crime you say?
We had two or three homicides everyday, all around the city, the Grove, Kendall, everywhere.
Riots, the "hoods" were lethal places.
Have you heard about the "RIOTS"? Yes, the riots, not the "McDuddy-Dadda case" or some stupid name they use now to mask the past.
20 people killed.
Do you know what is like to be killed, quartered and having your eyes plucked out and your tongue cut just because you were driving through a certain sector of Miami?
Have you seen the city occupied by the Army lately?
Supply of funny money, oh yes, Miami was the "Laundrenette" of the World. Everyday millions and millions kept pouring into Miami banks.
The main source of income was "dirty" money.
No real jobs, Miami was not yet a Financial or Tourist Center.
South Miami Beach was a place packed with very old Jews, and the place stank of urine. The place was falling down. It was a Jewish gheto.
Deterioration in living standards?
You must be joking.
You are certainly new arrivals.
Miami completely sunk in 1980 and 1981. That was real deterioration.
So all those of you that dream of a long gone paradise, you are deceiving yourselves.
You should return to the places where you are from, because of one thing I'm sure.....
YOU WEREN'T LIVING IN MIAMI 35 YEARS AGO.
Forget about Miami, Miami is just like Paris.
In Paris you only find immigrants, rich people and tourists, you don't find rural or middle class monolingual French there now.
Pardon me, but you are FOS. I am from Miami have and lived here continuously for 57 years. The quality of life in Miami 35 years ago was far superior to what it is today.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:05 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times
Well, your subjective opinion.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:36 AM

552 posts, read 592,634 times
How old are you Leo?

Old 06-04-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
As is yours.....

Old 06-04-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
How many years have you lived (not visited) in Miami?

Old 06-04-2009, 11:12 AM

5 years and 2 in Boca.
I also have family living there since the 50's.
One in Coral Gables, he had something to do with Pan Am - Cubana de Aviación (he died recently), and the other in Key Byscaine.
My parents and my gradfather were a common fixture there, I still have stuff bought at Burdines.
I can't tell you about the 50's neither in Miami or Havana, since I was born in Spain in 1958.
I bet that the two places must have been marvelous during the 50's.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 06-04-2009 at 11:36 AM..

Old 06-04-2009, 12:02 PM

259 posts, read 840,682 times
The only person I would recommend Miami to is:

1. someone who speaks Spanish & English fluently (no matter what race)
2. someone single w/ minimal debt earning an income of at LEAST $80K (so that they can afford a house 3 times their income) This should be enough to keep them living in a decent area. Of course more $ for a family.
3. someone who already has family & friends living here
4. someone NOT from any of the other Southern states

And all these must be the same person.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
5 years and 2 in Boca.
I also have family living there since the 50's.
One in Coral Gables, he had something to do with Pan Am - Cubana de Aviación (he died recently), and the other in Key Byscaine.
My parents and my gradfather were a common fixture there, I still have stuff bought at Burdines.
I can't tell you about the 50's neither in Miami or Havana, since I was born in Spain in 1958.
I bet that the two places must have been marvelous during the 50's.
You have lived in S. Florida for a total of 7 years and you think you are an expert on the area???

Old 06-04-2009, 03:04 PM

I just told you that 35 years ago Miami was in a far worser condition than now.
The fact that you have been living there many years doesn't mean a thing.
You don't even speak the language of the land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami