Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 12:37 PM

160 posts, read 854,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proud cuban View Post
i wanna congratulae the people who came back congratulations i would never leave miami cause is a awesome city with a lot of education & smart cubans and new yorkers who imigrate here

You would never leave because your Cuban and Miami is closest to Cuban as you can get. Moderator cut: Hate Speech/Trolling.

BTW, I'm Cuban!

Last edited by doggiebus; 09-22-2009 at 01:36 PM..

Old 09-22-2009, 01:06 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by william1971 View Post
Cubans usually can't live anywhere else other than Miami. BTW, I'm Cuban!
A harsh comment, but I don't think you are wrong. We see a lot Cubans that come to this board asking about other places where other Cubans live. Not hispanics but Cubans . The only nationalities that are like that too are Puerto Ricans & Dominicans. The people from the islands.

I must say that I get along better with other hispanics that are not Cuban. I think it's a cultural thing and I don't quite understand their humor or their way of thinking... I have very good Cuban friends but I notice I can't have the same conversations I can have with people from Mexico, central and South America.

I seriously suggest that anybody that wants to move to Miami, to consider the possibility of not getting along with Cubans. It's not like what they promote on TV. Their culture can be hard to understand for some people. I know people who get along fine with them but I know many that don't.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolita305 View Post
A harsh comment, but I don't think you are wrong. We see a lot Cubans that come to this board asking about other places where other Cubans live. Not hispanics but Cubans . The only nationalities that are like that too are Puerto Ricans & Dominicans. The people from the islands.

I must say that I get along better with other hispanics that are not Cuban. I think it's a cultural thing and I don't quite understand their humor or their way of thinking... I have very good Cuban friends but I notice I can't have the same conversations I can have with people from Mexico, central and South America.
I'm of Cuban decent. My family on my Fathers side are from Cuba. There is definitely a certain mentality that comes along with being Cuban and unfortunately it's not positive. I wonder sometimes if it has anything to do with communism and the political struggle that Cuba has endured for so many years. Who knows, all I know is the race tends to be very difficult to deal with and is usually clicky in the way that they stick to their own kind. I can go own but I think this may be the calm before the storm....

Old 09-22-2009, 06:15 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,133,060 times
I am not Cuban, but I had a Cuban neighbor move next door (family) a couple of years ago, straight from the island. They are the nicest, non-stereotypical people you could imagine. The problem is, most people see how Cubans evolve and act after living here for decades, it is a dog eat dog city and the cubans of course embody this prevailing attitude which is so common in these parts. They really come in all colors, some are low class and trashy, others are really educated and wonderful people. We unfortunately see the stereotypical ones in the media a lot...but people should keep an open mind.

When we have an experience or incident with someone who "fits the mold" of a stereotype, we tend to remember it...but when we meet or encounter someone who doesn't act as we expect, it is easier to "forget" that kind of person...that is human nature.

Some Cubans are hard to get along with because of their attitude, but some Americans are too, as are people of every background. I think it is better to not generalize because there are all kinds out there. Cubans run the gammit like everyone else.

It is a little short sighted on some posters parts to not realize that although some Cubans may find it hard to live outside of Miami, many non-Cubans have a totally different experience when moving away. I think this projection of "my personal truths on to you" is what causes tension and arguments in general, so we should keep that in mind on city data too!

Old 09-22-2009, 06:29 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,668,829 times
Interesting topic. I live in NYC and have a couple of Cuban-American (from Miami) friends here. Most of my friends are not "Hispanic" and are from all over the place, including from NYC. I do find, when talking about getting along with other "Hispanic" people though, that I seem to get along better with people from either Miami, Spain, or Latin America as opposed to "Hispanics" that are raised in the United States outside of South Florida. Many of the latter have a "minority mindset" that to me is completely foreign. In the eyes of many of them, I may as well have come from a foreign country myself. Oh well... good thing I get along with a variety of people!

Old 09-23-2009, 05:07 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
I'm not making that up, it's happened more than once. I'm by no means a Miami hater like others here, but there WERE people surprised to meet a white guy born and raised there.

------

Problem is that you perceive yourself as white, but Cubans don't perceive you as white. In Miami, Cubans are the white people, the "Great Abos". They hold the whip, at least that's what they think.

Any American left in Miami not living in posh areas is perceived by Cubans as a failed individual, a drunk, a dumb person, trailer trash, etc, but even considering that, as an American you're still far more appreciated by Cubans than non-Cuban Hispanics arrived during the last 20 years. Those are the Gremlins.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 09-23-2009 at 06:30 AM..

Old 09-23-2009, 06:24 AM

3 posts, read 3,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post

Personally I am a tropical plant lover and I cannot live anywhere else and recreate what I have in my yard here. Hawaii is obviously waaaay too expensive and anywhere north of here means freezes, which would kill my tropical plants and prohibit me from planting tropical flowering and fruiting trees. So, I make the most out of it. I also am an interpreter and translator, so I have work here, whereas I wouldn't have as much in other cities. Unfortunately, my job is paid less here because of the large amount of already bilingual people. So it is a tradeoff, and that is why I haven't left. But just because that is my reality, it doesn't mean that other people who leave are making a mistake or will be back.
I got relatives up in Satellite Beach (barrier island Brevard County)growing bananna trees and coconut palms, same as my relatives in deep South Dade. Just sayin.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I am not Cuban, but I had a Cuban neighbor move next door (family) a couple of years ago, straight from the island. They are the nicest, non-stereotypical people you could imagine. The problem is, most people see how Cubans evolve and act after living here for decades, it is a dog eat dog city and the cubans of course embody this prevailing attitude which is so common in these parts. They really come in all colors, some are low class and trashy, others are really educated and wonderful people. We unfortunately see the stereotypical ones in the media a lot...but people should keep an open mind.

When we have an experience or incident with someone who "fits the mold" of a stereotype, we tend to remember it...but when we meet or encounter someone who doesn't act as we expect, it is easier to "forget" that kind of person...that is human nature.

Some Cubans are hard to get along with because of their attitude, but some Americans are too, as are people of every background. I think it is better to not generalize because there are all kinds out there. Cubans run the gammit like everyone else.

It is a little short sighted on some posters parts to not realize that although some Cubans may find it hard to live outside of Miami, many non-Cubans have a totally different experience when moving away. I think this projection of "my personal truths on to you" is what causes tension and arguments in general, so we should keep that in mind on city data too!

What a lot of BS Chelito! How do you think stereotypes are created, because the vast majority are easily distinguished as being similar. Sure there are exceptions to every rule (not every Cuban is the same) and everyone has their faults but I am part Cuban and have been around more than 1 Cuban in my life time (probably more than you) and can easily tell you that most are very similar in attitude. It's also this mentality that has ruined Miami for everyone. Once you wake up someday and are able to see these characteristics you'll realize what kind of a city you live in.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:31 AM

That is an example of your personal truth and your are trying to universalize it. My point is, you may have that belief and it is fine, but that you continue to believe it because the people that fit that mold are easy to remember and the people who don't are easily forgotten. That is proven human nature on any subject, not just this topic. I am sure you have probably even met Cuban people without even realizing they were Cuban because they didn't "act" the way you think they do.

Every cultural group has its traits and idiosyncracies, but you can't paint them all with the same brush. I also think you have isolated yourself to a certain segment of Cubans. I went to Southwest (Sotuhref) and Coral Park in the 90s, and there were the stereotypical balseros, then there was a quiet group of Cubans that were bascially nerdy, very smart and quiet, totally opposite to the stereotype. Then there were the Cuban Americans which once again ran the gamit. And those schools were both around 5,000 students each, with a majority of the students being Cuban.

Think of it this way, if a foreigner came to the US and went to New Orleans and lived there for many years, they would conclude that that's how most americans are (poor, black, tons of crime, etc) and that would be a skewed reality...and then when they went on to the next city, say Houston, they would see more of the same. However, if that foreigner went to Seattle originally instead of New Orleans, and then moved on to Houston, they would see a different "American," much more ethnically diverse, more educated and less crime. Even wehn arriving in Houston, they would percive what they brought to the table from Seattle and all the negative would be "the bad part of the city, that's everywhere." Both realities may exist, but neither is a universal...so it is inaccurate to project your personal experience onto the whole Cuban community.

I have personally mentioned aspects I strongly dislike about the Cuban American culture in prior posts, their distaste for trees, yards, indifference to community concerns that don't affect them directly....but even I recognize that not all Cubans or Cuban Americans are like that, that is the stereotype. You SEE that behavior because that is what you dislike and it sticks out. The behavior you like goes unnoticed because it doesn't call your attention. Just think, it makes perfect sense.

If you only hang out on the corner cafeteria and barber shop in Little Havana you will see the Cubans you complain about. But go to Coral Gables and you will see Cubans at Barnes and Nobles *gasp* reading, drinking coffe, walking the Miracle Mile, etc. Many Cubans own homes in the Gables, own companies, corporations...but those aren't the ones you notice.

I think you are the one who needs to be around a more diverse group of people. Being half Cuban doesn't exactly make you an expert or neutral to this topic. I am non-Cuban and am an interpreter and translator...so I see all kinds of people from the scammers to the victims to the hard working people. I have lived in South Florida my whole life, so trust me, I have been around PUH-LENTY of Cubans here, in Cuba and in Latin America.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariboojones View Post
I got relatives up in Satellite Beach (barrier island Brevard County)growing bananna trees and coconut palms, same as my relatives in deep South Dade. Just sayin.
Yeah, they are the zone pushers. They have had pretty warm winters over the past decade, but back in the 80s they lost all those same plants to severe freezes. There are actually royal palms and coconut palms sporadically planted in ORLANDO now! But I know the weather is cyclical, we can have 5 warm years and then BAM a cold winter with several freezes...and I suspect that will eventually happen...but in general, tropical (not subtropical) plants don't last long term or produce the way you would want them to in Central Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami