Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 03:39 PM

5 posts, read 47,241 times

Advertisements

thanks everyone for the input. it seems that many of the so called good schools are in and around coral gables. any schools in the brickell, miami beach, and key biscyne areas that are considered to be excellent schools? thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 03:45 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,503,827 times
Key Biscayne didn't have a high school when I lived there - and I don't think it does now (if MAST is still there on Virginia Key - well that's a pretty specialized school). I think the high school for Key Biscayne is Coral Gables High School. Don't think it's an especially convenient place to live for people with kids in high school. Robyn

Old 04-15-2010, 05:36 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,469,309 times
^^^I think it still is Coral Gables HS. MAST is probably the best school, but its a magnet school, kids have to apply and get excepted.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 4,634 times
I think another great school is Coral Reef HS. It is a magnet school as well. Kids have to apply and get accepted. They have academy programs there where the incoming students choose the program that they want to be in, i.e. Business, Legal, IB, Engineering, Medical, Visual & Performing Arts, etc. They take their normal high school classes plus classes in their academy.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:23 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,675,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Good clarification. Though fwiw, Palmetto (I'm a grad myself) also draws from not-so-nice West Perrine, though that's not a huge percentage of the population.
That's news to me. I had always assumed that Perrine west of US1 was zoned for Southridge.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:20 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,065,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
That's news to me. I had always assumed that Perrine west of US1 was zoned for Southridge.
Most of West Perrine is zoned for Southridge but there are parts West of US1 that are zoned to Palmetto. US1 is not the boundary. The African American population is almost 20%, it has been like that at least the since the 90's

School districts are very tricky, South Dade for example, it's not a bad school but many Naranja residents are zoned to that school.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:27 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,503,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Most of West Perrine is zoned for Southridge but there are parts West of US1 that are zoned to Palmetto. US1 is not the boundary. The African American population is almost 20%, it has been like that at least the since the 90's

School districts are very tricky, South Dade for example, it's not a bad school but many Naranja residents are zoned to that school.
Try "been like that" for 50-75+ years. The area you're pretty much talking about includes an area called Richmond Heights. And the reason that specific area is African-American is that - until the late 60's or 70's (and that's 1960's and 1970's - not 1860's and 1870's) - African Americans in Dade County could only live in areas that were zoned for African Americans (and usually not elsewhere). Richmond Heights was zoned for African Americans. At least when I lived in Miami - Richmond Heights was a lower middle to middle class neighborhood - certainly not a slum.

People in Dade County tend to act holier than thou vis-a-vis other parts of Florida when it comes to racism. But the simple fact of the matter is that all of Forida was and is a southern state - no better when it comes to racial matters than other states in the deep south. Robyn

Old 04-17-2010, 05:30 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,675,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Try "been like that" for 50-75+ years. The area you're pretty much talking about includes an area called Richmond Heights. And the reason that specific area is African-American is that - until the late 60's or 70's (and that's 1960's and 1970's - not 1860's and 1870's) - African Americans in Dade County could only live in areas that were zoned for African Americans (and usually not elsewhere). Richmond Heights was zoned for African Americans. At least when I lived in Miami - Richmond Heights was a lower middle to middle class neighborhood - certainly not a slum.

People in Dade County tend to act holier than thou vis-a-vis other parts of Florida when it comes to racism. But the simple fact of the matter is that all of Forida was and is a southern state - no better when it comes to racial matters than other states in the deep south. Robyn
Robyn:

Richmond Heights is zoned for Killian HS, I believe. That's the reason why Killian HS is 25% black; if it weren't for the Richmond Heights kids going there, it would be 2% black. You're probably familiar with the canal that divides the affluent Falls neighborhood to the north from Richmond Heights to the south. The change in demographics is just as distinct today as it ever was in the area. You are right, however, that Richmond Heights is not the ghetto; it's a lower middle class neighborhood. I would say that Palmetto Estates, directly to the south of Richmond Heights, is probably the nicest black area in the whole county - solidly middle class and most of the homes are very well-maintained. The difference between Palmetto Estates, and Richmond Heights, however, is that Palmetto Estates used to be a white neighborhood before the 1980's, and in that decade I believe it was a mixed area.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:15 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,943,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Robyn:

Richmond Heights is zoned for Killian HS, I believe. That's the reason why Killian HS is 25% black; if it weren't for the Richmond Heights kids going there, it would be 2% black. You're probably familiar with the canal that divides the affluent Falls neighborhood to the north from Richmond Heights to the south. The change in demographics is just as distinct today as it ever was in the area. You are right, however, that Richmond Heights is not the ghetto; it's a lower middle class neighborhood. I would say that Palmetto Estates, directly to the south of Richmond Heights, is probably the nicest black area in the whole county - solidly middle class and most of the homes are very well-maintained. The difference between Palmetto Estates, and Richmond Heights, however, is that Palmetto Estates used to be a white neighborhood before the 1980's, and in that decade I believe it was a mixed area.

Yep, Killian. Actually, we had a choice between Southridge and Killian. I was one of a handfull of white kids being bussed in to Killian from the Heights.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:14 AM

10 posts, read 41,888 times
Hi. We moved to miami about 8 months ago and decided to rent for a year, while we researched the various neighborhoods and and schools. What i found from the web and emailing parents at various schools is the following...
We rented in Miami Shores and while it is a great neighborhood, the schools are okay. In general, you will find that south miami, offers more options in terms of private schools.
We applied to 2 magnet, 1 charter, two private schools program for our 4 and 6 year olds. They did not get into any of the magnet or charter programs, were wait listed at a private school and accepted into another private.
In researching public schools, found that the most consistent ones in terms of academics and extracurriculars were Pinecrest Elementary and Palmetto Elementary. The boundaries for these schools are within Pinecrest. When looking into Sunset Elementary non-magnet program (did not get into magnet program), I was told by some parents whose kids were not in the magnet program, that their kids did not receive as much attention and resources as the magnet kids.
I know that everyone has different experiences and results, but i do think that because Pinecrest and Palmetto elementary are in more affluent neighborhoods, the PTA can raise more money to put back into the school.
I don't know much about public middle and high school, as we are planning on switching over to private schools, at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami