Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:11 AM

5 posts, read 47,203 times

Advertisements

thanks rosie and others. i think everyone got caught up a little in private schooling and/or racial matters etc...

bottom line: if everyone here lived in another state, and was moving back to miami, what area would you move into to get the absolute best public schooling for your kids (3 and 9 years old)? It seems that pinecrest and palmetto seem to be the highly regarded ones but the caveat appears to be that these may be highly regarded because of the affluence in the area more than actual merit....what area would you pick to live in if your priorities were in this order:

1) top public schooling
2) safe living environment
3) close access to amenities (parks, beaches etc)

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-18-2010 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 11:18 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
^^^To answer the question above, I would suggest Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay, South Miami, East Kendall have the best schools. The only schools better than these are magnet schools like MAST and Coral Reef High. There are other good schools but they are not the top schools in the county.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:22 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,668,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
^^^To answer the question above, I would suggest Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay, South Miami, East Kendall have the best schools. The only schools better than these are magnet schools like MAST and Coral Reef High. There are other good schools but they are not the top schools in the county.
This is a very good answer. Key Biscayne also has an excellent school on the island, and schools in Coral Gables are very well-regarded as well.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:44 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyFlo View Post
^^^To answer the question above, I would suggest Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay, South Miami, East Kendall have the top schools, close to the things you are looking for. The only schools better than these are magnet schools like MAST and Coral Reef High. There are other good schools but they are not the top schools in the county.

OP, what is your price range for a home?
Some editing went wrong here. I don't remember the original post but I think a price range will help a lot

150-300 Homes zoned for Killian, maybe South Dade too.
300+ the ones that have been suggested.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:58 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Unfortunately race is an issue that comes up whenever you discuss schools (not only in the south - but in many parts of the country). Sometimes you have to understand the history of an area to understand why things are the way they are today.

In any event - I think this is a somewhat useful website for looking at areas and schools:

Pinecrest Florida Real Estate and Homes for Sale | ZipRealty.com

FWIW - I noticed that Pinecrest Elementary didn't have internet access - which seemed kind of odd to me. Took a look at Gulliver (a private school I remember) - and that's not the case. I also noticed that the average cost of a house in Pinecrest was $879k as of 2008 (average is probably lower now). A parent could probably afford private schools by living in a less expensive area.

BTW - I don't have kids - but when I lived in Dade County - I always thought Pinecrest Elementary looked good because there were so many schools in Dade County that were awful. Robyn

Old 04-18-2010, 03:17 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,383,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyFlo View Post
thanks rosie and others. i think everyone got caught up a little in private schooling and/or racial matters etc...

bottom line: if everyone here lived in another state, and was moving back to miami, what area would you move into to get the absolute best public schooling for your kids (3 and 9 years old)? It seems that pinecrest and palmetto seem to be the highly regarded ones but the caveat appears to be that these may be highly regarded because of the affluence in the area more than actual merit....what area would you pick to live in if your priorities were in this order:

1) top public schooling
2) safe living environment
3) close access to amenities (parks, beaches etc)
As a couple of other posters alluded to, it's unfortunately not all mutually exclusive. Even so, the areas mentioned above are quite excellent in quality of education regardless of how affluent the surrounding neighborhoods are.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:51 AM

5 posts, read 47,203 times
thanks everyone.

are these areas also safe? i am coming from CT which is like pleasantville....everyone says hi to eachother and are very courteous, public schooling is the best in the country and crime is almost non existent.

this is why i'm trying to get as much info as i can before we start to do more research and visit the areas and schools. my daughter is at the top of her class though she's only in 2nd grade...the magnet schools also seem like a possibility. are these areas like pinecrest, palmetto, etc safe areas to live? i know that some areas in miami are safe but if you walk 2 blocks over, it's a gun show. thanks again for everyone's input...

Old 04-19-2010, 11:29 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
^^^If you are coming from CT, then you will most likely be disappointed with the public school system here for the most part. You may want to look at the private schools in the area.

These area are safe compared to other parts of Miami, you do have to be aware of your surroundings, its not pleasantville, by any means. There really aren't any bad areas close by, palmetto bay does have some rougher areas surrounding it. In Pinecrest people have left their garage doors open and robbers have walked right into their homes, so it does happen. You just have to be aware and don't leave anything outside in the yard (I have known people who have had yard art/ornaments stolen out their yard or front porch in these nice areas) or in your car that you can't replace. But if you are looking at a gated community then you will have less of an issue with crime.

As far as people being courteous, and saying hi. I wave and say hi to my neighbors when I see them, many drive into their garages and you don't see them to they pull out of their garage again. We walk the dogs around the neighborhood so we have had opportunities to meet some of the neighbors. We also have met a few of the neighbors when we started a Crime Watch group for our block (and I live in a nice area). Some of my neighbors who don't get out and walk around the neighborhood, do not know the other neighbors. So I think it depends on the individual and the kind of neighbors you have.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:46 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,252 times
Quote:
We also have met a few of the neighbors when we started a Crime Watch group for our block (and I live in a nice area). .
OMG I know a few people that attend that, and they didn't know each other. Small world indeed

Old 04-19-2010, 12:12 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,383,440 times
Quote:
^^^If you are coming from CT, then you will most likely be disappointed with the public school system here for the most part. You may want to look at the private schools in the area.

These area are safe compared to other parts of Miami, you do have to be aware of your surroundings, its not pleasantville, by any means. There really aren't any bad areas close by, palmetto bay does have some rougher areas surrounding it. In Pinecrest people have left their garage doors open and robbers have walked right into their homes, so it does happen. You just have to be aware and don't leave anything outside in the yard (I have known people who have had yard art/ornaments stolen out their yard or front porch in these nice areas) or in your car that you can't replace. But if you are looking at a gated community then you will have less of an issue with crime.

As far as people being courteous, and saying hi. I wave and say hi to my neighbors when I see them, many drive into their garages and you don't see them to they pull out of their garage again. We walk the dogs around the neighborhood so we have had opportunities to meet some of the neighbors. We also have met a few of the neighbors when we started a Crime Watch group for our block (and I live in a nice area). Some of my neighbors who don't get out and walk around the neighborhood, do not know the other neighbors. So I think it depends on the individual and the kind of neighbors you have.
I'd say this sums it up well. I'd say these areas are pretty safe, just take normal precautions like locking your house when you leave etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami