Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:50 AM

11 posts, read 21,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
What a bunch of BS!!! In countries where they don't eat processed food or tons of beef & other red meat, obesity is rare.
You are totally wrong.

It has long been known that heredity affects health. Heritability studies, which seek to determine the proportion of variance of a particular trait that is attributable to genetic factors and the proportion that is attributable to environmental factors, indicate that genetic factors may account for as much as 75% of the variability in human body weight and approximately one-third of the variation in the overall body mass index (BMI; body weight in kilograms divided by the height in meters squared). Genetic factors affect the variations in resting metabolic rate, body fat distribution, and weight gain related to overfeeding, which explains in part why some individuals are more susceptible than others are to weight gain or weight loss.

It has long been known that heredity affects health. Heritability studies, which seek to determine the proportion of variance of a particular trait that is attributable to genetic factors and the proportion that is attributable to environmental factors, indicate that genetic factors may account for as much as 75% of the variability in human body weight and approximately one-third of the variation in the overall body mass index (BMI; body weight in kilograms divided by the height in meters squared). Genetic factors affect the variations in resting metabolic rate, body fat distribution, and weight gain related to overfeeding, which explains in part why some individuals are more susceptible than others are to weight gain or weight loss.

Read more: Weight and Physical Health - The Genetics Of Body Weight And Obesity - Genes, Environmental, Leptin, Factors, Obese, and Single http://www.libraryindex.com/pages/27...#ixzz10wE0PtAE[/url]

Old 09-29-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Actually, more fault lies with our so-called food industry and people who don't want to change their bad habits. Good health care starts with eating REAL food.

This short, easy to read book is a good primer on what real food is:

Amazon.com: Food Rules: An Eater's Manual (9780143116387): Michael Pollan: Gateway

I like how the author says if your grandmother or great grandmother wouldn't recognize it as food, then don't eat it.
The fault lies with double-digit rate hikes because in this country, health is a for-profit enterprise. It should not be.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:12 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,983,189 times
I love how people blame everything and everyone except themselves. Welcome to America, the land where no one is accountable.

To be clear I'm talking obese, not overweight, and it's pandemic as are the side effects including diabetes and heart disease. This in turn puts a terrible strain on the health care system and our pocketbooks.

What it comes down to is that no health treatment will be effective without the personal desire to do something about it and assume responsibility.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
I love how people blame everything and everyone except themselves. Welcome to America, the land where no one is accountable.

To be clear I'm talking obese, not overweight, and it's pandemic as are the side effects including diabetes and heart disease. This in turn puts a terrible strain on the health care system and our pocketbooks.

What it comes down to is that no health treatment will be effective without the personal desire to do something about it and assume responsibility.
To be sure, some people live an unhealthy lifestyle. Nobody is saying this isn't the case.

Even surer, there are people who through no fault of their own, are obese. As posted, genetics weighs heavily (pun intended).

Not sure where "accountability" fits in with the second group. This isn't blame. This is scientific fact. Welcome to America, where any scientific fact can be drowned out by noisy rhetoric.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRatMole View Post
Not sure where "accountability" fits in with the second group. This isn't blame. This is scientific fact. Welcome to America, where any scientific fact can be drowned out by noisy rhetoric.
Yes, genetics play a minor role but the overwhelming cause as stated is ...

'The two main factors that can cause obesity are a diet high in fat and a lack of exercise.' (One of the first hits, of thousands, on google).

Obesity and Diabetes

Old 09-29-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Yes, genetics play a minor role but the overwhelming cause as stated is ...

'The two main factors that can cause obesity are a diet high in fat and a lack of exercise.' (One of the first hits, of thousands, on google).

Obesity and Diabetes
I posted a link that said "...indicate that genetic factors may account for as much as 75% of the variability in human body weight..."

All you have for proof is your say-so.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRatMole View Post
I posted a link that said "...indicate that genetic factors may account for as much as 75% of the variability in human body weight..."

All you have for proof is your say-so.
Nope, I posted one of just thousands

Nevertheless, ask yourself this question ... what can genetics tell us as to the reason the average American is 20 lbs heavier than 1980?

A fat gene which after all of our evolution has suddenly gone rogue in the last 30 years? I have ocean property in Arizona too.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:13 PM

528 posts, read 885,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
What about the loser guys who impregnate these women and then move on to the next bimbo, leaving them to fend for themselves and their children alone? Don't they deserve mention here too, or are they excused for being absentee/deadbeat dads because the woman was fat?

Just FYI, I have been to 29 of the contiguous 48 states, and I have seen these kind of people in every one of them. Maybe it's because we travel on a budget and stop into places like grocery stores and Walmarts, but whatever...this is certainly not a problem that is limited to northern Michigan. Compare anyone anywhere to the rich, pretentious, materialistic, humanistic folks on Long Island, and most of us wouldn't stack up in terms of appearance...and who really cares if we don't? Comparing women in the Walmarts of northern Michigan to the women in Long Island is comparable to comparing the women in some small, off the beaten path town in California to the women in Beverly Hills.

Oh, and I know of at least one obese person who lives in Long Island and happens to be rolling in money: Ina Garten, anyone? Would she pass your litmus test, or would you find her repulsive too?

I have to say, Ina Garten has to be one of the best looking overweight women I've ever seen.

I grew up in big cities. I'm so tired of the "we're too busy to bother ourselves".... I like neighbors that act like neighbors. We're all in this together.

I've said before, some folks like the big cities. Good for them. I'll take rural America any day over "conveniences". And I find our hard working farm women after a hard day of work to be more naturally beautiful, at any weight, than those starved, unhealthy, prematurely dead, or walking dead, pasty skeletons that pass for fashion models. Yeesh. If that's the beauty ideal I'm supposed to strive for, no thanks.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:43 PM

528 posts, read 885,954 times
Quote:
It affects us all through our taxes that pay for Medicare/Medicaid as well as our health insurance premiums.

Newsflash: America has, by far, the world's highest health care costs per capita. Obesity is a major cause of such high costs.
What is the cause of the obesity?

Old 09-29-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Nope, I posted one of just thousands

Nevertheless, ask yourself this question ... what can genetics tell us as to the reason the average American is 20 lbs heavier than 1980?
People are also taller. Twinkies and Pringles are to blame for that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan