Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 05:59 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I don't go to Walmart to check out women, but in northern Michigan where else can you go?
Oh lordy, I think you have issues at times, but if you were hanging out at any Wal-Mart to check out the women, you would have to be admitted to a mental ward someplace. I think I just threw up a little thinking about it.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:02 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Oh lordy, I think you have issues at times, but if you were hanging out at any Wal-Mart to check out the women, you would have to be admitted to a mental ward someplace. I think I just threw up a little thinking about it.

I said I don't go to Walmart to check out women When I was in Gaylord I used the internet for that.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:32 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I said I don't go to Walmart to check out women When I was in Gaylord I used the internet for that.
LOL, I know you didn't, you already posted that. I was just saying that if you DID go there to check them out you would need some SERIOUS help.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:31 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
A sure sign of the end of the World. I'm going to totally agree with scolls for the second time in less than a week.

It isn't only at the Gaylord Wal-Mart, but every single one I've ever been in. There is a whole website devoted to the "fashion" that can be found at Wal-Mart stores across the Country.

All walmarts seem to be that way. Ive seen some real trailer park queens in the Owosso walmart, as well as the Saginaw store. The website you talk about is called The People of Walmart. It is hillarious, the things you see people wear and do in a walmart is shocking.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:55 PM

528 posts, read 885,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I should have clarified better. Those w/overactive thyroids, different health issues, they cannot help their weight issues. I just happen to think that taking pride in the way you look is healthy. To not care is being lazy. Also, the ideology that "I live in the country in the middle of nowhere so how I look is irrelevant" is an excuse.
The point I've tried to make is there is no way for you to know which person is which, and it's none of your business anyway. I recall something about toothpicks and planks....

Old 10-02-2010, 12:01 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
It is pretty abysmal in Michigan!

Funny about 'Wal-Mart'. Everything is so car-oriented throughout most of MI...it's either there or the McDonalds...but half of the people choose the drive-thru.

When you have that many people driving around attached to their seats....it certainly adds to the obesity and no interest in dressing up aspects! Also the fact that most people shop at Wal-Marts for ALL of their clothing....or Target (same thing).

If people want to see attractive women in Michigan, I highly recommend the northern suburbs of Detroit where you'll see more arabic and other non-native women. They dress amazing and really know how to take care of themselves.

But most of MI is that old stonewashed jeans and dirty baseball hat...so for those guys, the girls that are in Michigan, make pretty good fits. Neither are all that healthy either - most of the food choices are chain restaurants and fast-food restaurants, and not much else.

I think it works just fine for people who are from MI and living in MI. But, yeah, quite a shock if a person comes from another country or from the West Coast, Northeast, or Southern Florida.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I'm sorry, but this really is not true at all.

If we are only talking about weight and not health, you can pretty much eat whatever you want. As long as you consume less calories than you burn in a day, you will lose bodyfat and weight. Period. The end.

If you burn 2000 calories in a day, and your three meals for the day are a double cheesburger from McDonalds for each meal @ 600 calories each, you will lose weight. Because 2000-1800= a 200 calorie deficit. It really is that simple. Again, we are talking about weight and not health. They are two different things.

This is why the obesity debate is so frustrating for me. People waste so much time and money trying to figure out how to lose weight by eating the perfect diet, and they overcomplicate things so much that they just give up and stop trying. Losing weight is very simple. Eat less and move more. If you can't move more, eat even less.

This is a good example of what I'm talking about:

The Twinkie Diet: Eat Junk Food and Lose Weight?
Unfortunately eating fewer calories than you burn in a day does not guarantee weight loss. The human body has an amazing ability to adapt on the fly to reduced caloric intake. What it has a harder time recovering from is malnutrition. Not in the low calories sense, but the low nutrient intake sense.

I can point to a multitude of diseases where eating MORE is the key to weight loss. Mine is only one.

Fad diets are as useless as stressing about calories. Your body needs nutrients. until you're getting as many of them as you can from food, the whole weight loss battle is doomed to fail.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
All walmarts seem to be that way. Ive seen some real trailer park queens in the Owosso walmart, as well as the Saginaw store. The website you talk about is called The People of Walmart. It is hillarious, the things you see people wear and do in a walmart is shocking.
My favorite was the elderly gentleman who appeared to be missing teeth, wearing a lurid purple shirt open to the waist, a beard, ample white chest hair, and breast implants.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:53 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
To go out not caring how you look can stem from several reasons not just being lazy. They may be ignorant of others social norms. For some its a choice. Not lazy, not ignorant, just really don't care. They aren't hurting anyone, their peragotive. If it offends someone, oh well, that person probably does things or has opinions that offend others too. Of course laziness and not having any sense of shame (geez whatever happened to shame?) is not a good thing, but not always the culprit here.

As for obesity and the 'they are going to cost us more medically'. Good lord. What about all the injuries from playing sports? Kids with wrecked knees and broken collar bones. What about all the torn rotator cuffs from playing golf? Bad knees from running? People getting hit by cars on bicycles or jogging? Motorcycle accidents tend to be physically devasting when they happen. Boater Dad drowns and his 8 kids end up on social security drawing way more than he paid in.
Those are choices. Choices that have consequences that cost.
How bout them? You can't just pick on fat people.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:26 AM

970 posts, read 2,968,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
My favorite was the elderly gentleman who appeared to be missing teeth, wearing a lurid purple shirt open to the waist, a beard, ample white chest hair, and breast implants.

Whoever decided to take my picture and put it on there, is beyond me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan