Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 02:46 PM

11 posts, read 21,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
What is the cause of the obesity?
Gravity.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:54 PM

528 posts, read 885,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
What a bunch of BS!!! In countries where they don't eat processed food or tons of beef & other red meat, obesity is rare.
Not exactly true, and psssst:

lipomadoc.org

Old 09-29-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
I love how people blame everything and everyone except themselves. Welcome to America, the land where no one is accountable.

To be clear I'm talking obese, not overweight, and it's pandemic as are the side effects including diabetes and heart disease. This in turn puts a terrible strain on the health care system and our pocketbooks.

What it comes down to is that no health treatment will be effective without the personal desire to do something about it and assume responsibility.
If we spent any money at all researching the causes of obesity or fat disorders, I would agree.

The assumption has been people are fat because they eat too much and are lazy. There are more diseases than I can count that make people appear obese. We spend less researching them every decade (the whole lot of them) than we spend researching the thickness of ketchup.

We spend a fortune researching ways to get people to lose weight. Why? Because every medical fad du jour has failed. Why? Because we're arrogant enough to think we know why people are fat without ever spending one second educating ourselves as to the cause, let alone the real solution.

I'm lucky I'm bull headed enough to have told the doctors to pound sand, and spent time experimenting to figure out what worked for my body. I learned a lot in the process. But it cost me a fortune, it cost me a lot in time and family time and quality of life. The delay in diagnosis and treatment led to my dealing with cancer at the age of 35. But I'm better, I'm on the right road, no thanks to modern medicine. All thanks to one rogue doctor, and one rogue patient.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, genetics play a minor role but the overwhelming cause as stated is ...

'The two main factors that can cause obesity are a diet high in fat and a lack of exercise.' (One of the first hits, of thousands, on google).

Obesity and Diabetes
If we had any studies into the causes of obesity, or any of the known fat disorders (let alone those that are unknown) I'd be more likely to believe that.

Unfortunately lots of folks with my disease were told we ate too much and moved too little. It was BS. Most of us waited decades for a diagnosis because of the bias we faced from doctors. Eat less, move more, you'll be fine. Oh, you're not fine? You must be a liar....

Old 09-29-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Nope, I posted one of just thousands

Nevertheless, ask yourself this question ... what can genetics tell us as to the reason the average American is 20 lbs heavier than 1980?

A fat gene which after all of our evolution has suddenly gone rogue in the last 30 years? I have ocean property in Arizona too.
In the case of the disease I have, it was a multitude of factors that all came into play. Some of which are directly related to the way we live life that we didn't 30 years ago, some directly related to the refined carbs that were the basis of the food pyramid, some directly related to junk science that made people fear whole foods and healthy fats, partly related to the prominence of what I call franken-foods, some of which are heavily promoted by doctors.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:30 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times
I love how fat people are to blame for high health cost. I don't think it could possibly be the insurance companies and there billions of dollars in profits.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I love how fat people are to blame for high health cost. I don't think it could possibly be the insurance companies and there billions of dollars in profits.
LOL... I can't be agreeing with Scolls, can I?

How can we spend 2 times any other nation, and have the unhealthiest people of any industrialized (and many non-industrialized) nations?

Old 09-29-2010, 05:13 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,863,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I've only been able to agree with you on a few things, and this is one of them. You are 100% correct.

Quote:
I know, weird isn't it.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:17 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,902,635 times
Quote:

How can we spend 2 times any other nation, and have the unhealthiest people of any industrialized (and many non-industrialized) nations?
Once in a while scolls says something worthwhile...once in a GREAT while.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:03 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,922 times
But in this case (strange, I know) he's right on the money.
A chief cause of obesity is simply consuming lots and lots of what's available...highly processed food. This doesn't mean the eater isn't responsible for his or her actions and choices, just that the easiest choices are usually the worst, courtesy of the American fast food industry.
Don't believe me? Just look at the calorie counts of their biggest selling items.
On top of that, the low income segment of America has grown, and low-income diets are characterized by high calorie cheap choices. Think Kraft Mac n Cheese, lots of beans, rice, potatos and other cheap eats.
I don't think this is thrust on anyone...it's choices made.....but the fact is that whatever is easy and convenient is what will be chosen.
All that being said...Peter's main point is total BS. Women don't pretty themselves up enough for you when they go shopping and that offends you ? Come on, man.....

Fast Food Calories

The Fast Food Calorie Counter
To Your Health: the psychology of fast food eating - Springfield Press - Delco News Network
Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan