Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 03:38 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times

Advertisements

Yeah. But have you seen the MEN!!!!!

I have serious Yooper fantasies....

A lot of those Michigan men are fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:12 PM

970 posts, read 2,968,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I am sick and tired of seeing 300lb women in washed out stretch pants using their bridge cards to buy soda & potato chips. On Long Island, women went out of their way to take care of themselves and at least look presentable. Up here, most women could not care less about how they look and will go shopping wearing dirty clothes sans makeup. Slobs seem to be the majority. However, there is a VERY small minority who actually look in a mirror and care before they leave their homes
Troll.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:13 PM

970 posts, read 2,968,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
A lot of those Michigan men are fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.
Oh, why thank you! lol

Old 09-30-2010, 08:33 PM

528 posts, read 885,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
But in this case (strange, I know) he's right on the money.
A chief cause of obesity is simply consuming lots and lots of what's available...highly processed food. This doesn't mean the eater isn't responsible for his or her actions and choices, just that the easiest choices are usually the worst, courtesy of the American fast food industry.
Don't believe me? Just look at the calorie counts of their biggest selling items.
On top of that, the low income segment of America has grown, and low-income diets are characterized by high calorie cheap choices. Think Kraft Mac n Cheese, lots of beans, rice, potatos and other cheap eats.
I don't think this is thrust on anyone...it's choices made.....but the fact is that whatever is easy and convenient is what will be chosen.
All that being said...Peter's main point is total BS. Women don't pretty themselves up enough for you when they go shopping and that offends you ? Come on, man.....

Fast Food Calories

The Fast Food Calorie Counter
To Your Health: the psychology of fast food eating - Springfield Press - Delco News Network
Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com

Calorie intake is meaningless. It's the quality of calories, the sedentary modern lifestyle of Americans, the malnutrition of the American diet, and our insistence on thinking we can create better foods than (God, nature, evolution, whatever).

Fanatic Cook: Caloric Intake, Relatively

Old 09-30-2010, 08:55 PM

528 posts, read 885,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
IMO, it's the notion that people must have 3 meals a day, breakfast,lunch and dinner. This nonsense begins at a very early age, pretty much upon entering kindergarten. Back in the day when I was in elementery school there was no such thing as breakfast served at school, then some experts came along and said if you don't eat breakfast it affects your ability to learn.

I've always lived by the credo....eat when your hungry, not because it's 7Am, 12 noon, 6pm. I'll often go all day with eating nothing and then eat a big dinner and a small snack before bed and have never had weight problem in my life. Most people I have ever come across in life that are obese don't skip a meal, it's like clockwork, they have to have 3 meals a day.

All we are as humans are advanced animals and you don't see animals eating 3 meals a day. Lions, hyenas, birds of prey, marine life, reptiles, etc. go days or even weeks w/o food and they're surviving and physically fit. You think early man, the cro magnons ate 3 meals a day? hell no, one bad throw of the spear and no dinner for them that night, it didn't kill them.
There are a multitude of studies that point to meal skipping being linked to obesity.

I'll start with two...

Association between Eating Patterns and Obesity in a Free-living US Adult Population — Am J Epidemiol

Importance of Healthy Breakfast: Why Skipping Is Harmful

Personally, I'm not sure there is a one-size answer, but there is certainly a lot of data to support the idea that regular meals lead to better health. Whether three squares a day, or one large, I can't say, though I can say the one large meal a day has it's risks. It's difficult in 3 meals a day to regularly meet nutritional targets, and it causes more dramatic spikes in blood sugar and insulin levels, which leads to higher inflammation (which may well be the cause of the obesity link).

Everyone has to find their own way, but I find the connection to poverty and obesity troubling. Kids in poverty end up with cheap calories at school, because the schools can't afford to buy good food either, and cheap food at home. Or they don't eat at all, which is another risk factor for obesity.

Very troubling.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:45 AM

57 posts, read 206,894 times
Um I find this thread both offensive and immature. Why be so immature, looks are not everything. I prefer people who are kind and tolerant and interesting yet don't look the best, to boring hickish conformists who dress well and are thin. Some of the most beautiful unique deep and passonate souls don't look the best. I hope you can get past your superficiality and learn to love and accept people for who they are.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:54 AM

14,108 posts, read 2,774,068 times
Quote:
I am sick and tired of seeing 300lb women in washed out stretch pants using their bridge cards to buy soda & potato chips. On Long Island, women went out of their way to take care of themselves and at least look presentable. Up here, most women could not care less about how they look and will go shopping wearing dirty clothes sans makeup. Slobs seem to be the majority. However, there is a VERY small minority who actually look in a mirror and care before they leave their homes

I will inform everyone that we are now living in Michigan to impress you! LOL!

Old 10-01-2010, 05:59 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:
Hey, you forgot to tell us what you look like! I bet you're totally buff and totally hot, right? Oh, and dressed in all the latest fashions. And since you apparently frequent stores that sell food, I can assume that you get dressed to the nines and make sure that you look perfect every time you run out to pick up a gallon of milk, right?

Old 10-01-2010, 07:25 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigonation View Post
um i find this thread both offensive and immature. Why be so immature, looks are not everything. I prefer people who are kind and tolerant and interesting yet don't look the best, to boring hickish conformists who dress well and are thin. Some of the most beautiful unique deep and passonate souls don't look the best. I hope you can get past your superficiality and learn to love and accept people for who they are.
amen!!

Old 10-01-2010, 07:32 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
Calorie intake is meaningless. It's the quality of calories, the sedentary modern lifestyle of Americans, the malnutrition of the American diet, and our insistence on thinking we can create better foods than (God, nature, evolution, whatever).

Fanatic Cook: Caloric Intake, Relatively
I'm sorry, but this really is not true at all.

If we are only talking about weight and not health, you can pretty much eat whatever you want. As long as you consume less calories than you burn in a day, you will lose bodyfat and weight. Period. The end.

If you burn 2000 calories in a day, and your three meals for the day are a double cheesburger from McDonalds for each meal @ 600 calories each, you will lose weight. Because 2000-1800= a 200 calorie deficit. It really is that simple. Again, we are talking about weight and not health. They are two different things.

This is why the obesity debate is so frustrating for me. People waste so much time and money trying to figure out how to lose weight by eating the perfect diet, and they overcomplicate things so much that they just give up and stop trying. Losing weight is very simple. Eat less and move more. If you can't move more, eat even less.

This is a good example of what I'm talking about:

The Twinkie Diet: Eat Junk Food and Lose Weight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan