Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 07:38 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,642,406 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like those who are concerned about fat people costing the system don't want the US to have any type of Universal Health Care and didn't want any of the changes that were implimented either. Injuries from sports is a good argument. No one says oh those people playing sports are costing us so much. Picking on the overweight seems a way to justify the mentality that if you don't have health care it's automatically your fault and you deserve whatever illness you get. I'm not personally greatly overweight. I could stand to lose a few pounds, but I jog, walk, don't drink or smoke. I don't ever eat fast food, and I mean NEVER! I'm a good cook living in a big local farming area so I make all my dishes from scratch. In spite of this I developed high blood pressue and must take three meds, and this is genetic because my mom has had high blood pressure all her adult life. She never drank, smoked, or ate crappy foods either. Other than this I guess I must be doing something wrong in that I go to the store to tend to my own shopping. I can't recall ever standing around thinking person X, Y and Z looks too fat or too ugly to have gone out of the house. I personally try to look decent when I go out and comb my hair and put on some lipstick. However, we aren't high society here in Northern Michigan so no I'm not dressed to the nines when I go for groceries.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:39 AM

336 posts, read 908,546 times
Personally, I wear what's clean, comfortable, and if called for, situation appropriate. I don't give a damn what anyone else may think; I'm not trying to impress anyone.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:33 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Pizza

Old 10-02-2010, 08:53 PM

970 posts, read 2,969,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Pizza

...and Chili Cheese Fries.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:35 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,834 times
What a bright future for liposuction & heart disease!

Old 10-03-2010, 10:58 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but the People of Walmart is pretty funny:

Funny Pictures at WalMart

Old 10-03-2010, 07:41 PM

850 posts, read 1,899,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Keep in mind, most folks are OK w/out makeup but there are others who have no business leaving home w/out it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I should have clarified better. Those w/overactive thyroids, different health issues, they cannot help their weight issues. I just happen to think that taking pride in the way you look is healthy. To not care is being lazy. Also, the ideology that "I live in the country in the middle of nowhere so how I look is irrelevant" is an excuse.
this is the mindset of someone who watches too much tv.

it always amazes me when people accidentally say ridiculous things as if its normal, having no idea that what they are saying is dysfunctional. sometimes you see these people...speaking....and you're like, 'wow, that person needs to stop talking'. but they keep going, letting the world know that their brain has not evolved past the primate stages. that's cool though, because monkeys are really funny.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:03 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,881,339 times
This is completely asinine. I live on the East Coast (in one of those 'elite' suburbs of Washington, DC, in Northern Virginia) and find the women to be far less physically attractive (less fit, not as well-dressed, etc.), generally speaking, than the women in similarly affluent suburbs of Chicago, Kansas City, and even (yes, as counterintuitive as it sounds, I'm absolutely serious) Omaha, NE. I've never been to Michigan - NE or elsewhere in that state. Tiger Beer, I've been reading your posts in the NoVA section. If you're expecting a land of thin, well-dressed, attractive intellectuals with large vocabularies, well, I'm afraid you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Oh, and our restaurants are crap. The Mid-Atlantic (particularly the suburban areas, which tend to attract fewer transplants from other parts of the country) does not like salads. Strombolis, prime rib, 1960s-era Italian food, pastrami on rye, and, yeah, chili cheese fries are big here. Far, far, far, far, far, far (get the picture? ) fewer funky little bakery-cafe-bistros (with creative salads, soups, and sandwiches) like you'll find in the more upscale suburban areas of Midwestern (and Western) cities. "Um, like, we don't do that heeya. What do ya want on ya cheesesteak? The regula peppas and onions?"

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 10-03-2010 at 08:23 PM..

Old 10-04-2010, 12:32 AM

528 posts, read 885,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Whoever decided to take my picture and put it on there, is beyond me!
Remisc just earned an invite to the first annual idw2s C-D MI picnic (put that on a sign and watch the puzzled expressions!).

Only if he's wearing the purple shirt. Perhaps a few more buttons, for the sake of the kiddos.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:39 AM

217 posts, read 591,664 times
Saw many "people of walmart" yesterday. I personally do not understand why people do not take some pride in themselves. If you are going out shopping, for Gods sake, at least brush your hair and get out of your p.j.'s!! That is the laziest thing I have ever seen! I just wanna smack people!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan