Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times

Advertisements

For me, the ocean is nice, but can be overwhelming and angry-ish. The Great Lakes are much more soothing and calming. Even the air is more soothing...no salt. I know that they do get their waves and can get pretty rough, but I think in general, they are just more soothing.

Bydand, that it awesome about your son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 PM

760 posts, read 2,441,425 times
Bydand - I feel the same way about Lake Superior and the Wilderness up here. I don't like them..... I need them.

When we moved away to be closer to family (downstate) for 11 months in 2009/2010 it was pure heck for me. Not because we don't like the family down there but even tho we lived 30 miles out into the boondocks, I had a constant feeling of claustrophobia. I could feel humanity pressing in all around me from the higher population density. I (and my kids) got sick more in those months then we ever have before too. Since moving back up here in September, none of us have been sick once (we lived in two different houses in that short stay so it can't be blamed on a house/mold either).

So while I freely admit that I may be a bit crazy, this is where my spirit can relax and be free

There is nothing more calming and relaxing then either going for a hike where few humans have been in years, or finding some private little cove to sit and just "be" while staring out over the mighty Lake Superior and feeling it's calming influence wash over you.

I was just reading earlier tonight about negative ions (google that term if my link doesn't work). I don't know yet how much is fact vs. myth vs. yet to be quantified...... but it's been interesting reading for the last hour and may explain in part my draw to the place (my other hobby is visiting/photographing remote waterfalls).
Negative Ions

Last edited by jeeg; 03-30-2011 at 11:12 PM..

Old 03-31-2011, 01:51 AM

6 posts, read 12,726 times
The Upper Peninsula wilderness. Everywhere I've been pales in comparison to its' lonely, vast and approachable wilderness. It's like no place on Earth.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:39 PM

62 posts, read 116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
I'm curious as to why you like Florida. It seems like it would be the exact opposite of Michigan.

i lived in citrus county (70 miles north of tampa) for 5 years, i have many many fond memories of that place and all the things i did there. the fishing, the swimming, the wildlife...its alot like michigan in alot of ways and your right, it is the exact opposite in many other ways, but their all good ways

Old 04-04-2011, 05:41 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,619 times
The beautiful summers are my favorite thing about Michigan. Also, the ample winter snowfall. The food is horrendous up here (Traverse City), except for a few good restaurants. The huge supermarket here ( Meijer) is overpriced and is the only Meijer store in their chain that does not accept double coupon discounts. When I spoke to an Exec VP who is with the Meijer chain, he said that the Traverse City Meijer is the most profitable of any of their stores so they are greedy enough not to extend discounts up here

Old 04-04-2011, 08:40 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
My favorite things about Michigan:

1. Summers on Lake Michigan
2. Picking fruit throughout the summer and pumpkins in the fall--love the orchards and fields
3. Fall colors in Northern Michigan
4. My family lives there.
5. The four seasons--winter can be gloomy, like Bydand said, but I even see beauty in winter. Besides the summer is worth the wait.

I miss home.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
My favorite things about Michigan:

1. Summers on Lake Michigan
2. Picking fruit throughout the summer and pumpkins in the fall--love the orchards and fields
3. Fall colors in Northern Michigan
4. My family lives there.
5. The four seasons--winter can be gloomy, like Bydand said, but I even see beauty in winter. Besides the summer is worth the wait.

I miss home.

Oh yeah...definitely love the fruit and veggie stands in MI! I really miss those when I am in Vegas mode. Nothing like fresh sweet corn from MI, with BLTs...the Ts from MI farms too! The very best!!!

Old 04-05-2011, 06:06 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
I love when your heading to the U.P...or just towards that area in general, and the first sight of the mackinaw Bridge towers come into view.....then the feeling you get when you cross the bridge and seems like all your cares just disappear. I love that first sight of Lake Superior...the feeling is incredible! Taking a walk and just relaxing next to one of the many waterfalls is so intoxicating I never want to leave.
I also love our National Forests...just cruising the deep forest dirt roads real slow with all the windows down and the smell of pines and wild blueberries fill the air. I love pulling over and exploring the woods where it seems like there is no one within a hundred miles and just enjoying the sound of the wind through the pines, the smells, and the sounds of the birds coming from somewhere deep in the forest.

Last edited by michmoldman; 04-05-2011 at 06:29 AM..

Old 04-05-2011, 07:36 AM

I was thinking about this yesterday....most of the things people have written are nature related...so I was thinking about other things...

I LOVE MI cider mills, a true fall favorite. I love the availability of farms that open up to the public for tours, u-pick and all the farm animals. The fact that there are so many who educate children through school field trips and such.

I feel like some of these simple things are taken for granted by those who have grown up here, until they move away. For instance, since I live part time in Vegas I have seen the differences. Some better, some not. The fall in MI is definitely better. In Vegas there are no pumpkin farms...everything is done in parking lots. They have some hay bales and maybe a bounce house, but certainly no hay mazes, corn mazes, animals, fresh cider and donuts...none of that which has always welcomed in autumn to me. Their locals don't know the difference. I kind of felt bad for the kids!

Old 04-06-2011, 02:41 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Mind you, Nevada is not a farming state...I have lived in other states and travelled through all of them except AK, and open farms/farm stands/markets/cider mills are abundant in any state with a strong agricultural base. California is amazing for "fresh road-side food", the best I've seen anywhere! (Not to mention wineries in NoCa - granted I have never done any wineries here in Michigan.)

I have to say, Detroit's Eastern market (and on a much smaller scale, Flint's year-around farmers market) are absolute gems. I would miss them if I moved.

I think that so many people mention nature and natural beauty because that really is an amazing feature of this state. I lived in Colorado for years and although gorgeous, I always thouht it overrated on the "natural beauty" front. I can think of quite a few states that are more gorgeous - Tennessee, western Oregon/Washington and MICHIGAN being right at the top of the list.

Low real estate and housing costs: another thing I love about this state!

Also the dog community - sporting, trials, events. Michigan is awesome for anyone involved in doing any sort of competition or sport with dogs. Home to UKC and CPE...there are dog events every weekend. Way more than most other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan