Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 05:35 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,634,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim12 View Post
Thanks. I'm finally in Israel and went to the mahal office and got the ball rolling, so to speak. Man....it took forever to get here. Anyway thanks again i'll refrain from asking dumb questions in the future.
Quote:
Well I didn't get in the IDF. They rejected for religious reasons( Christians not allowed). So anyone thinking bout joining u gotta be an atheist jew or religious in Judaism. The Internet lies. Then I went to France and got into the FFL. One hell of an experience. Took me bout 4 years of trying to join a military to eventually get here.. IQ test wasnt too hard. I squinted on the eye test and barely passed according to the doc. I know now that getting in mostly has to do with your attitude. You have to work hard for 2 weeks in aubagne doing real s#$t work. But u gotta have the attitude. At least that's what I think. Honestly they selected a bunch of guys who ended up deserting and rejected some fit candidates. So im not sure how they go about with selection. Almost random. And after there will be lots of corvee(an example is cleaning toilets). Corvee every day. But all in all its a great experience. And they will take anyone with glasses. My eyesight now is 20/400. In dioptres it's -6 or more in each eye. Thats -12 total. So I already passed the -10 limit. So glasses arent a problem at all. Thanks to all for the responses and info in the past.
Quote:
Man reading my old posts sure is nostalgic. Damn this post is old
Please tell me you aren't pulling our legs......? It was really a surprise to see you posting again and I, for one, appreciate you coming back to update.

Waiting for another update......LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 04:05 AM

586 posts, read 831,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Do the still speak German in the French Foreign Legion?
No they don't.

I joined in Jan 1990 and retired last year and the only time I was spoken too in German during training was if I was sworn at by a German Instructor. There was an influx of former German soldiers who joined the LÉ after WW2 so that may have been where that comes from.

There is only one official language and that is French, you do after all swear allegiance to the 'Legion and to France. During training speaking any other language outside of barracks is against reg's and will be punished and you can get a reprimand if you do it too much once you reach your regiment.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:57 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,410,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
There is a book written by a FFL guy from the UK.
The book is called Mouthful of Rocks.

https://www.amazon.com/Mouthful-Rock.../dp/0671728016
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues