Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 05:10 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim12 View Post
The recruiter told me that i need a g.e.d. And 15 college credits to join because of their new policy. I would have to take a semester of college for bout 4 months. I dont have the money to go to college and a plane ticket to France or Israel would be Alot cheaper. i dont want to get any free government program help cause i think that nothing in this world is free. I didnt take the ASVAB cause i talked with the recruiter over the phone. I asked him if i scored high on the ASVAB and had a g.e.d. Could i could avoid college. He told me no. I said i just wanted infantry and he told me no also. So i started considering other options like the FFL and IDF. And i want to see combat cause i respect people who risk their lives for the freedom of others. I guess i want first hand experience at what happens over in Israel and Afghanistan. Also i want some kind of an adventure.

Allrigth, I'm genuingly trying to help.

Don't knwo much about the Isralies, but they arn't really in much combat day to day... more in danger every day.

FFL:
I've known guys and have a buddy who did a hitch after being a Greenie Beenie.

You may get told to go build a road or soemthing... and you have NO say so.

As to the 'can't join the Corps' thing, you STILL havn't posted your ASVAB score...

BUT:

15 hours...

There's this thing called CLEP.

$102= 3 Credit hours.

You can sign up to take ONE 5 week online class and then CLEP out of 4 classes (At a cost of just over $400) and have yoru 15 hours in less than 6 weeks.

THEN... ALL of these options become more available... for less than a flight.

But my advice:
DO the backpacking thing... You arn't ready.

(And DON'T do infantry if you don't like camping)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 08:35 PM

30 posts, read 103,980 times
thanks manwithnoname! I'll look into that. And i like camping, it's just that i do it too often.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:40 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,199,385 times
Quote:
The recruiter told me that i need a g.e.d. And 15 college credits to join because of their new policy. I would have to take a semester of college for bout 4 months. I dont have the money to go to college and a plane ticket to France or Israel would be Alot cheaper. i dont want to get any free government program help cause i think that nothing in this world is free. I didnt take the ASVAB cause i talked with the recruiter over the phone. I asked him if i scored high on the ASVAB and had a g.e.d. Could i could avoid college. He told me no. I said i just wanted infantry and he told me no also. So i started considering other options like the FFL and IDF. And i want to see combat cause i respect people who risk their lives for the freedom of others. I guess i want first hand experience at what happens over in Israel and Afghanistan. Also i want some kind of an adventure.

You really need to do more research, I'm taking 9 credit-hours of classes at ENMU-Ruidoso (community college) and let me tell you, it was less than 500 bucks. Less than 400. It came out to 360 dollars for two online classes, an EMS class, and the "lab fees" for that are included. 15 credit-hours at a community college (one full semester) would probably come out to 1500 dollars, which is about a month of flipping burgers at McDonald's.

You also need to take the ASVAB, and score well on it. Just because infantry is easier (somewhat, and it's relative..) to get into than other occupations in the military, doesn't mean that they take people who are uneducated. Our all-volunteer forces here in the US are at something like 80% high school diploma and 70%+ with at least some college courses.. so I think you need to take some time, do what you gotta do, and get on with it if that's what you really want to do.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:43 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,849 times
Quote:
... I want to save lives and stop terrorists... i have no high school diploma.
You're a PERFECT fit for the TSA. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the actual job description for TSA screeners.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:49 PM

What's the TSA and what makes you think i'd "fit" in that group? By the way i still want to know the differences between the training of the USMC,FFL, and IDF.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:17 PM

By the way, i do know what the tsa is. And i would never work at an airport.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:36 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
And i would never work at an airport.
I have worked in an airport. I am also a retired U.S. Army Soldier and I also am a Private Pilot... My wife is also a Private Pilot...

You have something against people who work in an airport?

I have washed dishes at hotels in Miami Beach (and I washed pots and pans on KP). I wonder about a soldier who is willing to refuse a job or task above his liking...

Rich

Old 07-03-2011, 03:36 PM

Didnt mean to offend you poncho. I got nothing against the tsa, its just that i'd prefer not to work at an airport.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:46 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,199,385 times
If you really think that you'd be saving lives and stopping terrorists, I think you are sadly mistaken. That's my final piece.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:42 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,603,432 times
Quote:
What's the TSA and what makes you think i'd "fit" in that group? By the way i still want to know the differences between the training of the USMC,FFL, and IDF.

If you really want to know you need to research it somewhere. Don't just assume if you ask on here someone will tell you everything you want to know. In this life if you want to know something seek out the answer. No one will hand you everything in this life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues