Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:26 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times

Advertisements

I recently picked up a book at Books a Million about an autobiography of Aaron Cohen who joins the IDF and the Israeli Special Forces unit "SAYERET DUVDEVAN". He did what you want to do maybe a little more than you, but it gives you an idea of what you need to do.

Brotherhood of Warriors: Behind Enemy Lines with a Commando in One of the World's Most Elite Counterterrorism Units,

Here's the editorial review..

"Beverly Hills native Aaron Cohen was 18 years old when he left behind his privileged American life with the single-minded ambition of joining Israel's top anti-terrorist commando unit. After 15 months of grueling training, Cohen was offered the only post a non-Israeli can hold: a top-secret, highly controversial unit that dispatches operatives disguised as Arabs into the Palestinian-controlled West Bank to abduct Hamas leaders and bring them to Israel for trial. Cohen learned flawless Arabic, lost all semblance of his all-American appearance, and participated in countless life-or-death missions. A propulsive, gripping read, Cohen's story is a rare fly-on-the-wall view into the shadowy world of "Black Ops"."

and the link...

Amazon.com: Brotherhood of Warriors: Behind Enemy Lines with a Commando in One of the World's Most Elite Counterterrorism Units (Audible Audio Edition): Aaron Cohen, Douglas Century, David Drummond: Books

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 08:33 PM

30 posts, read 103,952 times
Thanks bellhead! I'll read up on that. Could i join s Sayeret even though i wear glasses? I got 20/360 vision.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:30 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim12 View Post
They only accept accredited high school diplomas. My parents taught me with their own curriculum and never made me a diploma. The USMC recruiter told me that it's got to be accredited. But this has nothing to do with my question. Please stick to the topic.
I've been medically retired from the Corps for 2 years.

Your statement above is not true.

October is the new fiscal year, it will be easier then.

IF your scores are good enough... you MAY need a GED... if that won't work a few College classes with also be an option.

Infantry... they will work with you.
(I was an 0311/0321)

More important question: (As a Combat vet)
WHY do you want to 'see combat'?

Old 07-02-2011, 12:41 AM

The recruiter told me that i need a g.e.d. And 15 college credits to join because of their new policy. I would have to take a semester of college for bout 4 months. I dont have the money to go to college and a plane ticket to France or Israel would be Alot cheaper. i dont want to get any free government program help cause i think that nothing in this world is free. I didnt take the ASVAB cause i talked with the recruiter over the phone. I asked him if i scored high on the ASVAB and had a g.e.d. Could i could avoid college. He told me no. I said i just wanted infantry and he told me no also. So i started considering other options like the FFL and IDF. And i want to see combat cause i respect people who risk their lives for the freedom of others. I guess i want first hand experience at what happens over in Israel and Afghanistan. Also i want some kind of an adventure.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
And i want to see combat cause i respect people who risk their lives for the freedom of others. I guess i want first hand experience at what happens over in Israel and Afghanistan. Also i want some kind of an adventure.
Dont Isreali citizens have to serve a couple of years in the military?Conscription?
As for wishing to go to a war zone to get some action theres no guarantee you'll come back alive from this action adventure.
If its adventure you want buy a back pack and start hitch hiking around North America for a few years,not as cushy as the armed forces and still no guarantee you'll come back alive but you also dont need a diploma and i guarantee you will come home with memories to last a lifetime..

Old 07-02-2011, 12:13 PM

Yes, all Israeli citizens are drafted in the army when they turn 18. And i've done plenty "camping trips" and they arent that great. I want to join for training and first hand experience in Israel or Afghanistan. I WILL join one of them. I am pretty physically fit. I can do 65 pushups, 20 pullups, and can run 2 miles in 15 minutes, so i think im physically prepared for whichever one i choose. Im still working on my running. To remind everybody, my questions were which should i join( cause i want some good advice). The IDF or the FFL (if i want to see action and get well trained). Also what's the difference between the training of the USMC, the FFL, and the IDF. Also can i get into a Sayeret with glasses? Thanks.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:38 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Maybe you should ask someone from the FFL or IDF. They would have the best information for you.

I wouldn't go in asking for front line combat though. That sends up a big red flag. No one should want to shoot at another human.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:44 PM

I dont want to shoot anybody unless they shoot at me. I want to be in the infantry to stop terrorists, not to kill people.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:02 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
And i've done plenty "camping trips" and they arent that great..
I wasnt thinking camping trips i was thinking more along the lines of being somewhat homeless and living by your wits to survive for a year or two just hitch hiking around the country..
Army? 3 squares a day and usually a bed to sleep in and you get paid sounds kinda easy by comparison....

Old 07-02-2011, 04:40 PM

Sorry. Thought you were saying "camping trips".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues